“Under Construction!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 6 hotels in Doral
Saint Michael, Minnesota
“Under Construction!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014 via mobile

My first time at a Trump hotel, and the opportunity to stay at Doral had me excited... But that was quickly tempered by this facility still undergoing massive construction! Construction starts before 7 AM and they have undertaken a tremendous amount of projects throughout the property. My only complaint about the room was that the handle to the bathroom came off and had my wife not been traveling with me I would have been stuck!

Several of my colleagues who were also staying on-site were in buildings that did not have heat!

Much of the service is great and the staff is friendly, but if you are looking for breakfast options other than room service you are out of luck... my wife and I decided to extend our stay beyond my business meeting so we sought out breakfast. The only place that was open was in the Spa, and we were directed to a small room. We were not greeted or even spoken to. We had toast, some fruit and dry eggs and then we had someone stop by our table to give us a bill for $60!! Seriously?

I'm sure once everything is done this place will be nice, but buyer beware right now because it is definitely a work in disarray.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
David F, Manager at Trump National Doral Miami, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. Your feedback is very important to us.
Our resort is undergoing major renovations and my apologies for the inconveniences experienced. I thank you for your positive feedback regarding your stay and the overall friendliness of our associates.

I hope you give us an opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future.

980 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
Karpacz, Poland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

Clean rooms and front desk services. Dirty and unorganized indoor pool. First, to even get changed is a task on its own. The spa front desk sends you upstairs to the spa but the spa sends you back saying the pool and spa are separate and you would actually need to pay $15 to go there. After going back down and complaining, they change their mind. So you walk back down and try to find the pool. Not easy. Once you do find it behind the stairs by the entrance, you find it’s not all it should be. I found a few used medical plasters and the whole place a bit run down.

Room Tip: Stay away from the elevator or walk through areas. The door on the rooms is completely not soundpro...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
David F, Manager at Trump National Doral Miami, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of Trump National Doral Miami on Trip Advisor. Your feedback is very important to us. I apologize for the challenges you experienced while visiting our Spa pool. I have shared your feedback with our Spa Management team to ensure that our leaders are assisting our guests and reinforce our goal of offering the most pleasant, relaxing experience at the spa.

I sincerely hope that you give us with the opportunity to welcome you again to restore your faith and regain your confidence in us.

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

Completely under construction. Keep your eye on your belongings, cell phone stolen!
Nice room, but it was one of the only nice rooms. My other work colleagues had tile in their bath falling on them. Hotel service is very nice and food was great.This hotel is very far from Miami. I would not want to go to Doral for any reason and would never go to this hotel ever again.

Room Tip: Email in advance to request one of the new rooms if you have to stay here.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
David F, Manager at Trump National Doral Miami, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review of Trump National Doral Miami on Trip Advisor. Your feedback is very important to us. I appreciate your recognition of the service received from our Associates. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the negative experience you had during your stay with your phone. It is our goal to ensure the safety of our guests and we take such matters very seriously. We would like to speak with you to inquire in detail what transpired. Please call the Executive Office at your convenience.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

Structures and buildings look nice.. especially at website.. looks amazing.
But when you are there.. theres dust everywhere from the construction.
No minibar in room.. No drinking water in room! Its not conveniently located near shops.

Catered meals were same every day.

Staff were friendly and helpful. That counts a lot too.

Too bad.. it was my first visit to Miami... and to a Trump resort. Needs lots and lots of improvement.

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. We are disappointed to hear about the negative experience of your recent stay. Our resort is being transformed through a series of enhancements and I apologize for the inconvenience. I appreciate your recognition of the service received from our Associates.

We hope you give us another opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Snoqualmie, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

We stayed there last week for a corporate event. The part of the hotel that is renovated is beautiful and luxurious. The rest is under construction, so it's hard to review that.

What sets this property apart from most others I've been to is the outstanding service. Every person I encountered who worked for the hotel went above and beyond to make sure our needs were met. This started with the check in process. My husband and I were too early to check in (because I had a meeting to attend) but the staff was helpful and friendly, and accommodated all of our special requests. Then they took our cell number and called us as soon as the room was ready.

