“5 STAR hotel with bedbugs!” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Advanced Purchase 20% Off
Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Doral
“5 STAR hotel with bedbugs!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2010 via mobile

We had to stay there for 8 nights getting bitten alive with bed bugs, we asked housekeeping to change the sheets but when we came back their was the same BBQ sauce stain there in the same place so obously they didn't make an attempt to change them. 2 days later after we asked housekepping to change the sheets we asked to be moved because the problem was only getting worse they claimed they didn't have any other rooms at all and then we asked them for a discounted rate and they had a new room suddenly appear.

MIADL, Manager at Trump National Doral Miami, responded to this review, August 18, 2010
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at our Resort. In the very rare instance where a guest expresses a concern of this nature, we quickly engage Ecolab to immediately evaluate the situation. Rest assured our management team has taken your comments very seriously and we would like to be able to speak with you in person regarding this matter. Please call me directly at 305-591-6631.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2010

I was at the Doral Golf Resort & Spa for a corporate event. I was booked into a nice little, outdated, two-bedroom suite in the fancy Spa building. Upon entering the suite, one would think that this is going to be a fabulous room (the entry was incredibly ornate) but then after crossing the long corridor, it’s just an outdated room that doesn’t match the grand entrance. The TV was dusty, the bed wasn’t comfy, and the bathroom was falling apart one tile at a time. I heard from my colleagues that there rooms were worse… with cockroaches (yeek!).

On the first night, I got back to my room at around 11 pm to find my room door had been left open. I immediately called Security whom had to go through both of my bedrooms to ensure that there was no one hiding in the room and that nothing was taken. The next night, I returned and found my toiletries were missing. The next night, I was missing a dress. I called the hotel about the dress and their Lost & Found never found it.

The Starbuck’s on property does not make coffee that way that a real Starbuck’s would so don’t order anything fancy. And don’t bother waiting for someone to bring you a drink at the pool… no one will come by. On the upside, the band in the hotel bar was great fun and the pomegranate Caipirinhas were delish. The oyster bar wasn’t too bad either.

I absolutely do not recommend the Doral. It’s a shame too as I usually prefer Marriott hotels but this one doesn’t live up to the standard. But if you do decide to stay here, don’t forget your ear plugs.. the hotel is very close to the airport and if you’re a light sleeper, the planes will keep you up.

Happy and safe travels.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
MIADL, Manager at Trump National Doral Miami, responded to this review, July 30, 2010
Thank you for posting this review and sharing your feedback from your recent stay. I am very concerned to hear about the less than satisfactory experience at our resort, and deeply regret to hear about the items lost during your stay. We have taken your comments very seriously and have addressed them with the appropriate managers to ensure corrective actions are in place. I would like to have the opportunity to speak with you directly in order to come to a resolution for the several inconveniences you experienced. Your business is very valuable to us and we would like to be able to restore your faith in Doral. Please feel free to contact me at 305-591-6631. Thank you again for your feedback.
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2010

My friend and I went to this resort for an overnight golf outing, figuring we'd have some great golf and a "just okay" stay. We were happily surprised!

Yes, the famous 1960's retro architecture remains...but a $16-million makeover transformed this 650 acre golf resort and spa into a modern day jewel of a resort.

Just off the lobby is the brand new Mesazul restaurant, a classic steakhouse with Latin flair. My friend had the steak and loved it but when I saw "Lobster Pot Pie" on the menu, I had to have one. Excellent, as was the service.

Next door to the restaurant is a brand new latin inspired BossaNova Lounge. We thought it rivaled any at South Beach. Their extensive Rum Menu is a must-sample. Tasty tapas, too.

The golf was equally great. We played the iconic Blue Monster-now the TPC Blue Monster-, and the Great White. Both were in excellent shape and the greens ran true. The practice facilities are quality--no hitting off mats! While we didn't play it, we were told by other guests that the newly redone McLean Course (formerly The Silver Course) was worth taking a trip back to play. There are two more courses as well: The Red-known for its two island greens and fair test of your game and The Gold, recently redesigned by Raymond Floyd.

After golf we went to the Champions Bar for Doral Burgers (huge!, juicy! dee-lish!) and frosty drafts. The resort's history is apparent here, with pictures of unforgettable moments from Doral's past World Championships-CA tourneys, including Henrik Stenson's infamous 2009 "underwear" shot. I didn't realize it happened at Doral!

While we were seated at Champions, a group came in from the 9th hole to order food. Since everything is freshly prepared, they were told it would take about 15 minutes. They looked chagrined. The server quickly told them to go on ahead and he'd personally bring their food to them, no problem. The golfers headed off to the 10th tee all smiles.

The new Pritikin Longevity Center Spa offers 100+ services, beautiful suites and a gorgeous garden and pool area. I didn't have any services but I took a look around. it's about as pretty a spa as any I've seen.

The staff was warm and accommodating our entire stay. Whether golf, restaurant, front desk, concierge, bell men...they couldn't do enough. After a late night at Bossa Nova, for example, our mid-morning tee time was moved to the afternoon without any problem. Room service was on time and the food was fresh, warm and portions generous.

One thing: If you want Miami nightlife, it is a bit of a drive...about 20 minutes. Cabs can cost some, so if you're staying more than a few days, you may want a rental car.

