“Getting a nice update” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Doral
South Bend, Indiana
“Getting a nice update”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

This was my first stay since Trump took over a couple years ago. The renovations are proceeding. The new pool areas are great, very comfortable and the deck staff go above and beyond. The grill on the pool deck was excellent ( iwas pleaseantly surprised).
Our lodge had not yet been renovated but the work was progressing in the other lodges.
The combintaion of pools, golf and location make this a great place to stay in Miami.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
David F, Manager at Trump National Doral Miami, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your positive feedback on Trip Advisor. I am happy to hear about your return visit and that you loved the new Trump National Doral. We are thrilled about your great experience at our Royal Palm Pool and Palm Grill. Your feedback is a great compliment and I am happy that our associates went above and beyond to make sure you had a memorable experience.

Thank you again, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Vice President & Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

This property just re-opened after a major makeover and rebranding under the Trump name. I stayed for three nights at the end of March 2014, and when I arrived the staff told me they had only been open for two weeks.

It shows.

The buildings and grounds are beautifully appointed in a sort of Russian-Oligarch-Meets-The Parthenon sort of style. Ivanka Trump is evidently a woman who has been given every advantage in life except good taste. My suite in the Spa Hotel could easily house a family of eight in India, and it includes four sinks, two toilets, two closets, a bidet, shower, and a whirlpool tub.

Did I mention I was traveling by myself for a conference?

The trip has been marred by minor service glitches of the sort you never expect to see in a resort of this price range, but which are excusable as they go through the process of shaking things out and training the staff. The grandest adventure happened on my 1 AM arrival, when the staff offered to drive me and my luggage to the Spa after I checked in. The bellhop who drove me, however, had only been on the job two days and had to stop twice to ask for directions, and we would up walking the last 100 yards after he got stuck behind a gate which would not open. What would normally be a five minute walk turned into a 30-minute trek, though I have to admit that after a certain point I settled back and enjoyed the comedy of it all.

(I did not, by the way, complain about this misadventure. I assume the unfortunate bellhop has now taken the time to learn his way around the grounds, and I don't want to be That Guy who gets someone fired on his second day on the job. In any event, it wasn't his fault: the real problem is that the resort didn't train the new staff adequately before opening.)

The food, though, is where the real problem is. For the most part, the food has been, while generally not bad, nowhere near what I expect for the price paid. And unless you have a car, it's very hard to leave the resort grounds to find food elsewhere. You are stuck with what they have.

Let's begin with the price. First, the posted prices are all lies, because the report imposes an automatic 18% gratuity on every food purchase. And I mean everything: even a cup of coffee from the cafe comes with this "gratuity" attached.

And the prices themselves are absurd. $5 for a cup of coffee (which turns into $6 after the "gratuity" and tax). $12 for a sandwich in a box (actually over $15) which 7-11 would be embarrassed to sell.

My first morning was a Sunday, so I did the Sunday buffet brunch. This was over $34 by the time everything was added in (coffee was NOT included in the price of the buffet), and the buffet itself was not up to the standard the price would imply. The omelette chef somehow managed to not melt the cheese in my omelette; and they had a very skimpy selection of fresh fruit (one of the staff mentioned that they had "run out of berries." How does that happen for $34?).

Since brunch didn't do it for me, a few hours later I bought that $15 sandwich in a box from the cafe. It was ham on cheese on a pretzel roll, but somehow juices from the tomatoes had run down around the side of the roll and made the whole thing unpleasantly slimy. I threw it out after one bite.

That evening for dinner I had a sit-down catered dinner as part of the conference I attended, which was also marred by miscues and glitches. The staff took a very long time to get around all the tables with salad dressing, so many people had actually finished their salad course by the time they were offered dressing. And the cheesecake we were served for dessert was served a little bit frozen in the middle.

So my summary:

Pro: Nicely updated property in grand style (if you're a fan of fluted columns and giant fountains).

