“horrible the worst place i have ever been too” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
San Jose, Costa Rica
“horrible the worst place i have ever been too”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

stay away.horrible food and service. in 6 months this place will be a mailbox etc becuse it will be closed. we went because we saw a segment on deco drive.we wanted to try the korean bar b Q...
the waiter threw the plates down on the table as if we were bothering him. we ordered 1 teriyaki chicken(18.00).we got a bowl of rice that was stuck together like a baseball.it was a piece of chicken with some kind of sauce on it with nothing else(no vegetables cabbage etc.)that was terrible tasting.
we odered only 1 order(thank god) (24.00)_of what they call korean bar b q. they served us a ny strip steak that was cut in half with no seasoning(NOT THINLY SLICED MEAT SEASONED WITH GARLIC ETC.. LIKE OTHER PLACES IN THE WORLD) .and a pair of dirty scissors to cut it with.i asked for a knife to cut the thick piece of steak(the waiter brought me a butter knife) on top of that on the bill there was an 18 per cent tip included.I DID NOT PAY THE TIP BECAUSE I COMPLAINED HOW HORRIBLE IT WAS(I DID PAY THE BILL 50.00 FOR GARBAGE...

• Visited July 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Miami, Florida
“OK food / really bad service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

We live close to this restaurant and we have tried to like it. I have eaten there a number of time for business and several times we have gone there for Mothers Day and other occasions.

So yesterday on Mother's Day we decided to try again, but because of the consistently inconsistent service we decided to order it to go. I arrive to the restaurant at the time the woman said it would be done. After waiting for someone to greet me I finally grab someone and ask for a take out order. She asked my name and I told it to her. I watch then for 15 minutes while all sorts of 15 year old girls flutter in and out, typical barrage of kisses hugs and everyone just forgets about business for awhile.

So finally another little girl asks me what I want. I asked here about my take out order, and she says, ok, whats your name. OK for the second time I give it and she runs off. 5 minutes comes back and grabs the food off the back of the hostess station. It had been there the entire time. Get home and the salad was missing from our order.

No more, we are done, glad you other folks like it....

• Visited May 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Attleboro, Massachusetts
“Better than average hibachi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

Initially, we were not going to go, but was staying at the Doral for the weekend and was in the mood for hibachi. I read the reviews on Yelp and Trip Advisor and off we went.

Located in a strip mall in Doral, it looks very small from the outside,but once inside you realize that it is very clean and large - with 2 sides. One for hibachi, the bar is in between and the other side for Japanese and Korean. We looked at the meinu and decided on hibachi, but i would def like to try the Korean BBQ.

They seated us with one other couple and so there were only 4 people. I have been to places were they make you wait until the grill is almost ful before they send the chef out, but not here. The hibachi dinner includes soup, salad, white rice and vegetables with the entree.

Let me say that they do not use a lot of seasoning here. No salt, very little soy sauce or teriyaki sauce when cooking any thing. They don't even use minced or chopped garlic, but rely on garlic butter for the garlic flavor. So if you really like more soy sauce flavor, you have to ask. Same for the entrees. They do add lots of sesame seeds to everything. So while it worked for me most of the time, I did feel the fried rice was bland and really just white rice with stuff mixed in with a hint of soy flavor. My BF thought most of the food was too bland. But every chef is different so it could be different next time.

Summary: The soup was ok. Not hot enough, and not my favorite. Everyone else seemed to like it. The salad was fresh lettuce, with some cabbage and a tomato with ginger dressing. Good, not exceptional. We ordered the fried rice
(white rice made with bits of chicken breast, peas, egg (a little over-cooked- the grill was too hot). It was pretty good if a bit bland. I had shrimp, scallops and filet. ($32.95) Shrimp (a bit on the small size) was good, and scallops were EXCELLENT. Big and cooked perfectly- which is unuusal in a hibachi. Filet was good, but again, no salt, little flavor so I didn't finish it. BF had shrimp, scallops and tuna ($34.95). Tuna was a disappointment. The chef asked him how he wanted it cooked and he ordered it med rare. It was, but it had veen very cold when put on the grill, and so in the flash grill to make it med rare, it was still cold when on the plate. Also, NO seasoning on that, so I did not like it. He said it was only ok. Vegetables were a mix of zucchini, onions, bean sprouts, etc. Pretty standard mix but really good. Prices ranged from $18 for shrimp and sirloin to $40 for double lobster tails.

The "show". Maybe because there were only 4 of us, the chef did not feel the need to do anything. He did the obligatory rolling of the egg, and onion volcano only. No beating heart with rice, no flipping shrimp tails, or pieces of zucchini. I was ok with it, but the other couple had not been to hibachi in over 10 years, and they were disappointed. Service was efficient and they refilled the hot tea often.

So I would definitely go back to try the Korean BBQ. Maybe the hibachi but only get scallops and shrimp and ask for more seasoning and less garlic butter. The bar looked fun and they do have specials. A nice change from the many chain restaurants and when you don't really know the area.

• Visited March 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Miami, Florida
“Good Food... front of the house needs attention to customer service.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2011

We enjoy going to Soowoo for Hibachi. The food is good. The chefs are very courteous and entertaining. Our servers are also was also very good. However, there is a gap in service that cannot be ignored which we have observed after visiting on three occasions. When you arrive to the restaurant the host greets you and ask you if you would like hibachi or regular seating. They seat you and then you wait, and wait, and wait. They do not seem to inform the servers that there is a customer that has just been seated. On two occasions I have had to ask the host to advise a server we were seated and need service. On the recent visit when I made this request, the hostess looked at me like I had three heads.
This place is not inexpensive and if I am expected to pay for quality then I expect it.
Like I said before the food is very good, the waiters are good once they have an idea that we exist but that is not the total experience we come to expect. So, get it together SooWoo !!!

• Visited December 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Miami, Florida
“Great place to eat japenese food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

I found out about this place through restaurant.com and i dont regret it. This place is very spacious, food is great and everyday they have different deals going on. If you go for lunch during the week i suggest you get there for early lunch, this restaurant is located in a very busy shopping center next to Publix so parking is hard to find.

Soo woo offers different types of japenese food and when you arrive you are asked if you want sushi or the hibachi grill. The hibachi grill is similar to Benihana but the chefs are more entertaining. The sushi has great fresh taste and the prices are average,i had shrimp tempura and was tasty. Sushi lunch specials are usually bento boxes that range from $9.99 to over $16.00+.

On fridays the have live musicians playing jazz and singing Cuban music, it was a huge surprise for me because it was definitively not expected for a japeneserestaurant.

I recommend this place.