“Mr. Trump should be embarrassed!” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Linger Longer
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Doral
Mendham, New Jersey
“Mr. Trump should be embarrassed!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

Where should I start?? I stayed here as part of a conference recently. I received email confirmations of my stay with a link stating "contact us via email" if you have questions about your stay. I emailed them twice and never received any response (yes, I checked my spam folder). I made golf reservations online, contacted them as well regarding a time change and also didn't receive a reply.

ROOMS: I was given a room in lodge 8. Hallways smelled like mildew. Colleagues said they had mold in their rooms. I can't believe they charged me close to $300 for these rooms. I would think any budget hotel would have nicer rooms.

STAFF: Uneducated about the hotel, golf facilities, and just about everything else. I found them to have no idea how to direct me to the various parts of the hotel. Even the "at your service" concierge via phone gave me incorrect information about my golf experience. I ended up almost missing my tee time.

SERVICE: Horrible. I have stayed all over the world. Would have had much better service at a Ritz for $150/night. Service at pool-side restaurant (Cascades) was extremely slow. They are clearly understaffed. Additionally-- I got locked out of my room FIVE times. The first time I waited for 20 minutes for security to come open my door. Was told someone else would deliver me a key. Never came. The fourth time I got locked out and went through the same routine, i finally got a key that worked. Only issue is that it got turned off again the morning of checkout two hours before my checkout time. So, I had to wait yet again. The one staff member who actually guided me himself to a conference facility took me through a food facility which was clearly for staff members only. I couldn't imagine what his supervisors would think if they knew this.

I complained to Buck Esguerra, one of the managers, and all he offered was a free massage at the spa. I don't know how they justify charging me $1000 for this stay when I would have had a much better and cheaper experience at the Hyatt down the street. I just read other reviews on TripAdisor and realized that everyone else has had a similar experience. Now I understand why they didn't offer me more.

CONFERENCE FACILITIES: Poor. Our conference room was overcrowded. I was on top of the persons next to me. Audio/Visual techs kept getting the wrong slides on the screen.

SAFETY: Whoa. Construction is everywhere. I was walking on nails, glass and metal shards everywhere. Nothing is roped off. The morning of my golf experience I ended up on a construction site (how did I get here??) and a crane was lifting something over my head. DANGEROUS, I should not have been able to even enter this area. I also walked into the lobby that I didn't realize was still under construction, when I heard "get him out of here, the fire marshall is coming!". If you don't want your guests entering your construction sites then YOU MUST ROPE OFF THESE AREAS!

In the end, I'm embarrassed for Donald Trump, and the management. I'm sorry my corporate group chose this location and I'd imagine this is the last time we stay here.

Room Tip: It's only worth it if you get a brand new villa.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
David F, Manager at Trump National Doral Miami, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

I apologize the overall quality of your stay was disappointing. We are in the process of our transformation and sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. I thank you for taking the time to share your experience, your feedback is very important to us.

We sincerely hope that your experience did not entirely tarnish your impression of us and do hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back in the future, to restore your confidence in our resort and brand.

Vice President and Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
Detroit, Michigan, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

Stayed four days at this resort. It was a competition golf trip amongst friends. Stayed at the villa's there. Rooms are exceptional. At the villa, each bedroom had its own private bath room w/shower. If you are the "bigdog" (the one who sets the reservation), the master bedroom has a jetted tube and private balcony over looking the Blue Monster Golf Course (Claim that first). If you play all four golf courses, your clubs are stored in the clubhouse. They will be waiting for you when you're ready to play the next day. You will have to pay a caddie fee when playing the Blue Monster, but its worth it. None for the other courses. While we were there, MAJOR construction was going on to prepare for the upcoming tourney. It didn't interfere with golfing. The "White Course" played harder than the Blue Monster. Maybe cause of the wind.

Make time to hit "Ocean Dr", South Beach. If you're into dinner, dancing, & people watching, this is a must. Across the street from Doral resort is several "Ale" houses. Too many beers on tap to count. Food was good. Basic stuff like wings, burgers, pizza, etc. Heads UP. The gratuity is figured into the price of your meals at the restaurants (don't be shocked). Overall, I had a relaxing fun time with friends. Hated to return to the cold.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay on Trip Advisor. Sounds like you truly enjoyed your recent golf trip. I am pleased to hear that you found our new guest rooms exceptional. All the new décor, furnishings, and amenities were carefully selected to exceed our guests’ expectations.

We appreciate your comments and look forward to welcoming you for another golf trip soon.

Nashville, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

Under construction done in an unsafe fashion with guests present, in middle of unsavory part of Miami with constant aircraft departures overhead, no restaurants except pool cafe open, poor customer service, many rooms horrible, those that are refurbished have décor not consistent with contemporary Miami, grounds are impossible to navigate. Trump should be embarrassed. I travel very frequently for business and this is by far the worst property and service I have ever experienced. If this was on my dime I would be livid. Wait, I am livid anyway. Please avoid this property and spend your money elsewhere.