Con: Brand-new staff still needs time to shake out the glitches. Very overpriced and mediocre food. Bring a cooler. Also, the perfume in the hotel lobby is really strong--people with sensitivities may want to stay away.

And in the amusing postscript department: I was chatting with one of the conference organizers about the service problems, and the rumor is that part of the problem is that members of the Trump family have a habit of dropping in from time to time, ordering a bunch of random changes, disrupting everything, and leaving. This is making the staff constantly nervous and making it hard for them to focus on smoothing out the hotel operations. For what it's worth, and don't believe everything you read on the Internet.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
David F, Manager at Trump National Doral Miami, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us in March. I sincerely regret to hear about your less than ideal experience. I apologize for the deficiencies in service specially your shuttle drive to the Spa at arrival, and your Sunday buffet brunch. We do appreciate your feedback, as it allows us the opportunity to review the occurrences and make changes to improve the guest experience.

We thank you again for sharing your comments with us. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is very grand in appearance. Check in was good and friendly. We stayed at the Spa building, which was on the other side of this very big resort. Friendly service. Room was big, with a living room, two bathrooms and are you ready, three balconies! As nice as all that sounds, the room and bathrooms do need some updating, looked a little worn in places.

Had dinner outside at BLT, service was slow, lot's of servers, but not really sure what they were all doing. Dinner took 3 hours, and the food was cold, even though we complained, no one seemed to care,

Valet had some issues as well, took a long time to get our car, seemed disorganized.

A hotel like this should always score a 4 or 5 out of 5. But not on this stay, hotel is good, but has work to do.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. I am happy that you were pleased with our friendly service, and spacious bedrooms. I regret to hear about your experience at BLT Prime, your thoughts are very important to us. We have reviewed the issues experienced and have taken corrective action in efforts to improve our guest experience.
We appreciate you sharing your experience here and we hope to welcome you back again.

Westfield, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

I just came back from the Trump National Doral. I could not have been more pleased and had a wonderful vacation. Trump did a superb job in renovating this hotel. I was also very skeptical about staying there, because of all the bad reviews. I was so impressed and pleased with all aspects of the hotel including the beautiful pool and my room was great. The staff at Trump went out of their way to insure us a fantastic time. Frank at the front desk is now my best friend and Buck is a close second. People could not have been nicer and went above and beyond to make our stay enjoyable. I went with three girlfriends and we golfed everyday. We are definitely going to make this an annual trip.
Rosann from cold New Jersey

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
David F, Manager at Trump National Doral Miami, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay in March on Trip Advisor. We’re happy to hear that you had a wonderful vacation and that you were impressed and pleased with us at Trump National Doral. I appreciate the recognition of Frank, and Buck from Front Office, I have shared your comments with them and with all of our associates. We’re also thrilled that you particularly enjoyed your golf rounds, our Royal Palm Pool, and our friendly staff.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Trump National Doral.

Niagara on the Lake
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

Room was great. Make sure you are not on main floor near elevator. Once I moved it was great.
Gilda at Concierge went above and beyond!
Blue Monster Fabulious!!
White - please demolish.
I will give them the benefit of the doubt. Mostly everything was very good and will only get better with time. Pool is very nice but water way too warm.
Overall I'd go back.

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. I am happy that you were pleased with your accommodations and that you enjoyed your golf experience while playing the Blue Monster. I appreciate your acknowledgement of Gilda, we will happily share your praises.

We appreciate you sharing your experience here and we hope to welcome you back again!

Glen Mills, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

We stayed at the Trump National Doral Miami for a medical conference from Feb 25-March 1. While I understand the resort was undergoing construction and trying to be ready to open in time for the big golf tournament the following week, I don't think any of those reasons should be an excuse for your current customers to receive such poor service and accommodations.

There were 2 employees who were exceptional: Jorge at reception/check-in and Luis at the pool. They went out of their way to be overly friendly and helpful when other staff members just seemed completely clueless.

