“Typical American/Italian chain restaurant” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #8 of 178 Restaurants in Doral
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: DIVIETO / ProhibitionIn 1889, the Farina Family left Catania, Sicily, in search of new opportunities; they arrived to New York on a colorful autumn day and were welcomed by the newly unveiled Statue of Liberty.Weekends at grandma’s were special for the children, in particular for young Filippo who enjoyed helping La Nonna prepare Sunday brunch.As Filippo grew, so did his love for the kitchen. He worked in different local restaurants washing dishes and doing small chores, but soon enough his efforts paid off and cooks would fight over Filippo’s hard work. His pass through several venues in “Little Italy” taught him the use of some American products in Italian cuisine, a novelty to him as these were seldom used in La Nonna’s kitchen.In the mid 20’s he began working in his uncle Ciccio’s Trattoria where combining his newly acquired knowledge of American kitchen basics with La Nonna’s secret recipes soon made his cooking a local favorite.Word quickly spread and people from all over New York would flock in to taste this new cuisine and meet Filippo, which made Italians undoubtedly proud.Filippo was left in charge of the trattoria in the early 30’s. The already famous restaurant became a favorite hot spot for politicians, artists and even a few members of the “Commission”, which handled business for “La Cosa Nostra” in the United States. Such unusual crowd spiked the curiosity of locals. It is with this family anecdote, paying tribute to La Nonna’s recipes and Filippos creative talent in the kitchen, that we bring to you DIVIETO. A celebration of the origin of a new culinary trend: the fusion between Italian and American cuisine.
Grand Cayman
“Typical American/Italian chain restaurant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

We recently had dinner here for a quick dine and dash before catching our flight out of MIA.
Divieto is nothing spectacular, your average Italian chain like restaurant, huge portions of course!
We did have a very nice 'danny devito' lookalike server!!!
We would eat here again primarily because of it's location to the airport. It did look like it had a lot of local diners.

Visited May 2013

Raleigh, North Carolina
“What ARE you?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

I can see that in tripadvisor you are listed as "Italian American Fusion" and "Italian Restaurant" . My question is.... what part of "American Fusion" means "Jicama Tacos" , "Jerk Tuna", "Tempura Sashimi Roll" , "Thai Chicken Wraps"?????? The only thing close I see here is "Fusion",,, as in CONfusion. The service was confused "What would you like to drink?" "What Lite beer do you have?" "Coors and Bud" ..."Ok.. I'll take Bud"... "Ok... one Coors Lite..." I asked "You mean you DON'T have Bud?" "Oh yes... we do.. "
I asked for Unsweet tea.... got sweet.
I asked for Divieto Special Steak... and was talked out of it by the waiter in favor of the "special" , which ended up more fat than meat. The folks that had the Pork Shank Osobucco .. but I will take a page out of Gordon Ramsay's book.... figure out what you are,,, and then focus on that. Right now you're a mess.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Trinidad
“Family evening”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Four of us went here for dinner on Sunday evening. We dined outside which was very cool.We had chicken lentil soup; Thai wrap;pot stickers which tasted really good and pasta and something called Frutti Di Mari. The ambience of the place was very quiet and relaxing. I enjoyed the meal very much. The only disappointment was there was no Cannoli for dessert which I was looking forward to. The price was ok and the service was great.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Order pizza then run”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

I ate with the wife and kids at this restaurant and it was horrible the only reason I don't give this place a one is because I ordered a margarita pizza as a appetizer and it was really good my wife ordered the chicken parm and I ordered the grouper it tasted like a piece of fish out of a frozen box the linguini was bland it was just not good at all if I go back it will be for the pizza and that's it.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
DivietoRistorante, General Manager at Divieto Italian-American Fusion, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Acrespo79,

I would like to take the time to introduce myself. My name is Joan Saenz I am the General Manager of Divieto Italian-American Fusion. Our restaurant takes great pride in the quality of our detailed service and fresh food. It saddens me to hear that your meal was unsatisfactory. I can assure your that measures are being taken so this doesn't happen again. I know it is disappointing to go out with you family and not have the great dining experience you expected. Please give us the opportunity to wow you like our guests are accustomed too. If you could please contact the restaurant and provide us your phone number so I may speak with you about the incident (to better serve future guests) and invite you and your family as my guests. I look forward to hearing from you. Sincerely, Joan Saenz.
Rapid City, South Dakota
“From REAL Italians in South Dakota”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

My husband & I just celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary with a cruise & trip to Florida. We are BOTH Italian natives & try Italian restaurants all over the nation when we travel looking for the REAL mccoy & we found it in Miami! After seeing the great selections on a menu we received on the ship, we had to go taste for ourselves. The food, its presentation & portions surpassed our expectations. We had the Veal Ravioli & Chicken Madeira!! with Brancott (they have other great wine selections too!) For dessert, they have the most splendid Tiramisu we have had in the USA. The service is really impressive. The staff and service is filled with positive energy and personality! We really enjoyed them. From the enthusiastic representatives on the cruise ship, to the warm welcoming server that took great care of us with such personal detail at the restaurant, & up until the moment we finished our meal to walk out your doors, the staff was DELIGHTFUL. Every establishment should be so lucky!! We'll be back during the summer with the family & will be stopping in for a home cooked styled meal!! Thank you ALL for such a great dining experience. See you in the summer!!! - Carol K.

• Visited April 2013