“Luxury that does not work” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Special Offer
Signature Golf Package
Ranked #5 of 6 hotels in Doral
“Luxury that does not work”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

Hotel is in general very expensive and charges full prices even in the situation that it is under construction. Half of the hotel is closed and renovated thus full of noise and dust. We spent one week in renovated part and very loud fire alarm turned on each day. We complained several times and nothing happen. Food is actually very good but expensive. It's better to eat outside the hotel, similar quality and half prices.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
David F, Manager at Trump National Doral Miami, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

We sincerely regret to hear that your experience with us in April was less than ideal. We do appreciate your feedback, and sincerely apologize for the inconveniences experienced due to our renovations.

Please accept our sincerest apologies, we hope you give us another opportunity and visit us again.

979 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

Go for the great hotel amenities, very helpful staff, but eat all meals off premises. I paid for the breakfast from the menu rather than the buffet because I wanted fresh cooked eggs. It took almost 45 minutes to get it after asking why it was taking so long, and was served immediately. The eggs were cold and certainly not worth the price ( which was quoted as $24 on the website, but was actually $28 on the menu. I was told that the menu was a "misprint"! This seemed odd for a five star resort. Lunch at the pool was not good quality. The sandwich was dry and not good. Dinner at BLT was better, but not what I would expect. Had a much better in town at Trulucks!

Room Tip: We were in the Gary Palmer lodge which was beautiful! Great experience with the Jim McLean golf sch...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent visit to Trump National Doral and for sharing feedback on Trip Advisor. I am pleased that you were happy with our associates, and that you had a great experience at the Jim McLean golf school.

We regret to hear about disappointing experience with our food. I have shared your comments with our Executive Chef, so we can prevent your negative experience from happening again.

We look forward to welcoming you back at Trump National Doral.

South Bend, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

This was my first stay since Trump took over a couple years ago. The renovations are proceeding. The new pool areas are great, very comfortable and the deck staff go above and beyond. The grill on the pool deck was excellent ( iwas pleaseantly surprised).
Our lodge had not yet been renovated but the work was progressing in the other lodges.
The combintaion of pools, golf and location make this a great place to stay in Miami.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your positive feedback on Trip Advisor. I am happy to hear about your return visit and that you loved the new Trump National Doral. We are thrilled about your great experience at our Royal Palm Pool and Palm Grill. Your feedback is a great compliment and I am happy that our associates went above and beyond to make sure you had a memorable experience.

Thank you again, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

This property just re-opened after a major makeover and rebranding under the Trump name. I stayed for three nights at the end of March 2014, and when I arrived the staff told me they had only been open for two weeks.

It shows.

The buildings and grounds are beautifully appointed in a sort of Russian-Oligarch-Meets-The Parthenon sort of style. Ivanka Trump is evidently a woman who has been given every advantage in life except good taste. My suite in the Spa Hotel could easily house a family of eight in India, and it includes four sinks, two toilets, two closets, a bidet, shower, and a whirlpool tub.

Did I mention I was traveling by myself for a conference?

The trip has been marred by minor service glitches of the sort you never expect to see in a resort of this price range, but which are excusable as they go through the process of shaking things out and training the staff. The grandest adventure happened on my 1 AM arrival, when the staff offered to drive me and my luggage to the Spa after I checked in. The bellhop who drove me, however, had only been on the job two days and had to stop twice to ask for directions, and we would up walking the last 100 yards after he got stuck behind a gate which would not open. What would normally be a five minute walk turned into a 30-minute trek, though I have to admit that after a certain point I settled back and enjoyed the comedy of it all.

(I did not, by the way, complain about this misadventure. I assume the unfortunate bellhop has now taken the time to learn his way around the grounds, and I don't want to be That Guy who gets someone fired on his second day on the job. In any event, it wasn't his fault: the real problem is that the resort didn't train the new staff adequately before opening.)

The food, though, is where the real problem is. For the most part, the food has been, while generally not bad, nowhere near what I expect for the price paid. And unless you have a car, it's very hard to leave the resort grounds to find food elsewhere. You are stuck with what they have.

Let's begin with the price. First, the posted prices are all lies, because the report imposes an automatic 18% gratuity on every food purchase. And I mean everything: even a cup of coffee from the cafe comes with this "gratuity" attached.

And the prices themselves are absurd. $5 for a cup of coffee (which turns into $6 after the "gratuity" and tax). $12 for a sandwich in a box (actually over $15) which 7-11 would be embarrassed to sell.

