“Almost perfect” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Provident Doral at The Blue Miami

Save Saved
You added Provident Doral at The Blue Miami to your Saves list
Provident Doral at The Blue Miami
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5300 NW 87 Avenue, Doral, FL 33178 (Formerly Hyatt Miami at The Blue)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 6 hotels in Doral
Toronto
“Almost perfect”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

The property backs onto the famous Doral golf course and is on a direct flight path for the Miami airport but neither are real annoyances. The pool area was elegant and inviting. Rooms are in low-rise buildings that are older and the exterior walls seemed to need a fresh coat of paint or was just plain dirty/dusty. My unit's walkout was also dirty/dusty and there was litter on the surrounding grounds that must have been there for months. Once inside your unit though, you'll be in awe of the incredibly spacious, immaculate, luxurious, and well-appointed rooms. The designer kitchen with stainless steel appliances is what you might expect in a luxury home. The spa-like bathrooms were divine especially the magnificent rain shower. I normally don't comment on the mattress since it's such a personal thing but I found the Restonic brand spectacular. Overall, it was a truly memorable stay except for some minor issues of exterior upkeep/maintenance.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
jbersier, Sales Coordinator at Provident Doral at The Blue Miami, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I have reviewed your comments and have shared them with our approrpriate team members.

We are delighted to hear that you did enjoy your stay and hope that you will allow us the opportunity to host your stay in the future.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I may be of any future assistance.

560 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Tampa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

This is an amazing hotel. I stayed there with my family and we will be back. Great and clean rooms, friendly and helpfull staff and amazing food at the restaurant. You are just minutes away from the airport. The bathroom is awesome: great shower, nice tub and TV. I watched the basketball game in the tub. They have a nice pool area.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
jbersier, Sales Coordinator at Provident Doral at The Blue Miami, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback regarding your recent stay.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to your return!

Should you need any assistance with future plans please do not hesitate to contact me as I will be more than happy to assist.

Marlton, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We stayed here in November, 2012. We stayed in one of the larger spaces with three bedrooms, four bathrooms and two levels. The place was huge. It could have slept at least three families comfortably. The interior space was very clean. The bathrooms were large and also clean. The kitchen was large enough for us to prepare meals and host guests. The back rooms have a balcony and a nice view of the golf course.

The gym was acceptable, but not great. It had two treadmills, an elliptical machine, a bicycle, a bench, some dumbells and a pulley machine. It was rather small. The pool area was just OK. The heater was broken, so it was pretty cold.

We had a couple of issues to speak with the front desk about. I found the staff to be very helpful and courteous.

The hotel is on a good location near major highways and the airport. It is not close to Miami Beach, but then again what is? Overall it was pretty expensive, but a great place to stay if you need some space.

Miami, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

The Hyatt at The Blue in Doral is close to MIA, but away from the bad neighborhood and congestion immediately surrounding the airport. It is centered in Doral, which is convenient to most everything in Miami. Rooms are large efficiency style with modern furniture and beautiful views to the Blue Monser Course at the Trump National Doral. The property is kept very clean and the pool and pool deck are set in a nice tropical setting. The price of the rooms are comparable or even lower than other hotels in the area. Highly recommend.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Miami, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

The extremely poor level of service I have been encountered at the Hyatt Miami at the Blue in Doral, Florida has left me completely disilliusioned about the Hyatt chain of hotels.

I checked into the property on the evening of 27th October 2012, with the intention to check out on 30th November 2012, a period of approximately 5 weeks. However, I encountered problem after problem since the very first day I checked in, leaving me completely frustrated and annoyed with the management and staff of the hotel. Here are some 'happy' events.

1. Internet and wireless connectivity within the room.
This must surely be one of the most basic services that guests expect from a hotel, in this day and age. However, at this property, it is a constant challenge to capture a wireless network of sufficient stability and strength as to be able to conduct basic communication with the outside world. The norm here seems to be that good signal strength is like striking the lottery....only if you are very lucky. Perhaps they expect that guests should step out of their rooms each time they want to make or receive a telephone call on their mobile devices. Although several reports were made to the management and Front Desk regarding the poor or non-existent wireless signal, the problem still exist.

2. Inability of the staff to make the hotel internal telephone system work.
As a result of the poor wireless communication system in the hotel, attempts were made by me to call Singapore (where I live), via the hotel telephone system. All attempts failed; the hotel telephone operator was unable to connect the calls. To make matters worse, she even had the gumption to suggest that I did not know the telephone number of my own home in Singapore, and had given her the wrong number! How preposterous! As my family had not been able to call me on my mobile device (due to the non-existent network signal), they attempted to call me via the hotel switchboard, incurring long distance charges on each of the three attempts made. But...the hotel telephone operator did not know how to connect the calls to my room, resulting in money wasted. And, as if to add insult to injury, the hotel added an $8 charge to my bill for one of my failed attempts to call Singapore via the hotel switchboard. Charming!

