“A nice place to stay but really an antiquated golf resort feel.” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Linger Longer
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Doral
New Jersey
“A nice place to stay but really an antiquated golf resort feel.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

I recently stayed at the trump national for one night on business. I enjoyed the spa but was very disappointed by the level of service. I was particularly disappointed by the host staff at BLT. The young lady that seated me was very dismissive . I was lucky enough to stay in a renovated suite and experienced the same issue as another reviewer with a very inadequate A/C unit. I would only recommend this resort for a golfer on a short stay.

Room Tip: Be sure to request a renovated room as the hotel is under a massive overhaul.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
David F, Manager at Trump National Doral Miami, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Dear BizFamJetSetter,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us in May. I apologize for the deficiencies in service, specially in BLT Prime. Your feedback has been sent to BLT Prime Management and were addressed.

Thank you again for sharing your comments with us and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Vice President and Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
Miami, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

I was staying here for the Prtikin program. It was 2 days and after 3 requests that I finally got my room cleaned. I don't get the impression that they care much about the Pritikin guests. The grounds are beautiful - part of course was being stripped but general grounds nice. amenities are poor, service mediocre. Not sure how this gets such a high raiting. Glass of champagne is more expensive than going to Brickel or Miami Beach, or even Grove Isle. WOW - where do they think they are? They are way out in Doral, and unless you're a golfer or coming to Pritikin I would never stay here. Had a good experience at the spa but it is pricier than some of the finest spas I've been to in Europe. The bed was extremely hard and lumpy. they realize they are not dealing with frat boys right?

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Dear Catp20,

Thank you for your comments concerning your recent stay at Trump National Doral. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you experienced pertaining to us servicing your room. Your remarks have been passed to Housekeeping Management.

Although this does not affect your past stay, I want you to know that starting next week all Pritikin guests will be housed in our newly renovated villas in which the product is a vast upgrade. This project has taken us two years and will be completed at the end of this year.

We thank you again for sharing your comments with us and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Key Biscayne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

The Hotel, the restaurants and the golf courses are a wonderful way to spend a week, a long weekend or a vacation. The new Blue Monster is awesome and very challenging. The food and service at the BLT restaurant is great.

• Stayed April 2014
David F, Manager at Trump National Doral Miami, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Dear JaimeG948,

Thank you for taking the time to write this lovely feedback about your recent stay at Trump National Doral Miami. I agree with you that the new Blue is "awesome and very challenging". Wait until you see what we do to the Red and Gold golf courses!

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future and to hopefully experience our other championship golf courses.

Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

I was at the hotel for 5 days and 4 nights with a friend to attend the Jim McClean golf school at the property. I had been to the hotel many years ago for a conference and thought it was a complete dump. So I was pleasantly surprised by the changes. I am probably giving it an extra star due to my low expectations of the property.

One thing to note - there is a 20% gratuity included on every bill you get everywhere. Spa, coffee shop, restaurants bar etc.

Rooms: My room was in the Bobby Jones building. The room was spacious, quiet (big deal to me), and comfortable. Bed was very comfortable. The balcony was tiny with two chairs jammed on it. The bathroom was nice, shower worked well and the shampoo was nice. Maid service was good.

Restaurants: We mostly ate at the pool restaurant. I probably had the fish tacos 6 times and they were good. The drinks - however - were so weak they needed crutches to get out of the glass. They were expensive and very very very lame. We went to BLT and had a better experience with the drinks there. AT the pool you will need to stick to beer or wine because there mixed drinks are pathetic. No booze in them.

Pool: The pool was very nice - big and nice comfortable pool chairs.

Spa: Horrible.You should absolutely on NOT go here for a spa vacation. We went the last day - wanted to hang out at spa pools, get a massage and have lunch. OK - this place is so run down it should be condemned. I swear the spa pool had algae in it and the whirlpool had peeling paint. I think you could get an infection by going in the pool. No pool service. They instructed us to go to the main pool for that. Well part of the reason we booked spa services was to go to an adult pool. My massage was horrible. The room was air conditioned and freezing and the massage lady said that she couldnt control the temp. I am not sure if that was true. I think she was going through the change and she wanted it cold. Her massage was bad - she basically rubbed lotion into my skin. I think she wanted me to upgrade to some more expensive massage which i did not do. Of course she was already guaranteed her 20% gratuity. The restaurant there is a Pritikin diet restaurant. No sugar, no salt, no condiments no flavor. There was a diet convention there when we were there. You could not purchase a soda before 12 noon. This was the lamest excuse for a spa I have ever witnessed. The rumor around the hotel is that when Pritikins contract ends Trump is going to turn it into a casino. There are spray painted construction markings all over so I think something is going on.

