“Good, but not perfect!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 6 hotels in Doral
Lavras, Brazil
“Good, but not perfect!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

Well, I'm a frequent guest. Whenever we (me and my wife) go to Miami, we stay at Candlewood. It's definitely one of my favorite hotels in Miami (I can't even remember the last time we stayed at another hotel). This last time was great, but not perfect. All the staff treated us well, except one of the front desk guys, his name's Pablo. Gosh! I remember I greeted him a couple of times and he said nothing, he didn't even look at me and my wife. He simply ignored us! I felt so bad... You know, year after year staying at Candlewood I got to know all the staff and I always enjoyed talking to them, especially to Shirley, who has been working at the hotel for many years and always treated us very well. So, I strongly suggest Pablo get some customer skills and pay more attention to the guests. It's not that difficult! Observation is the key for success! He only needs to observe how Shirley and Alejandro treat the guests and he'll see how easy it is to treat others with respect and courtesy.

Also, I'd like to say I have nothing against this person (Pablo). I'm only making a suggestion based on my own experience with him.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 2nd floor are better.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

243 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
costa mesa, ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

Our family stayed here post Carnival cruise before we headed back to cali.

I called a few times to see if we could check in a few hours earlier since we got off the ship early, the nice lady at the front said to check back in an hour. I called again to see if we could just leave luggage there, she said yes. So we went to the hotel, then she offered to see if any rooms were available. So I waited, it seemed like a long time, they had to find a room for the person in front of me first. Finally after what seemed like 20-30 minutes, they let me know a room is available and that I could pick the first or 2nd floor. They have an elevator, but I picked the first floor. Luckily our room was next to the back door, so that was great for carrying luggage in and out the room.

The place looked clean. Loved the separate bedroom with the door. modern looking minus the ugly couch with the even more awful sofa bed. I sad on it and immediately felt all the metal bars and springs in the bed. AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL!!! no support, no cushion. everytime i went to sit on it, i would have to gently prop myself on it or else all the springs would poke me. if you don't believe me, try it for yourself!!! worst bed i've ever slept in my life. That would be my #1 complaint of the hotel.

no free breakfast
free parking
they do have free laundry rooms. it has a coin slot, but you just push it in and it'll light up for you to push start. We just went to walmart and grabbed laundry detergent for the 4 of us and did all our laundry from the carribean cruise we just came from.

nice front desk staff.

We found out they carpet clean the rooms everyday!!!! beat that all you other hotels!!!
That is awesome, so awesome i'll come back just to know that our carpets are clean!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Kingston, Jamaica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

My wife and I booked a one bedroom apartment for 13 days. We have so far been here for 10 days. Very nice location and relatively quiet despite its proximity to the Miami International Airport. Location is within easy reach of everywhere and everything. Apartment is very clean and well provided with ample towels, pillows and bed linen. Kitchenette is more than adequate for preparing simple meals and includes a two-burner cooktop, coffee maker, microwave oven, dishwasher, toaster and simple but useful items such as paper towel, dish washing liquid and air freshener. Separate TV sets in the living room and bedroom are a big plus. Storage space is plentiful for an apartment of this size. Staff is friendly and efficient. WiFi in room works well. Free gym and laundry a real boost. The DIY BBQ grill by the poolside is a nice convenience. Very comfortable accommodation. Parking is adequate even when occupancy level seems to be high.
Thankfully, I haven't encountered any pets which could have been a negative.
This is not an apartment hotel, i.e., no restaurant, bar, room service etc., but if you are looking for a nice place to stay undisturbed, prepare your own meals, eat out or order in and at a reasonable price, there is hardly any better place in Miami.
Did I find any faults? Very minor. The shower curtain is a bit too short and the flatware doesn't include soup-size spoons, only teaspoons.
Really good value for money!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

Very pleasantly surprised. Nice quiet area, but everything is a short drive away.
The people at the front desk are very friendly and go above and beyond to make you feel at home.
The rooms are nicely decorated and large. The kitchenettes are great.
I loved that you could rent dvd's from the front desk.
The washing area was very helpful, and so was the mini mart.
I will certainly go back!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

No words to say how good was this stay, was also special due to my mother's first time visit to Miami. Great location, convenient and people are great (with the exception of the afternoon receptionist). The lady who performed our check in was fantastic, proactive when we needed to change the room for the smoking smell, young receptionist guy need to be trained in delivering a better service.

Stayed November 2013
Kingstown, St. Vincent
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

stayed here the first time while in miami , got a suite for 1 and was good. had a ground floor room , full kitchen and a confortable room.
parking was good and plentigul, washing facilities was great, and the mini mart on site was stocked well.
close to all the restaurants and super wal mart also nearby, airport like a few mins away, all the main highways less than 2 miles away.
great place to stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Syracuse, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

We had expected "the usual" hotel room when we made reservations. Not the case with this Candlewood! We had a large room with a kitchenette area which we didn't expect. Since we were only staying overnight I didn't look at the hotel amenities when we booked it. What a nice surprise for such a reasonable rate! Set back on a side road it was very quite even though we were only a couple of miles from the airport. Clean, plenty of parking and very close to shopping and restaurants. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We were so impressed we made it a point to stay at another Candlewood in Ft. Lauderdale before our return flight home.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Candlewood Suites Miami Airport West? Share your experiences!