“Huge Disappointment” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 21 Hotels in Doral
Hoboken, New Jersey
“Huge Disappointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2011

This place is like a factory! I've been to large resorts but this one has an eerie feeling about it. Its huge and not really well laid out. I felt as if I was constantly getting in the way of the staff doing their tasks. I stayed for a conference. Of course, for conference attendees, you don't get the best rooms but I would have expected a bit more from Marriott, especially being an Elite Member. Instead, I got a basement room a the end of the hall of the last lodge in the place. The guest elevator was located right next to the hotel laundry room and was shared with them.

Room was seriously outdated and run down. The flat screen TV did not make up for the complete lack of any other recognition of the 21st century in amenities or accommodations. Although there isn't a beach nearby, I felt as if this was a beach resort since my room felt perpetually humid and a bit musty. I assume that was due to sharing the floor with the laundry room.

The common areas, hallways and elevators are extremely worn down to create an almost oppressive atmosphere.

The conference facility was located directly opposite my lodge, at the furthest point you can get. The facility was a bit remotely located and it took a great deal of skill to doge the golf carts flying by as I tried to make my way to the conference area.

The only bright side, the staff is extremely friendly. Front desk was always friendly and efficient. Bellmen were very on top of things - bags, cabs, etc. Room service waiters were friendly, but clearly frazzled. It took two tries to get our order right. I also noticed food trays that were to be delivered but stacked on a food cart and left in a hallway - kind of like the ones you see in a hospital at mealtime. From some reason, that just creeped me out. I wanted to feel like I was in a resort, not a hospital.

Even if I had to attend another conference at this property, I would probably look to stay nearby instead. This place is just a huge disappointment and not what I have come to expect from Marriott. And even at discounted conference rates, it was not worth it.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
MIADL, Manager at Trump National Doral Miami, responded to this review, February 20, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We are very concerned to hear about your disappointing stay. Please accept our sincere apology for your dissatisfaction with your guestroom. Please know that your comments are extremely valuable to us and have been shared with our management team for improvements.

We hope that you will give us the opportunity to regain your faith in our resort. If your travel needs bring you back to the Miami area, please feel free to contact me directly at 305-591-6631 so I can allocate a guestroom that will be much more desirable to your needs. Thank you again for your comments and loyalty to Marriott.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2011

I had the pleasure of spending two nights at the Doral for a conference I was speaking at. Overall, the resort feels a little tired and for some reason our "lodge" smelled like a hospital or funeral home. Not the best connotation when arriving at a hotel for the night.

The rooms seem outdated, although the amenities are updated. (There was also a bug in our bathroom when we checked in.)

The food at the resort is nothing special (and a little overpriced.) It's a great place for a conference - everyone's in the same place but has enough space to feel like they can get away.

We ordered Room Service and the food was pretty good - the service was wonderful. The attendant was very helpful.

I'm also annoyed that Internet access costs $12.00 dollars on top of the room. Raise the rate $5.00 for everyone and include internet access... seriously.

Would I stay here again? Nope.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Vienna, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2011

We did not golf or go to the spa.

What we did was hang out at the pools. The Winter temperatures in FL vary greatly. We chose Doral because of the heated pools. I don't think the resort staff and marketing department realize how great their pools are for families.

The Blue Lagoon pool with its zero entry was perfect for our 3 year old. It was not heated and had a waterfall. The second pool was heated to a very comfortable bath like temperature and was quieter. The Blue Monster slide and pool was heated to just below hot tub temperatures and was a favorite of our 7 year old. The hot tub also had a waterfall and was almost too hot.

While everyone we met were golfers, very few went to the pool. There were only a few families at the resort. Mostly dudes golfing. The pools were not crowded.

The only negative for families would be the restaurant options for dinner. Though after a long day at the pools, room service did just fine.

The usual: Resort fee, parking fee and no free wifi should be factored in when making your choice.

We will be back.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
We are thrilled to hear how much your family enjoyed our pools! Our pools are certainly a wonderful and relaxing amenity. Thank you for your review. We hope you will visit us again soon.
Jersey, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2011

Stayed here for a two-day conference.

