“Wonderful place, great staff, good food.” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Signature Golf Package
Ranked #5 of 6 hotels in Doral
Guelph, Canada
“Wonderful place, great staff, good food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2011

I too was concerned after reading a few reviews and was pleasantly surprised to discover some people are picky! It's a beautiful, family-friendly resort. It's not new but it's well-staffed and well-maintained, and I probably would have loved it all the more if I golfed! I never walked through the lobby without a friendly greeting from the staff. The food was great in the restaurants, and while sitting on the outside patio eating late one night, the manager of the restaurant came by to check that everything was fine. We had a regular garden view room with what looked to be an older green chair. On second review I noted that it was recently recovered. It looked "old" more due to the colour choice which was subdued. The curtains and the carpet were new. The grounds were impecably clean. The only things in our visit that weren't perfect was the service at the bar by the pool was a bit slow, the A/C in the hallway was set too high, and the high speed internet was not free. The lagoon was murky so they might want to consider a fountain to get the water moving. We're planning to take the grandkids back with us next time.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
MIADL, Manager at Trump National Doral Miami, responded to this review, March 18, 2011
Thank you very much for staying with us and for taking the time to post your review. We are very happy to hear that you had a great experience and enjoyed our friendly staff. We appreciate your constructive feedback regarding the pool bar service and the A/C temperature in the hallways. Your comments will be shared and addressed with our teams.

Thank you again for your comments. We look forward to when you return with your grandkids!

975 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2011

I read several of the Doral Marriot reviews that actually had me concerned before my arrival. After we arrived and had the opportunity to experience the resort, I realized that some people are better off staying at home. There are four aspects to my stay that I can comment on: Staff, Accommodations, Food, and Golf.

My friend and I arrived for a 3 night stay to celebrate my 50th. Immediately upon exiting the cab, we were greeted by Sergio; I‘d hate to call him a bellman because he was much more than that. Our room was not ready because we arrived early. We also had a tee time that was within the hour of our arrival. Sergio took us to a room so we could change, gather our equipment, and load up for a short ride to the Jim McLean course. He stored our bag and off we went to the course escorted by Nathan. Sergio made us feel as welcome as family. Throughout our stay, there was never a case where the staff did not greet us with a kind word. By the end of the second day, many remembered our names or referred to us as the “Texas Boys”. This was the case no matter where we went and it was not like we were the only two there. In fact, the hotel was booked solid that week (2/17 -20) for a tournament. Despite the crowd, Nathan and Sergio remembered us and always asked if there was anything they could do to make our stay better.

Accommodations were fine. I read several reviews about how outdated the rooms were. The hotel is no spring chicken. However, it is not anywhere near what I was expecting according to the reviews. The room was clean the bathroom was clean the mini bar was stocked and everything worked. No broken knobs, stained carpet, etc. This is a big resort that is spread out so walking is going to be part of the stay.

Aside from going to the Jim McLean course, we never left the resort. The breakfast buffet was great. Fresh fruit, pastries, omelets made to order and, once again, wait staff that treated you like family. The only complaint I had has to do with the general public. Watching people treat wait staff like second class citizens torques me to no end. The adage that “the customer is always right” was conceived by….you guessed it….a customer; and probably an arrogant one at that. I am a golfer and I love the game. But some people take things a bit too far. Just like the difference between people who drink and enjoy wine and those that want people to think drinking wine is for royalty and aristocrats. If you are late for YOUR Tee time, don’t make it everyone else’s problem, especially people that are trying to serve and wait on other customers. SIDEBAR – I witnessed some arrogant jerk demand that his omelet be made first because he was late for a tee time. Then he turned around and knocked dishes off of a buss boy’s tray. He didn’t apologize or offer to help this poor guy.

Food at the Tapas bar (Bossa Nova) was pretty good. Being able to order a few tapas and add on if you are still hungry is much better then ordering a huge meal and end up leaving part of it.

Although we did not sit in Mesazul, we did order food from there and had it served to us in Bosssa Nova which they had no problem with. Food was good and priced in line with other resorts.

