“Disappointed” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Doral
Westfield, Massachusetts
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

I traveled to Miami and stayed at this hotel form March 10-14. From the moment I checked in to when I left I was disappointed. We checked in early, around 10am, and left our number to be called when our room was available. We checked every hour until 3pm when our room was finally available. The next day I had a business meeting and was gone from 10 am until around 5pm. When I returned to my room my towels were still dirty and my bed was not made so I called to have fresh towels brought in. On Wednesday it was the same, we had to call to have our room attended to. Thursday our room was cleaned without calling, which you'd expect so no high remarks there. Also the internet in my rom was not strong and it took too long for web pages to load. In order to connect to my work's system I had to sit by the pool, thankfully the it was beautiful so it wasn't too much of a hardship.

On check out my bill was missing a day, it was under a separate reservation and was never combined. We were able to work through that but when I returned home I had a random full nights charge. When I called they said it was because I was a no show on Wednesday. I checked in on Monday and stayed until Friday, how I was a no show o Wednesday is beyond me but they were able to remove the charge.

There are some positives, it wasn't all negative. The weather was perfect, high 70's and low 80's, absolutely beautiful not that the property had anything to do with that. The spa was also nice. I got a facial and it was very relaxing. There is a workout facility that is only available to certain members which was disappointing because they offered fitness classes that I would have liked to have taken.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
David F, Manager at Trump National Doral Miami, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us in March on Trip Advisor. We try our best to accommodate all our guests’ requests and we apologize that we were unable to fulfill your early check in request upon arrival at 10:00 am. I regret to hear about your disappointing experience in regards to the housekeeping of your room, internet connection, and billing.

I am pleased that you were able to enjoy your day at the spa, and that you found your treatment relaxing. I hope you give us another opportunity in the future with a return visit.

Vice President & Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

Most rooms are not renovated, they smell like cigarettes and mold. Service is terrible. Just realized that my bill was incorrect as well and they are charging me for dining that occurred day prior to my arrival!! Would never come back in a million years!

Room Tip: If you are going to stay there, only stay at the Tiger Woods building... only renovated portion of t...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

We sincerely regret to hear that your recent experience with us was less than desirable. I apologize for your negative experience, particularly with billing. We do appreciate your feedback, as it allows us the opportunity to review the occurrences in an effort to improve the guest experience.

We hope you give us another opportunity and visit us again.

Gilbert, South Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

The day I checked in, there was only hand lotion and 3 "hair rinses." Of course, I didn't discover there was no shampoo until mid shower. Later in my stay, there was hand lotion, shampoo, body wash and hair rinses -- as would be expected. However, housekeeping failed to leave coffee the second day. These are minor annoyances, of course.

What was really unacceptable was that there were no king-sized sheets and the bottom 1-1/2 feet of mattress was UNCOVERED. It was very disturbing to feel the fuzzy thin mattress pad when I stretched out in bed. When I complained to housekeeping the next day, they said those were the only sheets they had. She added a second sheet on the bottom, leaving a lumpy mess to lay on. I would prefer king-size fitted bottom sheets, and understand hotels sometimes use flat sheets on top and bottom, but to use too-small sheets was totally unsatisfactory. See photo taken when I pulled back the covers.

I was in Lodge 7, which has not been renovated, and is some distance from the clubhouse. When I was taken to my room by golf cart the first night, I saw several cars parked out front and asked if I could park there. I was told that was forbidden, but that the valet would bring my car to the lodge, if requested. When I called the next morning, I was told cars were not delivered to the lodges. That type of inconsistent information is maddening.

Finally, TV reception was poor, and the batteries must have died in the safe the third day because I could no longer set it (no lights - no beeps). I was checking out in the morning, so didn't call to request repair.

Most of the staff was pleasant and more than helpful. When I asked where something was located, they both showed me on a map and escorted me there.

However, I felt the woman staffing the valet window was unnecessarily curt, there was no bill under my door, and when I checked out (an awfully slow process), Juliet never even asked if my stay had been satisfactory. I had to volunteer the safe needed repair.

All in all, quite disappointing.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room.
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay with us in March. I regret that we did not meet the expectations of our brand. I sincerely apologize for the troubles you experienced during your stay, especially regarding your room, and housekeeping. We take your feedback very seriously and have addressed your experience with our Housekeeping Managers to ensure that we are reinforcing our service standards and improve the guest experience.

Please accept our sincerest apologies, we hope you give us another opportunity and visit us again.

Tolland, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

I have been lucky enough to stay at some beautiful places and Doral doesn't rate. They have a long way to go for the value to match the prices. Food and wine costs are ridiculous, service is mediocre and if you are not in a renovated room I promise you'll feel gyped.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing feedback on your recent stay in March. I regret that we did not meet your expectations, and apologize for the deficiencies in service. We are in the process of transforming every aspect of Trump National Doral and take this as an opportunity to improve the guest experience.