Check-in was reasonably efficient (short wait). Common areas of hotel are quite nice - large lobby, ballrooms etc all very well-kept. Lots of clothing shops which I guess is typical of a golf resort, hard to buy much else though (e.g. I forgot my UK power adaptor, and neither the shop nor the concierge could help).

The resort is organized as a cluster of 'lodges' around the main building. We were in lodge 10, which was a few minutes walk from the reception area. The grounds are quite pretty, with a pool area in the middle, but the walk from the reception to the lodges is spoiled by the fact that you have to go past the main services loading area, so on more than one occasion I felt like I was dodging trucks & loading cages. Really a good hotel should have all that stuff well-hidden, not on display.

My room smelled a bit funny so I mentioned it to the concierge but nothing was done about it. I think they must have had a leak because it smelled like it had been damp or something, which wasn't really the first impression I would have expected from a quality chain. Also, the plaster on the walls was badly chipped in quite a few places (room 1029) which again isn't consistent with a quality brand. Otherwise the room was a good size, with comfortable bed and little verandah looking out into jungle.

We were eating buffet food provided by the conference mainly and it was universally of a very high standard. The one meal we had in one of the restaurants was also very nice.

I know I harp on about this but I really do think it's time that hotels like this offered free internet both in the rooms and in the common areas. I'm going to stop staying at hotels that charge soon and I think other travellers should do the same.

Checkout was a bit chaotic because the entire hotel was effectively leaving at the same time - you would think that the hotel would have anticipated this and maybe organized some taxis to be on hand, but in reality we had to wait quite a while to get transportation to the airport.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2011

First of all, let me be accurate, golf at Doral is great, resort could also be great with the right management.

Now, to the point. My wife and I decided to spend xmas vacations in Florida. In octobre, we booked a room with golf-view. We cheched in and arrived to a room horrible, with direct view.... On the next building...
Checked with the réservation, after 1hr, finally the manager on duty said there where no room of this kind left... And the manager would call me, which noone did. At Check-out, i asked for rates to be at least realign with the standard of the room, and guess... I have been said I should have asked to change of room... Management and staff in this Mariott are probably the best advertising for Starwood !

• Stayed December 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2011

Must spend a day or two here if you're a golfer and you're in the Miami area. Service was great, but comes at a price. Keep plenty of cash for tips. Not all golf course facing rooms are the same. If views matter to you, ask for a couple of different rooms and check them out before you settle into one. Extremely comfortable bed. But Marriott really needs to stock adult pillows!

After a nice round on any of the excellent golf courses, chill at the Bossanova lounge with a Caipirinha and some tapas. Hopefully the music won't be too loud.

• Stayed December 2010
Thank you for commenting on your recent stay! Our new Bossa Nova lounge is the perfect place to enjoy cocktails and tapas after golfing on any of our five Championship Golf Courses! We hope you will return for another golf trip soon!
Springboro, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2010

Some of the lodges have been updated, some have not. It seems like Marriott's strategy may be to select certain guests who may not mind the 2nd rate accommodations and then move them to a different lodge or better accommodations after they register a complaint.

The improved accommodations in lodge 3 were larger in terms of living space and bath and shower facilities but still only get the resort to a passing grade. The original accommodations we were provided in lodge 7 were terrible. Outdated interior design with small rooms, and an elevator loud enough to disturb the entire lodge.

We enquired about playing tennis on the resort courts and found that fees were $20 per person per hour. My wife and I decided that $80 for an hour of tennis with our daughters was a bit exorbitant if not bordering on criminal. We got in the car and drove a couple of miles to a park to play.

Beds in both rooms were small and extremely uncomfortable. Walls must be paper thin as our neighbors seemed as if they were in our room with us during much of the stay. Service was slow in most areas of the resort.

Blue lagoon pool area and slide were very nice. Families with young kids will love it.

The resort has potential, and I expect they'll get it right eventually.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family

Been to Trump National Doral Miami? Share your experiences!