“Very Disappointed” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Doral
Glen Mills, Pennsylvania
“Very Disappointed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

We stayed at the Trump National Doral Miami for a medical conference from Feb 25-March 1. While I understand the resort was undergoing construction and trying to be ready to open in time for the big golf tournament the following week, I don't think any of those reasons should be an excuse for your current customers to receive such poor service and accommodations.

There were 2 employees who were exceptional: Jorge at reception/check-in and Luis at the pool. They went out of their way to be overly friendly and helpful when other staff members just seemed completely clueless.

I'm not going to re-iterate the other posts, they are all 100% on target. There was construction everywhere, you couldn't walk without practically tripping over something; There was no lighting at night and the sidewalks weren't finished. The layout is HORRID and although the bellmen try their best to get shuttles for people, it was quicker just to walk than wait the 30 minutes for a golf-cart to talk us back to our building. There was absolutely no organization to how things were run it was complete mishegoss.

We stayed in the Tiger Woods Villa, which had just opened the week prior. Two days the elevator didn't work. The path flooded every morning. It was right across from the "grand reception area" so we heard construction all night. Across from out bed there was a life-size picture of Tiger Woods staring at us all night, PLUS one of him and his dad over the toilet in the bathroom, it was creepy and gaudy. We woke up to maintenance workers banging and fixing things in the hallways and on Sat March 1st people with walkie-talkies saying that "Sports Illustrated is here for the photo shoot, make it look done" over & over again.

There was only ONE restaurant in the entire resort that was open (or completed), and that was at the pool. The resort is NOT within walking distance to restaurants so you're kind of stuck eating there, by the pool, for every meal. It was insane. The average wait time to 1) get service was 30-45 minutes (yes, that was AFTER having a seat) and 2) to get your food after ordering was 60-90 minutes. And the waitstaff seemed to have had absolutely NO training, if we weren't so aggravated, it would've been laughable.

The prices during this "under construction" phase were not reduced one cent. My boyfriend ordered a mojito by the pool (the only bar in the entire resort as well), but the resort was out of mint leaves. (We WERE in Miami, mojitos are kind of a given in Miami, the resort out of mint leaves??? Couldn't someone have gone to Costco and bought mint leaves for the bar? WERE THEY SERIOUS)? So, the waiter recommended a drink "just like a mojito but Brazilian", cost…$19 for a drink in a plastic cup and all ice.

I could keep going on, but again, I feel like I am reiterating what others have already said.
If I could give one recommendations, save your money, and stay somewhere else. The Trump National Doral is just NOT worth the money they will bilk out of you.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
David F, Manager at Trump National Doral Miami, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay with us in February. We sincerely regret to hear that your recent experience with us was less than desirable. We do appreciate your feedback, and sincerely apologize for the inconveniences experienced due to our renovations. Since your stay, we opened our Main Clubhouse with new dining options and recreational facilities. I do appreciate the recognition of Jorge and Luis, we are pleased that they provided great service during your stay.

Please accept our sincerest apologies, we hope you give us another opportunity and visit us again.

Vice President & Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
Lake Hopatcong, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

I was very skeptical at staying at the Trump National Doral Miami after reading all the negative reviews before my visit. Upon entering I was completely blown away and the great layout and landscape while driving up to the Lobby. We were greeted by numerous bell hops, cleaning people and of course the front desk. We stayed in the Tiger Woods Villa which is completely renovated. Upon entereing the room you couldn't help notice the Huge TV and the comfortable bed. The Bathroom was just as amazing. Our balcony view overlooked the driving range.
The 2 pools were great as well. They offer an adult only pool and a zero entry pool for all to enjoy. Also have a water slide for the kids and hot tub for adults. Service is a bit slow poolside and expensive.
There were a few negatives, Self Parking was down by the Legends conference center which was a far walk. However they do offer cart service down to Self Parking and the drivers are very friendly. Another negative is with all the work being done to this amazing resort there was a lot of noise and construction vehicles driving around but I did not let either of these negatives impact my stay.
Cant comment on any of the restaurants on the premises but they seemed very pricey.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
David F, Manager at Trump National Doral Miami, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay in March. We are happy that you enjoyed your experience here and that you were blown away by the new Trump National Doral. I am pleased that you enjoyed your room in Tiger Woods Villa, and relaxed at Royal Palm Pool.

Thank you again and we look forward to another opportunity to welcome you back.

Westfield, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

I traveled to Miami and stayed at this hotel form March 10-14. From the moment I checked in to when I left I was disappointed. We checked in early, around 10am, and left our number to be called when our room was available. We checked every hour until 3pm when our room was finally available. The next day I had a business meeting and was gone from 10 am until around 5pm. When I returned to my room my towels were still dirty and my bed was not made so I called to have fresh towels brought in. On Wednesday it was the same, we had to call to have our room attended to. Thursday our room was cleaned without calling, which you'd expect so no high remarks there. Also the internet in my rom was not strong and it took too long for web pages to load. In order to connect to my work's system I had to sit by the pool, thankfully the it was beautiful so it wasn't too much of a hardship.

