“inconsistent” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Doral
Cleveland, Ohio
“inconsistent”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

Disclaimer, I am not a golfer. That being said I visited for a conference at the end of February. I expected more out of a resort. The place was on rabid pace to finish major renovations prior to the coral golf tournament. The main check in desk was moved to the spa check in. I tried to check in for my conference at 12, but my room wasn't ready. I had to change into my suit in the men's locker room for the spa. The directions given to me were vague at best. I'll let you know that you have to take a different elevator to the second floor to reach the men's then the women's which makes sense but would have been better had it been spelled out. I was then instructed to take my bags to the legends ballroom meeting area since that would be closer to my room. After the end of my meetings around five, I waited with another gentleman to pick up my bags only to be informed that my bags were not there and may have been transferred back to the spa lobby, which was in the opposite direction of my room!

In regards to the rooms, we stayed in 411 which faced the golf course. There was a small patio with two chairs but across from the grass the cement wasn't laid yet so you couldn't really park a golf cart and run past the lawn straight to the room. We had two beds, a chaise lounge and a chair. The room was a decent size. The bathroom had a double sink, a tub, standalone shower and separate toilet. Everything was clean.

I found staff in the spa lobby eager to help. I asked for a late checkout and was informed I could leave by three pm. I went to the pool which has new nice lounge chairs surrounding a salt water heated pool that was perfect. Wait staff seemed slow but attentive. I think the bar staff was overwhelmed as well as some point of sale issues which was the real choke point in the service. Food was resort priced as well as were the drinks. Bossa nova played in the background through speakers which drowned out the occasional jack hammer or dremmel tool.

After lounging by the pool (for some reason the ground had a lot of dirt on it which might be due to them trying to create a sandy feel or maybe this was just debris from all the construction going on), I went to my room to shower and pack up but my key didn't work. I walked the five minutes back to the hotel check in at the spa. They then reccoded my key card. Of course, after walking back I still couldn't get in and found a phone and had security get me in my room. Awesome when security asks you for id which is stuck inside your room that you're trying to get into. All this trouble with my key card after they assured me that morning I was good until 3!

Overall happy with the room. Service was sub par. I have been to soft openings. My honeymoon in bora bora was at the intercontinental during a soft opening. I can live with construction and renovation. What I can't stand is incompetency and poor service. From other guests and reviews I knew the place had been bought, the staff turned over and they were renovating everything. But in the hospitality business you better make up for it if your facade is undergoing major changes. Do the little things. This is a large resort property. There is a lot of walking. Once the main lobby is open things will be centralized but until then I would suggest they have golf carts ferrying people around like mad, not asking you call in advance for a pick up. Numerous times I'd be walking and the staff would say hello but not once did anyone in a cart offer a ride. This is in stark contrast to my stay in Tahiti where they'd offer you a ride any chance they passed you.

This is a resort. Don't think you're going to the beach without a long expensive cab ride. I'm sure their main clientele are golfers but I just want to throw it out there if you're thinking of hitting sobe every night. I was there for a conference and it was difficult to get out at night.

I expect more from a resort owned by ruthless TV character who demands more from his proteges. I'd probably think twice about going to one of these properties again.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
David F, Manager at Trump National Doral Miami, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

We appreciate your feedback, your comments are very important to us. I sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations. We are in the process of our renovations to ensure that our services and conditions of the resort are vastly upgraded. Although some areas of resort were under renovation during your stay, our goal is to ensure all of our guests have a positive outlook to our future, and most importantly have an enjoyable stay. I sincerely apologize that we fell short of that.

I hope to regain your confidence and welcome you back to Trump National Doral.

Vice President & Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

They need to complete renovations and get organized; until they do this place is probably one to avoid. It has the potential to be a beautiful property, but the constant buzz of construction equipment, temporary signs, and somewhat confusing layout of the property don't make it feel vey special at all. At some point could it be a luxury golf resort worth spending your money at? Perhaps. But they are at this point unapologetic for pretending to be ready without delivering.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
David F, Manager at Trump National Doral Miami, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

I apologize the overall quality of your stay was disappointing. We are in the process of our renovations and sincerely apologize for the inconveniences experienced. I thank you for taking the time to share your experience, your feedback is very important to us.

Since your visit, we have opened our Main Clubhouse which includes new dining options, bar lounge, shops, and a state-of-the art fitness facility. Our renovated guest rooms offer the ultimate in comfort and luxury that exceed all our guest’s expectations.

I hope you will give us another opportunity with a return visit to Trump National Doral Miami.

Vice President and Managing
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

horrible stay. horrible conditions.
1. There is so much construction going on that it impedes on the experience and is dangerous! - no night lighting on the sidewalks with multiple holes near sidewalks - one of our guests sprained their ankles b/c of that
2. was given a room key by the staff to a room that was already occupied! - the guest was in the bathroom at that time. Then it took them almost 30 minutes to rectify the situation with no apologies
3. construction so loud right by the rooms that we could get no rest or relaxation
4. housestaff broke my charger while cleaning room - which is relatively cheap - but no explanation or notice was given - just a charger left plugged in the wall with the wires exposed

Dear Valued Guest,

I apologize the overall quality of your stay was disappointing. I thank you for taking the time to share your experience, your feedback is very important to us. I have shared your feedback with our leaderships and have taken corrective measures.

We sincerely that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back in the future, to enjoy all of the new enhancements to the resort and be quite satisfied by an improved experience.

Madison, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

ITs a construction site. The service is lovely....when you can find someone to help you. While being lovely and polite, the staff has about a 50%follow through on what they say they will do. There was only one restaurant open during our stay and it was poolside.