Golf School: The school was fabulous and I would recommend it. Bobby Cole was our instructor and he rocked. We played on the Signature Course one day. The course was decent but it is surrounded by very sad lame houses with plastic furniture, chain link fences, and laundry hanging out to dry. We played at the White Course which is short and very tricked up. It is going to be torn down next year and offices buildings and condos will be built. The famous course is the Blue Monster but I am not a good enough golfer to play on it and it is also something like $450 to play it. There was one other course - Red Course ? - but it was under construction so we didnt see it.

The Donald has planted lots of palm trees on the property (good) installed lots of very fake faux marble statues (bad), lots of gold and crystal (very vegas looking). The outdoor furniture is very nice - yellow and white and good quality.

Room Tip: I had a top floor (3rd floor) room in the Bobby Jones building and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Chichichicago,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us. I'm pleased that you were able to have the "quite" vacation you were looking for. Your comments about the pool drinks and the spa has been passed along to our management team and I sincerely apologize for your less than ideal experience at the spa.

Thank you again for sharing your comments and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Ivins, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

Four days of buddy golf at Doral , generally a very good time, recognizing much of the resort is being renovated including several courses. Went to the BLT restaurant to celebrate my hole in one , the only one currently open besides the pool bar. In the course of downing the $12 beers asked for some munchies, no dice except for chicken pate . Bought our own pretzels at the coffee shop downstairs, when we complained were told ,sir we are not a pub. Come on, your a golf resort, chicken pate? Otherwise had a very good time with excellent service( kudos to Martin at bag storage)

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Tedandtre,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay with us at Trump National Doral Miami. I'm delighted to hear that you had a good time at the resort and appreciate your feedback about BLT Prime. Your comments have been shared with our management team and we are reviewing our snack options at the bar.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Trump National Doral.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

I know there are many negative reviews about the property, primarily due to construction, which is unfortunate. The property has undergone a series of SERIOUS renovations which has truly transformed an iconic property into a beautiful, modern resort. We hosted one of our big conferences here this past April and the event went well. The hotel staff was great to work with, we were in the new conference space which had a really easy, intuitive flow, and our attendees enjoyed the property in general. There were a few hiccups that I think will be resolved once the hotel and it's staff settle into the final renovations. For example, one or two small meeting rooms we had booked were not fully renovated upon arrival which is something that wasn't exactly communicated to us- the hotel took steps to arrange the rooms to be more appealing and moved us into other rooms on the days they had availability. We also had some issues with AV that could have been easily avoided. These issues were addressed and we are booked again for next year so we are looking forward to an even smoother event in 2015. I think it's important (and I mentioned to management) for the hotel to realize that as a Trump property, they are held to a higher standard than other hotel brands and they need to make sure they are meeting or exceeding those standards to stand out. The golf is obviously a big draw for many people (and I've heard it does live up to it's iconic standards) and the new pool area is really great. Overall, I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear Sarah C.,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent conference and stay with us at Trump National Doral. Your feedback is helpful and valuable to us.

I'm delighted to hear that your meeting went well and that you will be back with us next year. I apologize for the few hiccups during your convention and know that next year, your conference will go smoother.

We look forward to working with you again and to welcome back the meeting next year.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

I could not wait to return home to New York to write this ad. I'm a native New Yorker and felt I was in the worst part of New York getting the worst service I could possibly find. Since this was a business trip, even though I showed my platinum American Express and asked for a room with a tub (herniated disc) I was told they were very busy but for a fee then could upgrade me. I asked about the Platinum which I assumed could be an upgrade but I was told quite condescendingly only if I paid with it. Then I spent $220 for the worst massage I've had in thirty years. The women at the counter asked me how my massage was. When I told her 'terrible" she said "good"!!! Obviously wasn't listening. To print out a boarding pass took 30 minutes...I asked the concierge at Pritikin if I could join a yoga class and instead of saying "No, I'm sorry just for guests" she again was condescending and made it clear ONLY FOR PRITIKIN. Please do not turn on the TV they play ad nauseam Trump and family promoting this place. I had to ask three times for the engineer to fix the sound of the movie i had to buy. Only lovely time was the restaurant BLT..lovely people and Gerardo was a lovely kind waiter who pointed out the lovely sunset...thanks Gerardo for showing me what's beautiful in the world

Room Tip: I was facing construction so I'm not sure. Again when I asked for a tub, it was "sure"...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear Kathleen R,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at Trump National Doral. I regret to hear that your experience at the resort was less than desirable. We do appreciate your feedback pertaining to the Front Office and Spa, as it allows us the opportunity to review with our management team as an effort to improve the guest experience. Thank you for your kind remarks about Gerardo from BLT Prime. He will be recognized for this.

Please accept my sincerest apologies and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Vice President & Managing Director

Been to Trump National Doral Miami? Share your experiences!