If you are a golfer and have never played Doral, do yourself a favor and go. If you have to save money for a year to make the trip start now. This applies to golfers of every level of playing ability. Believe me when I say “every level of playing ability”. I am not a good golfer, yet every person working the golf course treated me as if I were a new up-and-coming tour champ. The staff took care of our equipment, had our cart and clubs ready for each tee time, greeted us with open arms, and remembered us each time we showed up. I was treated to the Blue Monster by my friend Joe for my 50th. Michael was or caddy and kept up with us every step of the way….literally. A high handicap golfer can add several hundred yards to a round of golf and Michael never flinched. The course was being prepped for the Cadillac Championship coming in a few weeks so it was in great shape. Michael was outstanding not only as a caddy but as someone to chew the fat with between shots.

We hated to leave but you know how vacations are. This is a great place and I will return.

A word about hotels in general. When people book a stay at a hotel, there are certain amenities that are expected. For example, I would expect a telephone for contacting the front desk, a working toilet and toilet paper, hand and bath soap, towels, sheets on the bed, and a television with at least local channels. Something else that needs to be added to the list is internet access. NOT internet availability, but access…..FREE access! I realize that, like the airlines with al a cart snacks and fees for baggage, internet access is a great way for hotels to generate revenue especially if it’s on a company expense account. For the love of all things modern, add $5.00 to each room to cover the cost and be done with it. This is like ordering a cup of coffee and being charged rent for the cup. Don’t make the public feel like we are being nickeled and dimed to death by things that have become the norm. And by the way, the added charge for internet access is right up there with charging me to self-park in a parking lot (not garage). This is a new concept that many resorts are picking up on. I realize that people do not want to pay for something they don’t use but I can’t remember ever being charged to park at a shopping mall. This is the same thing in my view.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
MIADL, Manager at Trump National Doral Miami, responded to this review, March 4, 2011
We very much appreciate you taking the time to write such a wonderful review. Thank you for choosing to celebrate your birthday vacation with us! We can't wait to have you back.
Castle Rock, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2011

We stayed here from February 9th through 13th and had a great experience. From check-in to check-out the service was great. Heather did a great job checking us in and the bell boy had our luggage & golf bags to the the room immediately. The rooms have been redone and the new Bossa Nova lounge/raw bar and Mezasul restaurant were great. We enjoyed the restaurant so much we dined there twice. Raoul took great care of us in the lounge and Jay, the golf concierge, made sure we were all set each day for golf.

The courses we played (White & Blue) we in excellent condition and challenging (we lost our share of golf balls). We will definitely be back!!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
MIADL, Manager at Trump National Doral Miami, responded to this review, February 20, 2011
Thank you for your wonderful comments. We are delighted to hear how our associates made your stay a memorable one. Thank you for staying with us. We look forward to welcoming you back!
Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2011

Stayed here for 4 days for a conference. Had a warm reception upon checking in and throughout our stay all the staff were very pleasent. The bellboys, although very friendly and willing to hold our bags while we checked in, didn't seem to eager to help us back to our lodge. The room they checked us into was room 722 in Lodge 7. AVOID this room at all costs. It is located right in front of the elevator and the flooring outside the area is tile/marble which echoes all around. All night long we heard the elevator going up and down and guests standing and chatting as they waited. We turned on the air conditioner to block the noise and it leaked streams of water from it onto the ground beneath. We tried to open the sliding glass door which stuck and would not lock afterwards. We called to front desk to have a repair man come by. When we had returned to the room, nothing was fixed. All that was removed was the towel we had on the floor to soak up the water. We requested a room change which was denied because of lack of rooms. 7:30am they started leaf blowing in front of the windows. That morning, after numerous complaints, we were placed in another room in Lodge 10 which was more spacious and did not appear to have any maintenance issues. It is however located right near the maintenance rooms so there is plenty of noise escalating from this side. Overall the rooms are seriously outdated with paint peeling and not overly clean. The sound proofing is horrible; although we no longer hear the elevator we can hear the vacuuming from the floor above and the house keeping staff don't seem to concerned with keeping their chit chat and noise down to a respectable level early in the day. If I had my choice in hotels and was visiting Miami as a tourist, I would never bother to stay here. Also, hotels in 2011 should never be charging for internet!!!!! Doral charges $12.95/day.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your recent stay to the Doral Golf Resort & Spa. Please accept our apologies for the several inconveniences you experienced with your guestroom. We are currently in the process of making necessary sound proofing updates to our guestrooms. We hope that you will allow us the opportunity to serve you again. Please feel free to contact me directly at 305-591-6631 so I can ensure your stay is a much more relaxing and enjoyable one.
Orlando, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2011

