“Pleasant stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels in Doral
Brighton
“Pleasant stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

Stayed one night pre-cruise. It was also the weekend of the ultra festival so Miami was pretty packed. It was a really good stay, the room was nice. Just perfect for one night.

There are some good restaurants near by, just a few minutes drive away.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Lakeland, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

We planned a last minute road trip from Central FL to Miami Thursday afternoon to leave early Friday morning! Booked as a 'Name your own price' deal on Priceline and paid base $150 a night for a room with one bed but upgraded to a suite with a sofa bed upon arrival since we had our children with us. The upgrate was quoted at $20 extra per night but ended up being around $33 total, well worth it for the extra space. We arrived at the hotel around noon Friday and was able to check in early with no issues, front desk staff was very accomidating and friendly.
The room had a (broken) DVD/VCR with the flat screen TV in the living area, recliner, sofabed, full kitchen, large bathroom but no exhaust fan so it became hot and muggy quickly, bedroom with full size bed (no way that was a queen size)... The room was ICE cold when we came in and we turned the heat up to 75 and left it like that for the 2 nights we spent here! There are no towels for the pool, you will use the ones in your bathroom and exchange them at the front desk for clean ones an necessary. The front desk could not fix or exchange the broken DVD player durring our stay because they said all the rooms were booked but they were able to provide take out menus, extra blankets and pillows when asked. We had no other issues with the room or hotel durring our stay, for this price we might come back again but i think the La Quinta next door has more to offer and the same price.
We visited South Beach, Downtown Miami, Dolphin Mall, Mall of the Americas, Walmart while staying here... there is a Dunkin Donuts a few minutes up on the coner of 27th and 86th (no drive thru), we ordered from Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza ($18 for a large and no delivery) and take out from China King which my husband LOVED, though its alot more pricy then we are used to fo basic Chinese take out but they do deliver for free and the portions are good.
Check out process was easy and the gentleman went over all the extra charges on my bill with me prior to running my card. We drove north to Hollywood Beach (45 minutes) and it was well worth it! We enjoyed it much better than Miami Beach!!

Room Tip: Ask for a 1 bedroom Suite if you have more than 2 people traveling and a room on the 1st floor.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Miami Airport West, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Dear Sarah P,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us.

I am pleased to note that despite some shortfalls, you were still able to enjoy your stay and you were satisfied with the services and amenities that we provide. Guest comfort is of the utmost concern to us and our hotels are committed to making every possible effort to provide a comfortable environment. Your review will be used to consider improvements needed and we hope that you will give us another chance and allow us to make your stay as best as it can be.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Kingston, Jamaica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

Obviously my 5 stars is not an indication of the degree of luxury at this hotel, but more an indication of value. For the location, time of my stay, and quality of the accommodation the price was well worth it. The reservation was in place when I arrived, I got a small gift bag, the staff was pleasant (despite the fact that I arrived pretty late) and the facilities were clean, in good condition, and comfortable. Please don't expect luxury, this is a shade above utilitarian, but I was pleased.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

I usually stay in the Kendall are of Miami during my visits but this time I had business in Doral and this property was available.

Pros: The room was nicely furnished with a contemporary feel.

Cons: Staff at check in seemed disinterested
hotel was dirty. As I took the elevator, there was a can of food placed on the plastic covering just below the lights. still there the following evening before I left.
The room was ice cold when I first checked in. I had to turn it off and slept that way the entire night.
Bathroom mirror had over an inch of dust on the top ledge.
I asked the front desk to have my room cleaned the following day and I was disturbed to see the same dust on the mirror.

Not what I am used to with regards to the hotels I stay in. Next time, Im staying in Kendall as usual.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Miami Airport West, responded to this review, April 5, 2014
Dear Fish_n_ChipsNewYork,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. It is nice to know that our room ambiance met your expectations. However, please accept my sincerest apologies if this stay was less than satisfactory due to the level of service received and maintenance being a disappointment. We take all feedback seriously and your comments will help us improve on what we can offer to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Pam G
Case Manager
IHGCare
Gaithersburg, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

As I searched for an affordable hotel to stay overnight after a recent trip to Trinidad, I was amazed how few affordable options there were near the Miami airport. That said, I am extremely loyal to the IHG group, and so I was pleased to finally find a Candlewood Suites hotel with availability. I’ve stayed in Candlewood Suites before, and have been generally pleased.

