“Decent stay, but everything is way overpriced” 4 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Doral
GreenLeadersSilver level
Austin, Texas
“Decent stay, but everything is way overpriced”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

I stayed at the this hotel twice (both times for 1 week) between April and May 2013. I liked the hotel, and most of the staff was really friendly and helpful. I asked for late check-outs both times, and they happily accommodated me.
What I didn't like:
- you have to pay for everything! Breakfast, internet, an extra bottle of water. I know my company will cover it for me, but it still seems strange to be paying for WIFI, I haven't paid for WIFI while traveling for business for while..
- breakfast: really good selection: from healthy to hearty, but 23 bucks for breakfast every days is way too much
- you can't open a window.. I don't know, maybe the area around the hotel is extremely dangerous (didn't look like it though!), but it really bothered me that I could not get any fresh air in the room

On the plus side, the bed was very comfortable, and the in-room service was super quick

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
ICatDoralMiami, Manager at InterContinental at Doral Miami, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Dear Alina_Austin,

Thank you for taking the time in sharing your thoughts about your most recent stay here at the InterContinental at Doral Miami.
It is great to have this honest feedback so we can better service you in the future.
These points you have highlighted is something that we will look into, and see if we can improve for our guests.
On a lighter note, it’s great that you were able to rest in our comfortable beds.

We look forward to seeing you again here soon.

InterContinental at Doral Miami

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Polish first
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

The staff at this upscale hotel were professional, helpful and courteous with the exception of the servers at our conference meals who seemed over zealous, often removing plates while diners were still using their forks! I cannot say if this was due to instructions given by conference planning staff, but it was very disturbing, especially in the company of guests known to have chewing and swallowing problems and often needing extra time to eat a meal. It was also a huge distraction as several meals included speakers or round table discussions.
On a more personal note, my bed was apparently made up incorrectly so that under the sheet there was a full waterproof pad that crinkled, was lumpy, and, because it did not breathe, made me feel as if I was wearing rubberized pajamas! I discovered this on my own after the first restless night and removed it. When I tried to discuss this with the front desk staff, they did not seem to "get it" so neither explained nor apologized until I mentioned that I intended to review their hotel. Then I got weak "sorry about that".

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Marilyn B,

Thank you for sharing your feedback.
It is a pleasure to hear you refer to our staff as professionals, courteous and helpful.
I would like to apologies for your unpleasant experience with our beds making your nights restless. Truly sorry we did not meet your expectation here.
We have made this issue aware in our housekeeping department to avoid this happening again.
We hope to welcome you back in the future to regain your trust and confidence.

Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

We had a one night stay prior to a cruise. We had stayed there before and certainly will again. The room was very clean, large, very comfortable bed and a well equipped efficient bathroom. The room was also very quiet. We had just had a nine hour flight from London plus a couple of hours at Miami Airport in line at Immigration so what we needed was a perfect night sleep and that is what we got. It was nice to then relax in the garden prior to our departure to Port Everglades.
The Front Desk staff were very efficient and friendly. Thank you.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
ICatDoralMiami, Manager at InterContinental at Doral Miami, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear John H,

It is great to know you are a repetitive guest with us and that we are your lodging preference when visiting Miami. It is always great to welcome prior guests back to our wonderful property.
We have the Best Rest philosophy and are truly pleased to see that you were able to experience it, we take pride in all the wonderful comments we receive regarding our sleeping accommodations.
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding our staff, we will share with our front desk colleagues how pleasant your experience was due to their level of service and friendliness.

We are looking forward for your next stay with us.

Glasgow, Scotland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

Maybe I was spoilt as I had just come from the InterCon in downtown Miami. That is one fantastic hotel and I'll be reviewing that shortly. It is everything that the InterCon brand stands for - fanastic service and great rooms. Added to that they deliver what they promise to their Ambassador members.

Comparing that to this property and it falls oh so far short. At the front desk I was told my Royal Ambassador membership had expired. It hadn't. That didn't seem to make any difference to the rather off hand person at check in "if I wanted to complain" were the exact words out of his mouth. Not off to a great start.

No room upgrade and no other associated benefits that you get from the (paid for) Ambassador program. But hey, only there for one night I thought.