We hope you give us another opportunity with a return visit in the future.

Vice President and Managing Director
Windsor, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

The location and outside view of the property are excellent. The buildings are nested among mature trees and facing golf course. But inside the room, you can tell it had its better days but definitely needing update. The TV still only have analogue signals - we actually thought the TV in our room had in-correct settings, when the engineer came to check, he told me that the blurred graphics is normal.

The service was ok at front desk but the valet parking team was very friendly - there is no other parking service available.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

We are happy that our location and outside view of the resort were “excellent” for your recent stay last month. We are in the process of transforming all our guest rooms with new décor, furnishings, upgraded fixtures and amenities to exceed all our guests’ expectations.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on your recent visit, and I look forward to welcome you again.

Vice President and Managing Director
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

Stayed here for three nights on business with 5 associates (6 rooms.) While the place seemed nice at first glance, the entire experience was less than desirable. My room in Lodge 3 was spacious with a large balcony, and decent furnishings, but the bathroom was small and cramped with a horrible shower head. The food for breakfast was pretty bad, and you had to beg to get coffee. Don't the wait staff realize that people want coffee as soon as they sit down for breakfast? If Denny's gets this concept, certainly the Trump people could. Food for lunch was mediocre and very expensive. Restaurant staff was clueless--set the table without forks and then seemed truly puzzled when we asked for forks. The pool is nice, but you have to walk down the middle of a busy driveway to get to it. The checkout experience was a nightmare, with a huge wait (one overwhelmed person working the desk--her colleague was 'trying to send a fax, but the fax machine wasn't working.) Simple tasks like splitting out mini bar charges for separate payment required calls to accounting and 15 minutes to figure out. Most of the staff seemed undertrained and overwhelmed, and certainly not empowered to find solutions to problems.

Also, the hotel is right by the airport, so you get a lot of aircraft noise.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
David F, Manager at Trump National Doral Miami, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

We sincerely regret to hear that your recent experience with us was less than desirable. I apologize for your negative experience, particularly at breakfast and during check out. We do appreciate your feedback, as it allows us the opportunity to review the occurrences in an effort to improve the guest experience.

We hope you give us another opportunity and visit us again.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

Having read all of the recent negative reviews concerning the disruption in service due to the ongoing renovations, we were quite worried that we, too, would be disappointed in our 5 day stay at this resort. Could not have been more wrong! We had an amazingly wonderful experience here and would highly recommend the resort to anyone looking for a great golf getaway. The staff, particularly Frank (front desk manager) but also every other employee we had the pleasure to interact with, went above and beyond throughout our stay to make sure we were happy - they truly exceeded our expectations at every turn. The pool staff was outstanding (and the drinks were inventive and delicious), the golf shop and course staff were extremely accommodating and the front desk personnel (especially Catrina and Buck) were terrific. The staff has been through the ringer with all of the negativity surrounding the renovations (Mr. Trump's company apparently didn't see fit to inform people making reservations that there would be service disruptions over the last several months and left the poor staff to deal with a lot of unhappy guests as a result. I would have understood if they were weary from all of the abuse, but they honestly could not have been more kind and professional).

We played 3 rounds of golf and enjoyed the courses. The Red course is currently being rebuilt, so the beauty of the place was marred a bit by that activity, but it didn't stop us from enjoying our rounds and we are looking forward to going back when the work is complete. The newly completed pool area is lovely and luxurious and the restaurant there serves terrific appetizers (especially loved the Acapulco style shrimp, fried calamari, and the tomato and mozz lavash), salads (Ivanka salad and crispy shrimp salad were dynamite) and sandwiches (especially loved the steak ciabatta).

We stayed in a newly renovated villa and the room was beautiful, well-appointed, and had fabulous beds and bedding. The robes were the most luxurious I've ever been offered at a hotel.

So the bottom line is to understand that the most impactful parts of the renovation are complete and give this place a visit. They are continuing to renovate the aging parts of the resort, but the infrastructure seems to be back in place and the key areas of the resort are fantastic. The staff makes for a wonderful experience and will do everything they can to make you happy.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Gary Player Villa which is beautifully renovated and convenient to the pool and the...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay in March on Trip Advisor. We’re happy to hear that you had an “amazing” time and loved every moment with us here at Trump National Doral. I appreciate the recognition of Frank, Catrina, and Buck from Front Office, I have shared your comments with them and with all of our associates. We’re also thrilled that you particularly enjoyed your golf rounds, our Royal Palm Pool, and our friendly staff.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Trump National Doral.

Vice President & Managing Director

Been to Trump National Doral Miami? Share your experiences!