We used to drive to Orlando for golf getaways. We're thrilled to have a slice of world-class golf heaven and spa resort right in our SoFla backyard!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
MIADL, Manager at Trump National Doral Miami, responded to this review, July 29, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful experience from your recent stay at the Doral Golf Resort & Spa. We are thrilled to hear your golf getaway was such a memorable one. We sincerely appreciate the kind comments and will look forward to your return.
Curacao
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2010

In one week we stayed @ the Doral on 3 different occasions. The front desk clerks were very friendly, quick check-ins/check-outs, but the valet guys were outstanding. Very polite and extremely customer-focused.
The rooms were all clean and spacious, we had no problem getting connected to the wireless internet and slept really well.
The landscaping, swimming pool, lobby and restaurants are beautiful and really give you the feeling that you're on holiday.
Contrary to the other complaints, we had a great stay at the Doral Golf resort. Okay, the location is a bit far from where the real Miami action is, but we chose this on purpose, as we had to hit the highway early to go to Key West and Tampa. Also great to just visit neighbourhood restaurants and shops.
You will definitely need a rental car to get around and the only negative point I can think of is that self parking is SO very far from your room (especially when you come back with lots of shopping).
Last, but not least -- the security gentleman at the gate even memorized our name and would greet us personally every time we got back. Where else would you find this?

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
San Antonio, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2010

When checking in, I found that In order to have the internet in what would be considered a "luxury" resort, you pay $14.00 per day--totally overpriced. I can't remember when I've paid to have the internet, especially wireless even in the cheapest of motels. When I ordered the internet at $14 per day, the motel/help desk could not get it to work. It took 2.5 hours for the internet to be up and working and only worked when I called the provider myself.

Upon entering my room, I found, the carpet had not been cleaned and there was food on the floor. During my stay, the same food remained on the floor and went unswept, the power went out several times in the group of rooms that I was in--not the entire resort. The door to the outside was left open (twice) after someone had cleaned our room for anyone to enter our room and on a couple occasions, dirty glasses and toiletries were not replaced.

I was with a convention and the food was poor. The presentation was wonderful but the taste--terrible with a lot of grease.

The valet were numerous and very helpful. Their service was wonderful and they were always polite. They were the outstanding gem in a spa of problems.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Carmel, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2010

I talked my wife into staying at Doral for two nights prior to our cruise departing from Miami. The rooms are spacious and very comfortable. I slept well which does not typically happen during travel. We chose the basic garden view room and the accommodations met our expectation. We stayed in lodge 5 and it was very quiet and clean. We did not experience any of the cleanliness issues mentioned in other reviews.

The dining experience and food quality is very good. Although, be prepared to pay a premium for food on the resort. We visited all the restaurants on the property, except Bossa Nova. I recommend the Terrazza Cafe and Champions Sport Bar and Grill. Terrazza provided a great breakfast and the Champions Grill provides great All-American fare in a upscale sports bar setting. Great place to grab lunch, dinner, or drinks after your round.

Only drawback is the location. Doral is not close to most of the other Miami attractions such as South Beach, etc. If you stay more than a few days, a rental car would be a good investment. Taxi rides are expensive, we spent $40 round trip to Dolphin Mall, and about $40 to the airport and another $40 more to the port of call. So renting a vehicle will pay off if you intend on leaving the resort often. Car rental can be arranged at the resort. So you can decide after you arrive.

I highly recommend the golf and spa services, both are very enjoyable. The spa is world class. As other reviews have mentioned, take advantage of the spa facilities by arriving at least 45 minutes prior to your appointment. The locker rooms include steam room, sauna, hot tubs, lounge chairs, etc. My appointment was in the afternoon and I had the whole locker room to myself Very nice place to relax in your robe before and/or after your spa services. The spa was so good, the wife wants to return!

I played the Blue Monster during our short stay. The course was recently aerated so the course condition was not ideal. However, the staff made me aware of this well in advance of our stay so it was no surprise upon arrival. The course layout and caddie made the experience enjoyable. Next time I visit will be during peak time so I can take advantage of all the golf Doral has to offer during the best playing conditions.

I had the privilege of meeting a few individuals from the management team during our stay. Very warm and genuine folks that truly care about the resort and their guests. The level of service we received from top to bottom definitely exceeded our expectation. One example involved Lizzy from the golf shop. She personally packed up my golf travel bag (incl. clubs, shoes, etc) and personally hand delivered to the shipping department. This completely eliminated any anxiety I had about mishandling of my belongings as we departed for our cruise. The service and follow up I received from Lizzy and Megan regarding the shipment of my clubs exceeded expectations. This is only one example of many during our short stay. I highly recommend Doral Resort and Spa to anyone, especially if you are interested in golf and spa services. Very nice place to relax at one of the pools, get pampered in the spa, or test your game on the links. Our stay was way too short, I can't wait to go back!!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Lincoln, NE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2010

I stayed here in late June and attended a conference held on the grounds. The room was clean and deserved a typical 3 star rating. I was disappointed that the patio area had not been cleaned since the last occupants. I would recommend that they clean up the cigarette butts and remove the dirty glasses and plastic bottles. The first day I had a bar of bath soap but should have kept it because another one never appeared. The walls seem to be pretty thin when parties are held in the room next to you. The grounds people seemed very nice and knowledgeable about the area. It would be helpful if more of the staff spoke English so communication would be easier.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business

Been to Trump National Doral Miami? Share your experiences!