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. We appreciate you taking the time out to let us know about your stay. I sincerely apologize that your stay was a disappointing one.

Since your visit, we have opened our Main Clubhouse which includes new dining options, a bar lounge, shops, and a state-of-the art fitness facility. Our guest rooms are currently in the process of a full transformation to provide the ultimate in comfort and luxury to exceed all our guest’s expectations.

I hope you will give us another opportunity with a return visit to Trump National Doral Miami.

Vice President and Managing
Miami, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

With the construction ongoing, in order to fill rooms, the facility is attracting the Priceline crowd...The Motel 6 crowd is being accommodated and although their befuddled antics are somewhat humerous...The Walmart trash bags they carry their undies and sundries in are...well...just unsettling.

• Stayed March 2014
David F, Manager at Trump National Doral Miami, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

We sincerely hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

Good 5-star-hotel, staff is friendly, food is excellent, Golf courses are in superb conditions, Golf staff not friendly as they are nagging you as soon as you fall back behind scheduled time on the courses to let the next flight play through. Then you are hanging behind the next slow players and have the 2nd-next flight coming up behind you. The marshalls really should relax more, but they just have too many players there and want to rush everyone over the course, really ruins the experience as you can not enjoy the courses and the landscape. The hotel and the restaurants are excellent with gret service and food provided all over the place...

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us on Trip Advisor. I am pleased that our associates were friendly and that the level of service experienced was exceptional. I have noted your experience while playing golf and will share with our leadership. It is important to us to that our guests not only have fun while playing golf, but also have a memorable experience and enjoy all the new enhancements.

Thank you again for your feedback, and I look forward to welcoming you in the near future.

Regards,
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

This place is horrible. The fact that they are still trying to keep the whole facility open, while doing HUGE construction projects on just about every aspect of the property is outrageous. Charging full price during this time is downright scandalous.

Let's see... where do we start? Rooms? Horrible for most of the rooms. We've heard the new Spa Rooms (you know, the ones they show on the website) are nice. However, for 90% of the rooms, they are worse than most $49/night motels. Mold? Yep, plenty of it. Paint chipping? Got that covered too. Faded and stained carpets? Yes. Construction dust all over the place, making our balcony a health hazard? Got that covered too... Yes, Mr. Trump, you run a tight ship here.

Service? The people are generally very pleasant, sort of like Golden Retrievers. And, in fact, they have the intellect of a Golden. No, I take that back. My Golden was smarter. Seriously, these people are way undertrained and when you ask them a question, rather than just saying "I don't know", they tend to make answers up, sending the guest on a wild goose chase.

The place is under construction. We get that. However, there are things they could do to mitigate the inconvenience on guests. For instance, how about having more frequent shuttle golf carts? Or, even having a decent map of the property explaining the most efficient routes between building and conferences? Also, for the buildings where there is major construction going on right outside people's windows, the hotel should have offered a discounted rate.

What is good? The gym, located temporarily at the Pritiken Longevity Center, is terrific. Lots of cardio and free weights, fresh fruit, water, etc. Seriously, one of the better gyms I've seen at a resort or hotel. Also, the newly-opened pool is very nice, with overstuffed chaise lounges and courteous waitresses. The food was good but really overpriced. I paid $41 for a chicken sandwich and two club sodas. That's a bit high, even for a resort.

All in all, I'd like to see this place when everything is finished but we will not come back here. Anyone booking a conference or block of rooms has a lot more options in the South Florida area that are much more attractive.

Room Tip: Whatever you do, avoid building 7 and 8. If possible, get a room in the Spa area or in one of the r...
Dear Valued Guest,

We appreciate your feedback and sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations. We are in the process of our renovations to ensure that our services and conditions of the resort are vastly upgraded. During our renovations we want to ensure all of our guests have a positive outlook to our future, and ensure that every guest has an enjoyable stay. I sincerely apologize that we fell short of that.

I hope to regain your confidence and welcome you back to Trump National Doral.

Vice President & Managing Director
Miami, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

Stayed here for a meeting and found it to be the most horrific experience. Was not provided a room until 6.5 hours after my arrival, construction everywhere, no hair dryers in the room (but espresso machines are, go figure) and they didn't even clean my room! Trump- you should focus on basic needs before bathrobes and minibars. A clean towel would be a nice place to start...

Room Tip: Try another hotel
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us on Trip Advisor. We sincerely apologize for the troubling experience with the wait you had upon arrival to the hotel. In our renovated Villa rooms, the hair dryer is inside a bag in the drawer of your bathroom vanity.

We hope you will reconsider and give us another opportunity to regain your confidence and welcome you back to Trump National Doral.

Vice President and Managing Director

Been to Trump National Doral Miami? Share your experiences!