The room was quite nice though very overpriced. It was no nicer than your standard room at the Ritz and less aesthetically interesting than a Park Hyatt and about $150.00 more per night. I could hear everything going on in the room next door. The television was huge. The bed was extremely comfortable and they provided bath sheets which I always like.

I think it will be a nice place to stay in about 6 months.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
David F, Manager at Trump National Doral Miami, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. We appreciate you taking the time out to share feedback, your comments are very important to us. I regret that our associates did not provide the level of service expected. I have shared your feedback with our leadership to reinforce our service standards of providing an unparalleled guest experience through courteous and attentive hospitality.

Our Main Clubhouse recently opened, and includes new dining options, a bar lounge, shops, and a state-of-the art fitness facility. Our guest rooms are currently in the process of a full transformation to provide the best in luxury and comfort to exceed all our guest’s expectations.

Southlake, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

This place should be torn down, not remodeled. They pulled bait and switch on me and many many others and refuse to compensate. Well Donald, have you heard of a credit card dispute? As you see from all the responses from mgmt, they DO NOT CARE either. Lets see what happens when I dispute the entire stay as bait and switch, I bet the GM takes a look at that! Plus I have filed a complaint about this property to the state attorneys office for illegal bait and switch activities, hopefully the state will close this place down. Donald and the worthless manager David...You are going down, TIMBER!

Room Tip: Avoid this place at all costs
Saint Paul, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

This is the WORST hotel I have ever stayed in. There is no restaurant to speak of (just a bar at the pool which doesn't have half the menu items) and promptly runs out of drinks. Not to mention that they do a "last call" at 10 pm. There is no shop to by forgotten items, but hey, if you need a new driver or putter, you're good. Just don't forget your toothbrush. It is a confusing layout. The paint jobs, fixture in the rooms make Motel 6 look like a 4 Seasons. I didn't have hot water one day and the television is all analog. The shower fixture is coming off the wall and it is rusted. The thermostat doesn't work so I froze all night and my room was never turned over. I was there for a large business meeting, and I am telling you that they will never have return business from this group. I can't believe you can charge $300/night for such hideous accommodations. I will never be back, not even for business. I will stay elsewhere and I will never, ever recommend this place to anyone. In fact, run the other way! I would not even give this one star.

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. We appreciate you taking the time out to share feedback. I sincerely apologize that your stay was a disappointing one.

We have recently opened our Main Clubhouse which includes new dining options, bar lounge, shops, and a state-of-the art fitness facility. Our guest rooms are currently in the process of a full transformation to provide the ultimate in comfort and luxury to exceed all our guest’s expectations.

Vice President and Managing
Mendham, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

Where should I start?? I stayed here as part of a conference recently. I received email confirmations of my stay with a link stating "contact us via email" if you have questions about your stay. I emailed them twice and never received any response (yes, I checked my spam folder). I made golf reservations online, contacted them as well regarding a time change and also didn't receive a reply.

ROOMS: I was given a room in lodge 8. Hallways smelled like mildew. Colleagues said they had mold in their rooms. I can't believe they charged me close to $300 for these rooms. I would think any budget hotel would have nicer rooms.

STAFF: Uneducated about the hotel, golf facilities, and just about everything else. I found them to have no idea how to direct me to the various parts of the hotel. Even the "at your service" concierge via phone gave me incorrect information about my golf experience. I ended up almost missing my tee time.

SERVICE: Horrible. I have stayed all over the world. Would have had much better service at a Ritz for $150/night. Service at pool-side restaurant (Cascades) was extremely slow. They are clearly understaffed. Additionally-- I got locked out of my room FIVE times. The first time I waited for 20 minutes for security to come open my door. Was told someone else would deliver me a key. Never came. The fourth time I got locked out and went through the same routine, i finally got a key that worked. Only issue is that it got turned off again the morning of checkout two hours before my checkout time. So, I had to wait yet again. The one staff member who actually guided me himself to a conference facility took me through a food facility which was clearly for staff members only. I couldn't imagine what his supervisors would think if they knew this.

I complained to Buck Esguerra, one of the managers, and all he offered was a free massage at the spa. I don't know how they justify charging me $1000 for this stay when I would have had a much better and cheaper experience at the Hyatt down the street. I just read other reviews on TripAdisor and realized that everyone else has had a similar experience. Now I understand why they didn't offer me more.

CONFERENCE FACILITIES: Poor. Our conference room was overcrowded. I was on top of the persons next to me. Audio/Visual techs kept getting the wrong slides on the screen.

SAFETY: Whoa. Construction is everywhere. I was walking on nails, glass and metal shards everywhere. Nothing is roped off. The morning of my golf experience I ended up on a construction site (how did I get here??) and a crane was lifting something over my head. DANGEROUS, I should not have been able to even enter this area. I also walked into the lobby that I didn't realize was still under construction, when I heard "get him out of here, the fire marshall is coming!". If you don't want your guests entering your construction sites then YOU MUST ROPE OFF THESE AREAS!

In the end, I'm embarrassed for Donald Trump, and the management. I'm sorry my corporate group chose this location and I'd imagine this is the last time we stay here.

Room Tip: It's only worth it if you get a brand new villa.
Dear Valued Guest,

I apologize the overall quality of your stay was disappointing. We are in the process of our transformation and sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. I thank you for taking the time to share your experience, your feedback is very important to us.

We sincerely hope that your experience did not entirely tarnish your impression of us and do hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back in the future, to restore your confidence in our resort and brand.

Vice President and Managing Director

Been to Trump National Doral Miami? Share your experiences!