Despite being about 5 miles from the airport, access is via an interstate and so what should be a short trip becomes longer (and more costly) because of rush hour traffic and when you cab driver does not know where your hotel is located (or so he claimed) and realizes too late that a prior exit was shifted from one side of the road to the other! We ultimately made it to the hotel with the assistance of my Maps app on my I-phone. You quickly realize that the lower hotel rate become a less of a good deal because there was now a $30 cab fare plus tip – one way!

Having contacted the hotel in advance to request a room on the first floor since I would only be staying one night, I was bummed to arrive around 7pm and to have been assigned a room on the 3rd floor necessitating a ride on the elevator.

The room itself was lovely – close to the elevator, with no obnoxious odors, very clean, lots of towels , comfortable bed, working fridge and microwave, TV that worked fine and lots of outlets for my electronics. The bed was very comfortable as was the recliner. The WiFi worked fine except for periodic hiccups when I did FaceTime with my DH. I kept joking that we FaceTimed daily while I was in Trinidad without a problem and in Miami, I kept having problems. Go figure!

I slept reasonably OK despite the planes flying overhead – another reason why I requested a room on the first floor since others had mentioned airplane noise on the higher floor.

I can't speak about food in the area because I brought dinner in my carry on. I did go down to the pantry on arrival and picked up a juice, bottle of water and a yogurt. Prices were fair.

At check-in I had requested a cab to pick me up at 5:30 am for the airport. The staffer noted in his notebook. Luckily I called down once I was ready in the am and the person at the desk said she would call a cab but she couldn’t place a call in advance of my coming down. What?

Anyway, by the time I headed down with my luggage, my cab arrived. The person at the front desk seemed surprised and said she’d just called. Thirty minutes after my initial call! Plus, the staffer seemed to have major problems getting me checked out. I was getting a bit PO’d and was ready to walk out because my cab was waiting, and she was shuffling around looking for some elusive piece of paper!

Basically, for the cab fare paid ($30 plus tip x 2) plus the room rate, I believe you can find a hotel that’s closer to Miami airport or one with a free hotel shuttle. The hotel itself is lovely but staff are just OK. The word urgent is apparently not in their vocabulary even at 5:30 am in the morning!

If you found this review helpful please indicate below. Thanks!

Room Tip: Avoid top floor if you're a light sleeper. My room overlooked the parking lot which I used to c...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
cheltenham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

We stayed here for one night in a queen bed studio suite and found it to be a quiet, comfortable room on the ground floor. The swimming pool was fine and warm and ideal for a quick dip. There is a do-it-yourself launderette which is free (so ignore the coin operation). We were able to buy breakfast (and other meals if required) which was very handy, and there were facilities there to prepare them. We had not come across Candlewood Suites before and liked the ethics of them.
We found a pub across the very busy NW87th Avenue with quite good food and beer.

Room Tip: We had a quiet room on the ground floor but think all of them would be quiet.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Charlottetown, PEI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

We stayed at this property three separate times over a three week period. Our first stay was for 5 days, than another day following a one-week cruise and then another day after a trip to Guatemala. The staff were extremely friendly and professional. We were able to leave a piece of our cruise luggage at the hotel when we left for our Guatemalan adventure.
Our rooms were better with each consecutive staff. The first room was a very comfortable "studio", the second was on the third floor with a wonderful view of the park, and the third was a one bedroom apartment. Great pool and hot tub.
Given our travel plans the free laundry was a welcome addition. Laundry supplies are available at a cost of $1.50 in the cupboard.
There is a wonderful park just behind the property with a walking/jogging path (inside track about 1 mile, outside track about 1.5 miles). Park is accessible from a gate in the fence at the corner of the building across the parking lot (leave hotel by pool exit).
Coffee shop and several restaurants just at the corner of the street as well as just minutes away. Anthony's Coal Fire Pizza is about a 10 minute walk and Chili's and Flannigan's are about 20 minutes in the opposite direction #all on 87th#. Wal-Mart is near Chili's and Flannigan's. Bank of American ATM near Anthony's. #1 restaurant in Doral, Pappa and Ciccia is about 20 minutes away down 25th but well worth the walk.

Room Tip: Third floor with views of the park!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Doral
Extended Stay America - Miami - Airport - Doral - 87th Avenue South
#7 of 21 in Doral
4.0 of 5 stars 214 reviews
BEST WESTERN PLUS Miami Airport West Inn & Suites
Provident Doral at The Blue Miami

Been to Candlewood Suites Miami Airport West? Share your experiences!