3. Hotel Shuttle Service.
The hotel provides a free shuttle service for guests, to destinations within a 5-mile radius. As my office is 2 miles (5 mins) away, and I do not drive, I was dropped off at the office on the first three working days of my stay. This courtesy was, however, withdrawn from the fourth day on, on grounds that the staff were busy....driving other guests to the same area (I checked with the other guests.) This smacks of discrimination, and I'm just wondering if I'm being targeted because I am a foreigner (and an oriental at that) and not a Caucasian.

4. Taxi Service.
On the two occasions that I have needed to request for a taxi to take me places, one particular hotel staff - name withheld- has conveniently ordered a limousine service to ferry me to my destination, at great cost to me. On the first occasion, I had just arrived at the hotel the previous day, and thus was not aware that regular metered taxis were also available to be called. However, on the second occasion too, this staff very quickly called for a limousine, citing heavy traffic as the reason for her not calling for a metered taxi. This episode has me wondering whether any of the staff are receiving kickbacks for summoning the limousine each time a guest requests a taxi.

5. Room Maintenance.
On the first day that I arrived, I noticed that the blackout curtains in my room were coming off the rails, and needed to be re-installed. Over a period of one week, the front desk was informed of it no less than three times, but still nothing was done. It was only after I actually accosted the hotel Duty Manager that the problem was fixed. This makes me wonder if the property's maintenance team is understaffed, or not bothered, or the front desk could not care less. In any case, this does not reflect well on the management of the hotel.

6. Housekeeping.
It looks like amenities are not required to be replenished once they run out. Instance #1 - the Note Pad on the bedside table had run out, and I specifically left the folder open, with the empty backing visible, so the housekeeping staff could replenish it, but to my extreme surprise and bemusement, they had carefully put the empty backing piece back into the folder and closed it; no replacement note pad! Instance #2 - the room had run out of toilet paper, but none was replenished until I stuck a Post-it Note on the Bathroom mirror requesting for more!

7. Staff Attitude and Efficiency.
After having stayed at the property for a couple weeks, I came to realise that the staff there (especially the front office staff) were not too happy with guests making requests of them. In particular, I found that the front desk staff named above to be especially rude and unhelpful. In addition, it has become rather clear to me that the staff are unable to multi-task or handle more than one request at a time; the second or further request was usually forgotten and left unfulfilled until asked again.

8. Attempts at service recovery.
After much goading and prompting, I eventually found out that the management of the property were planning to offer me 2500 points as service recovery, an amount so paltry it insulted me. The minimum number of points required for a free room night at a Cat 1 (Basic) Hyatt property is 5000 points, and a room night at the Hyatt Blue (a Cat 3 hotel) is 15000 points. So, the 2500 points offered would have even give me one night's stay anywhere in the Hyatt network. (I'm just SO overwhelmed by their generosity!)!

In a nutshell.....if you are considering a visit to Miami, don't bother with a stay at the Hyatt Blue, unless you enjoy pain and frustration

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
jbersier, Sales Coordinator at Provident Doral at The Blue Miami, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. It is through comments like yours that we are able to continously improve.

We sincerely apologize for the challenges you encountered during your stay at our property and would like to assure you it is not the level of service we aim to provide.

I would love the opportunity to further discuss with you and can be reached at 305-640-6700 or via email at jbersier@hyattmiamiblue.com.

Should I be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

La Gaude, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for 5 nights during a business trip. It was close to the office I visited and also from the airport so very convenient.
Room was big, very well furnished with top kitchen appliances. Everything was very clean and tidy, the room had a small terrace, but next time I'll ask for a higher floor to get a proper view on the golf course ( I was on ground floor)
Small drawbacks: even though the tv was recent and large, the programs were really not up to the standard, only one or two hd channels and the rest was not even watchable for some...
The Internet access was ok but the usage of VPN was not permitted ( I did not bother asking the hotel staff about it) and I had to reboot the wifi router a couple of times during the week.

Overall a very pleasant experience, and the best sleeps I have ever had in a hotel, thanks to quietness of the place and quality of the bed

Room Tip: Choose a high floor to get a nice view on the golf course
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

My experience at the Hyatt was very pleasant. I don't think many people have commented on the room service & maid service - impeccable. Very friendly staff. I don't think many people have commented on their breakfast menu either, it's amazing.

I would highly recommend staying here to people who want a nice place where they can self-cater. the kitchen was fully equipped with utensils, pots, pans, glasses and so on. I will definitely stay here again if I visit in the future. I was caught in the Isaac storm, which didn't really hit Miami, but regardless of that, the hotel take safety of their guests as a priority. Overall, a very well run Hotel, friendly staff and a great location in Doral.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
jbersier, Sales Coordinator at Provident Doral at The Blue Miami, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us in regards to your recent stay.

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our property and appreciate your nice words about our staff!

Should your travels lead you back to Miami we hope that you will return to stay with us.

If i may be of any future assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Jessica

Been to Provident Doral at The Blue Miami? Share your experiences!