My first morning was a Sunday, so I did the Sunday buffet brunch. This was over $34 by the time everything was added in (coffee was NOT included in the price of the buffet), and the buffet itself was not up to the standard the price would imply. The omelette chef somehow managed to not melt the cheese in my omelette; and they had a very skimpy selection of fresh fruit (one of the staff mentioned that they had "run out of berries." How does that happen for $34?).

Since brunch didn't do it for me, a few hours later I bought that $15 sandwich in a box from the cafe. It was ham on cheese on a pretzel roll, but somehow juices from the tomatoes had run down around the side of the roll and made the whole thing unpleasantly slimy. I threw it out after one bite.

That evening for dinner I had a sit-down catered dinner as part of the conference I attended, which was also marred by miscues and glitches. The staff took a very long time to get around all the tables with salad dressing, so many people had actually finished their salad course by the time they were offered dressing. And the cheesecake we were served for dessert was served a little bit frozen in the middle.

So my summary:

Pro: Nicely updated property in grand style (if you're a fan of fluted columns and giant fountains).

Con: Brand-new staff still needs time to shake out the glitches. Very overpriced and mediocre food. Bring a cooler. Also, the perfume in the hotel lobby is really strong--people with sensitivities may want to stay away.

And in the amusing postscript department: I was chatting with one of the conference organizers about the service problems, and the rumor is that part of the problem is that members of the Trump family have a habit of dropping in from time to time, ordering a bunch of random changes, disrupting everything, and leaving. This is making the staff constantly nervous and making it hard for them to focus on smoothing out the hotel operations. For what it's worth, and don't believe everything you read on the Internet.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
David F, Manager at Trump National Doral Miami, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us in March. I sincerely regret to hear about your less than ideal experience. I apologize for the deficiencies in service specially your shuttle drive to the Spa at arrival, and your Sunday buffet brunch. We do appreciate your feedback, as it allows us the opportunity to review the occurrences and make changes to improve the guest experience.

We thank you again for sharing your comments with us. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is very grand in appearance. Check in was good and friendly. We stayed at the Spa building, which was on the other side of this very big resort. Friendly service. Room was big, with a living room, two bathrooms and are you ready, three balconies! As nice as all that sounds, the room and bathrooms do need some updating, looked a little worn in places.

Had dinner outside at BLT, service was slow, lot's of servers, but not really sure what they were all doing. Dinner took 3 hours, and the food was cold, even though we complained, no one seemed to care,

Valet had some issues as well, took a long time to get our car, seemed disorganized.

A hotel like this should always score a 4 or 5 out of 5. But not on this stay, hotel is good, but has work to do.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. I am happy that you were pleased with our friendly service, and spacious bedrooms. I regret to hear about your experience at BLT Prime, your thoughts are very important to us. We have reviewed the issues experienced and have taken corrective action in efforts to improve our guest experience.
We appreciate you sharing your experience here and we hope to welcome you back again.

Westfield, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

I just came back from the Trump National Doral. I could not have been more pleased and had a wonderful vacation. Trump did a superb job in renovating this hotel. I was also very skeptical about staying there, because of all the bad reviews. I was so impressed and pleased with all aspects of the hotel including the beautiful pool and my room was great. The staff at Trump went out of their way to insure us a fantastic time. Frank at the front desk is now my best friend and Buck is a close second. People could not have been nicer and went above and beyond to make our stay enjoyable. I went with three girlfriends and we golfed everyday. We are definitely going to make this an annual trip.
Rosann from cold New Jersey

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
David F, Manager at Trump National Doral Miami, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay in March on Trip Advisor. We’re happy to hear that you had a wonderful vacation and that you were impressed and pleased with us at Trump National Doral. I appreciate the recognition of Frank, and Buck from Front Office, I have shared your comments with them and with all of our associates. We’re also thrilled that you particularly enjoyed your golf rounds, our Royal Palm Pool, and our friendly staff.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Trump National Doral.

Niagara on the Lake
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

Room was great. Make sure you are not on main floor near elevator. Once I moved it was great.
Gilda at Concierge went above and beyond!
Blue Monster Fabulious!!
White - please demolish.
I will give them the benefit of the doubt. Mostly everything was very good and will only get better with time. Pool is very nice but water way too warm.
Overall I'd go back.

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. I am happy that you were pleased with your accommodations and that you enjoyed your golf experience while playing the Blue Monster. I appreciate your acknowledgement of Gilda, we will happily share your praises.

We appreciate you sharing your experience here and we hope to welcome you back again!

Vice President and Managing Director

Been to Trump National Doral Miami? Share your experiences!