This may have been a great place back in the 60's, but it is in serious need of a calendar. It's 2011 and the rooms are in desperate need of upgrading to the needs of the modern era traveler. No lamp on work table, had to crawl under the table to plug in the laptop and chargers, light switch to the bathroom was in middle of the bathroom, not at the doorway, hold and cold water was reversed in the shower, knobs on bathroom sink were set incorrectly, noise of elevator reverberated throughout the room, tile floor in front of the elevator amplified conversations and could easily be heard from inside my room. The hotel has nice views of the parking lot and fake balconies. Most mid range hotels beat this place with one arm behind their back!
On the good side the staff is excellent. They are wonderful and most pleasant, but can't fix the "ugly" reality. At $200/night they should be arrested for false advertising.

Hoboken, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2011

This place is like a factory! I've been to large resorts but this one has an eerie feeling about it. Its huge and not really well laid out. I felt as if I was constantly getting in the way of the staff doing their tasks. I stayed for a conference. Of course, for conference attendees, you don't get the best rooms but I would have expected a bit more from Marriott, especially being an Elite Member. Instead, I got a basement room a the end of the hall of the last lodge in the place. The guest elevator was located right next to the hotel laundry room and was shared with them.

Room was seriously outdated and run down. The flat screen TV did not make up for the complete lack of any other recognition of the 21st century in amenities or accommodations. Although there isn't a beach nearby, I felt as if this was a beach resort since my room felt perpetually humid and a bit musty. I assume that was due to sharing the floor with the laundry room.

The common areas, hallways and elevators are extremely worn down to create an almost oppressive atmosphere.

The conference facility was located directly opposite my lodge, at the furthest point you can get. The facility was a bit remotely located and it took a great deal of skill to doge the golf carts flying by as I tried to make my way to the conference area.

The only bright side, the staff is extremely friendly. Front desk was always friendly and efficient. Bellmen were very on top of things - bags, cabs, etc. Room service waiters were friendly, but clearly frazzled. It took two tries to get our order right. I also noticed food trays that were to be delivered but stacked on a food cart and left in a hallway - kind of like the ones you see in a hospital at mealtime. From some reason, that just creeped me out. I wanted to feel like I was in a resort, not a hospital.

Even if I had to attend another conference at this property, I would probably look to stay nearby instead. This place is just a huge disappointment and not what I have come to expect from Marriott. And even at discounted conference rates, it was not worth it.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We are very concerned to hear about your disappointing stay. Please accept our sincere apology for your dissatisfaction with your guestroom. Please know that your comments are extremely valuable to us and have been shared with our management team for improvements.

We hope that you will give us the opportunity to regain your faith in our resort. If your travel needs bring you back to the Miami area, please feel free to contact me directly at 305-591-6631 so I can allocate a guestroom that will be much more desirable to your needs. Thank you again for your comments and loyalty to Marriott.
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2011

I had the pleasure of spending two nights at the Doral for a conference I was speaking at. Overall, the resort feels a little tired and for some reason our "lodge" smelled like a hospital or funeral home. Not the best connotation when arriving at a hotel for the night.

The rooms seem outdated, although the amenities are updated. (There was also a bug in our bathroom when we checked in.)

The food at the resort is nothing special (and a little overpriced.) It's a great place for a conference - everyone's in the same place but has enough space to feel like they can get away.

We ordered Room Service and the food was pretty good - the service was wonderful. The attendant was very helpful.

I'm also annoyed that Internet access costs $12.00 dollars on top of the room. Raise the rate $5.00 for everyone and include internet access... seriously.

Would I stay here again? Nope.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

Been to Trump National Doral Miami? Share your experiences!