Later that day, after my meeting, I wasn't sure how to find the building where our evening reception was being held. I noticed someone in housekeeping working in my villa, so I showed them the map, and asked which building was the right one. Instead of just pointing it out to me, they walked me all the way to the building, to make sure I didn't get lost.

The food we had during our corporate event was very good, and again, the service was top notch.

I would love to come back once the hotel is fully renovated and see how it turns out, but overall we had a positive experience, despite the construction.

Room Tip: Ask for the Gary Player Villa - it's renovated and very nice. Bathrooms are HUGE, large room wit...
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay on Trip Advisor. It gives me great pleasure to read that we provided the best hotel service you have ever seen.

I am pleased to hear of your wonderful experience in our new villa. All the new décor, furnishings, and amenities were carefully selected to exceed our guests expectations. I am glad to hear your service experience was outstanding. Our Associates take pride in providing excellent service to our guests and are genuinely enthusiastic to assist and ensure that all our visitors have a great stay.

Thank you for your positive feedback on the food and service experienced at your corporate event. We appreciate your comments and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

San Leandro, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

Hotel is under construction. A large wedding was checking out as we were checking in. Everyone had to wait for rooms; many of us had travelled internationally and were really tired.

Main lobby is closed. Catered meals lacked variety, imagination, and flavor - sea bass over coconut rice was the only exception. The mango mojito at the pool was also nice.

I am very, very happy to be going home.

My room was nice and always clean - large and bright. No bugs, other than a gnat in a dessert one time.

It might have been better to totally close for the renovation rather than leaving me and others with a not-too-good experience.

I can't see how they can resolve all of this construction disaster by the Masters in March.

Bring an expensive bottle of water from the airport, better than their $5.00 bottle in your room.

Contrary to what every staff member is trained to tell you, there is public transportation - bus $2.25 and Doral Shuttle for free. Google it. Don't trust the staff to tell you. This left me with a very unpleasant feeling. If I can't trust the workers to be honest to a simple question to my face, I feel very uneasy about trusting this establishment with providing my meals. The way you do anything is the way you do everything. In my opinion, this establishment lacks integrity. My opinion of The Donald is unchanged. I imagine that this used to be a nice place to visit.

I really did not like this place. If my company books here again, I will wait and hope that the rooms sell out so that I can stay somewhere else.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
David F, Manager at Trump National Doral Miami, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

I regret to hear of the wait you experienced during check-in. I can understand what a frustration this was after traveling for long hours. We are in the process of our transformation and sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. I’m glad to see you were pleased with your room accommodations and cleanliness. I assure you I will address your comments mentioned with our leadership team to ensure our associates are fully aware of all the transportation options for our guests.

We sincerely hope that your experience did not entirely tarnish your impression of us and do hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back in the future, to restore your confidence in our resort and brand.

San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

If you want to stay in a post apocalyptic facility and pay through the nose for it, you're in luck. This place fits the bill and you won't be disappointed. Only good part is that the vast majority of the staff are super friendly and helpful. I can't imagine how they can maintain good attitudes since they must deal with a constant stream of livid guests who complain about getting ripped off. I've seen better rooms at the Hampton Inn. Getting a decent meal on the property is difficult to impossible since there are only a couple of options that have pretty limited hours and there's only one sports bar within walking distance for food. If they charged ~$80 a night for the room, didn't jack you for room service, comp the $5/bottle for water, lower the price on the limited food you can get ($15+ for a salad, $10 for a beer), comp the $13 unreliable internet access, waive the resort fee (joke!), and give you fair warning when making the reservation that you're going to be staying in a disaster zone, then that would be fair. As it is, you get charged as if the place is functioning at a 5-star level, when it's barely 1-star. Joke.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
David F, Manager at Trump National Doral Miami, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

I apologize the overall quality of your stay was disappointing. We are in the process of our transformation and sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. I thank you for taking the time to share your experience, your feedback is very important to us. I am pleased to hear the best part of your stay was the friendliness and helpfulness of our associates.

I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Vice President & Managing Director

Been to Trump National Doral Miami? Share your experiences!