On check out my bill was missing a day, it was under a separate reservation and was never combined. We were able to work through that but when I returned home I had a random full nights charge. When I called they said it was because I was a no show on Wednesday. I checked in on Monday and stayed until Friday, how I was a no show o Wednesday is beyond me but they were able to remove the charge.

There are some positives, it wasn't all negative. The weather was perfect, high 70's and low 80's, absolutely beautiful not that the property had anything to do with that. The spa was also nice. I got a facial and it was very relaxing. There is a workout facility that is only available to certain members which was disappointing because they offered fitness classes that I would have liked to have taken.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
David F, Manager at Trump National Doral Miami, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us in March on Trip Advisor. We try our best to accommodate all our guests’ requests and we apologize that we were unable to fulfill your early check in request upon arrival at 10:00 am. I regret to hear about your disappointing experience in regards to the housekeeping of your room, internet connection, and billing.

I am pleased that you were able to enjoy your day at the spa, and that you found your treatment relaxing. I hope you give us another opportunity in the future with a return visit.

Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

Most rooms are not renovated, they smell like cigarettes and mold. Service is terrible. Just realized that my bill was incorrect as well and they are charging me for dining that occurred day prior to my arrival!! Would never come back in a million years!

Room Tip: If you are going to stay there, only stay at the Tiger Woods building... only renovated portion of t...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

We sincerely regret to hear that your recent experience with us was less than desirable. I apologize for your negative experience, particularly with billing. We do appreciate your feedback, as it allows us the opportunity to review the occurrences in an effort to improve the guest experience.

We hope you give us another opportunity and visit us again.

Gilbert, South Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

The day I checked in, there was only hand lotion and 3 "hair rinses." Of course, I didn't discover there was no shampoo until mid shower. Later in my stay, there was hand lotion, shampoo, body wash and hair rinses -- as would be expected. However, housekeeping failed to leave coffee the second day. These are minor annoyances, of course.

What was really unacceptable was that there were no king-sized sheets and the bottom 1-1/2 feet of mattress was UNCOVERED. It was very disturbing to feel the fuzzy thin mattress pad when I stretched out in bed. When I complained to housekeeping the next day, they said those were the only sheets they had. She added a second sheet on the bottom, leaving a lumpy mess to lay on. I would prefer king-size fitted bottom sheets, and understand hotels sometimes use flat sheets on top and bottom, but to use too-small sheets was totally unsatisfactory. See photo taken when I pulled back the covers.

I was in Lodge 7, which has not been renovated, and is some distance from the clubhouse. When I was taken to my room by golf cart the first night, I saw several cars parked out front and asked if I could park there. I was told that was forbidden, but that the valet would bring my car to the lodge, if requested. When I called the next morning, I was told cars were not delivered to the lodges. That type of inconsistent information is maddening.

Finally, TV reception was poor, and the batteries must have died in the safe the third day because I could no longer set it (no lights - no beeps). I was checking out in the morning, so didn't call to request repair.

Most of the staff was pleasant and more than helpful. When I asked where something was located, they both showed me on a map and escorted me there.

However, I felt the woman staffing the valet window was unnecessarily curt, there was no bill under my door, and when I checked out (an awfully slow process), Juliet never even asked if my stay had been satisfactory. I had to volunteer the safe needed repair.

All in all, quite disappointing.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay with us in March. I regret that we did not meet the expectations of our brand. I sincerely apologize for the troubles you experienced during your stay, especially regarding your room, and housekeeping. We take your feedback very seriously and have addressed your experience with our Housekeeping Managers to ensure that we are reinforcing our service standards and improve the guest experience.

Tolland, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

I have been lucky enough to stay at some beautiful places and Doral doesn't rate. They have a long way to go for the value to match the prices. Food and wine costs are ridiculous, service is mediocre and if you are not in a renovated room I promise you'll feel gyped.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing feedback on your recent stay in March. I regret that we did not meet your expectations, and apologize for the deficiencies in service. We are in the process of transforming every aspect of Trump National Doral and take this as an opportunity to improve the guest experience.

We hope you give us another opportunity with a return visit in the future.

Windsor, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

The location and outside view of the property are excellent. The buildings are nested among mature trees and facing golf course. But inside the room, you can tell it had its better days but definitely needing update. The TV still only have analogue signals - we actually thought the TV in our room had in-correct settings, when the engineer came to check, he told me that the blurred graphics is normal.

The service was ok at front desk but the valet parking team was very friendly - there is no other parking service available.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

We are happy that our location and outside view of the resort were “excellent” for your recent stay last month. We are in the process of transforming all our guest rooms with new décor, furnishings, upgraded fixtures and amenities to exceed all our guests’ expectations.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on your recent visit, and I look forward to welcome you again.

Vice President and Managing Director

Been to Trump National Doral Miami? Share your experiences!