I'm not going to re-iterate the other posts, they are all 100% on target. There was construction everywhere, you couldn't walk without practically tripping over something; There was no lighting at night and the sidewalks weren't finished. The layout is HORRID and although the bellmen try their best to get shuttles for people, it was quicker just to walk than wait the 30 minutes for a golf-cart to talk us back to our building. There was absolutely no organization to how things were run it was complete mishegoss.

We stayed in the Tiger Woods Villa, which had just opened the week prior. Two days the elevator didn't work. The path flooded every morning. It was right across from the "grand reception area" so we heard construction all night. Across from out bed there was a life-size picture of Tiger Woods staring at us all night, PLUS one of him and his dad over the toilet in the bathroom, it was creepy and gaudy. We woke up to maintenance workers banging and fixing things in the hallways and on Sat March 1st people with walkie-talkies saying that "Sports Illustrated is here for the photo shoot, make it look done" over & over again.

There was only ONE restaurant in the entire resort that was open (or completed), and that was at the pool. The resort is NOT within walking distance to restaurants so you're kind of stuck eating there, by the pool, for every meal. It was insane. The average wait time to 1) get service was 30-45 minutes (yes, that was AFTER having a seat) and 2) to get your food after ordering was 60-90 minutes. And the waitstaff seemed to have had absolutely NO training, if we weren't so aggravated, it would've been laughable.

The prices during this "under construction" phase were not reduced one cent. My boyfriend ordered a mojito by the pool (the only bar in the entire resort as well), but the resort was out of mint leaves. (We WERE in Miami, mojitos are kind of a given in Miami, the resort out of mint leaves??? Couldn't someone have gone to Costco and bought mint leaves for the bar? WERE THEY SERIOUS)? So, the waiter recommended a drink "just like a mojito but Brazilian", cost…$19 for a drink in a plastic cup and all ice.

I could keep going on, but again, I feel like I am reiterating what others have already said.
If I could give one recommendations, save your money, and stay somewhere else. The Trump National Doral is just NOT worth the money they will bilk out of you.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay with us in February. We sincerely regret to hear that your recent experience with us was less than desirable. We do appreciate your feedback, and sincerely apologize for the inconveniences experienced due to our renovations. Since your stay, we opened our Main Clubhouse with new dining options and recreational facilities. I do appreciate the recognition of Jorge and Luis, we are pleased that they provided great service during your stay.

Please accept our sincerest apologies, we hope you give us another opportunity and visit us again.

Lake Hopatcong, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

I was very skeptical at staying at the Trump National Doral Miami after reading all the negative reviews before my visit. Upon entering I was completely blown away and the great layout and landscape while driving up to the Lobby. We were greeted by numerous bell hops, cleaning people and of course the front desk. We stayed in the Tiger Woods Villa which is completely renovated. Upon entereing the room you couldn't help notice the Huge TV and the comfortable bed. The Bathroom was just as amazing. Our balcony view overlooked the driving range.
The 2 pools were great as well. They offer an adult only pool and a zero entry pool for all to enjoy. Also have a water slide for the kids and hot tub for adults. Service is a bit slow poolside and expensive.
There were a few negatives, Self Parking was down by the Legends conference center which was a far walk. However they do offer cart service down to Self Parking and the drivers are very friendly. Another negative is with all the work being done to this amazing resort there was a lot of noise and construction vehicles driving around but I did not let either of these negatives impact my stay.
Cant comment on any of the restaurants on the premises but they seemed very pricey.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
David F, Manager at Trump National Doral Miami, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay in March. We are happy that you enjoyed your experience here and that you were blown away by the new Trump National Doral. I am pleased that you enjoyed your room in Tiger Woods Villa, and relaxed at Royal Palm Pool.

Thank you again and we look forward to another opportunity to welcome you back.

Vice President and Managing Director

Been to Trump National Doral Miami? Share your experiences!