Room is perfectly adequate and if it was a Holiday Inn you wouldn't think twice. But it says InterContinental above the door and you expect a much higher standard than this. So, room was clean, bed was comfortable, but don't expect all the touches you might get from the great IC's in places like NYC or Singapore.

On check out I was told the bill was all ok and no additional charges. You know what's coming now I bet. An additional charge that is showing up on my credit card now. So, that will all take time to sort out.

And now, for the final bit that you can't make up. The ride to the airport.

Well, all of us were luckly to have made it alive to the terminal. The driver feel asleep at the wheel. Fortunately whilst we were stopped at the lights. I thought he was ill at first and then he woke up. The rest of the journey was him weaving across the median line.

All in all, percectly adequate, but don't mistake it for being of a normal IC (high) standard. Plenty of better places to stay if you are wanting to spend a night or two at Miami airport. Or even better, stay at the fantastic IC downtown if that's convenient for you.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Dear Frequent Traveller from Scotland,
Thank you for your feedback and we apologize that we did not meet your expectations.
We appreciate your comments.
As per the email we previously sent to you, we have taken care of the credit card situation.
One more time we would like to thank you for your comments. And we will ensure you that they will be taken into considerations.

Milton Keynes
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

We stayed at this hotel beginning of April just for one night before embarking a cruise and was very impressed with the overall standard. The hotel is large and not very imposing from the exterior. However, the rooms were excellent, large and well equipped with top quality linen and the bathroom was large and with again fine towels and toiletries.

We found all the staff to be courteous and very friendly. We ate in the restaurant which had a Mexican feel and the menu was interesting. The food was top quality and the waiters very attentive.

The hotel has a small outdoor pool to the rear which is very attractive with very comfortable loungers. All in all excellent.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
ICatDoralMiami, Manager at InterContinental at Doral Miami, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Dear LindylouMiltonKeynes,

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your schedule to write a review of our hotel.
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our amenities were to your likings.
We are always happy to assist our guest and make them feel like home.
Next time you visit Miami, we hope that we can be your preferred choice of lodging.

Southern California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

Came here after Embassy Suites had no water. It was clean, modern and convenient.
Definitely recommend.
Downside is shuttle service stops at 10:20PM. Not convenient.
Ready shuttle reuse back to airport. Taxi is about $30.

• Stayed April 2013
ICatDoralMiami, Manager at InterContinental at Doral Miami, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear CAevents,

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our accommodations were to your likings. We hope to be your choice of lodging again, next time you visit Miami.

Dyersburg, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

In town for a nearby conference. The room price was decent with the group rate. Rooms were nice. They provide an I've bucket but you have to call for I've and it could take a while. The one service issue we ran into was with the older man at the lobby desk. My wife asked if the mall shuttle bus, which we'd ridden before, had come and he said it should be there shortly. She asked partly to clue them in that she was waiting for it. So my wife sat outside watching for it and fifteen minutes later it hadn't come. She went back inside and asked again about the shuttle this time being told it has already come. My wife knew it hadn't having had been watching for it. The guy then was nearly yelling at her despite her asking him to keep his voice down. When my wife got more upset and raised her voice back he finally backed off. Mean while the whole lobby was watching. Not a very friendly customer service encounter. I will say that he was the only one we had trouble with and the rest of the concierge was very helpful. We are dessert in the hotel restaurant one night which was nice. M&Ms were ordered as an ice cream topping. There was only 4 M&Ms. All that said, I would stay here again if needing to be in Doral. If you want to visit downtown it the beach area you may want to stay closer as a taxi ride is about $45 one way. The complimentary hotel shuttle to the airport is nice. Just beware it is a smaller shuttle so if the hotel is full get down to it early to make sure you get a seat. I ended up sitting on the shuttle steps just inside the door.

• Stayed April 2013
ICatDoralMiami, Manager at InterContinental at Doral Miami, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear Randymagoo,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback about your recent stay with us.
We are sorry to hear that you encountered some inconveniences during your last stay.
Rest assure that all have been addressed with the appropriate departments to ensure they do not repeat in the future. Guest satisfaction and service are our main concern.

We are looking forward to your next visit.

InterContinental at Doral Miami

Been to InterContinental at Doral Miami? Share your experiences!