“Not the best!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 6 hotels in Doral
Barnsley, United Kingdom
“Not the best!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

We booked this hotel back in July for our 3 night stay in November, we were aware that there was some renovations going on and that the Blue Golf course was being redesigned, however we did not find out until nearer our departure date that our choices for playing golf would be reduced further by more renovations. However the opportunity to have the chance to play on one of the most famous courses in the world was too much to resist. We did receive new directions for the entrance before we left home too.
We were assigned a room in lodge 3 on the ground floor overlooking the golf courses, it was spacious clean and well appointed, my only complaints were no fridge and a toilet that didn't always flush. It was a walk from the car park but there was the offer of a buggy if required.
The resort fee of $20 and then $18 to self park is exorbitant, it was meant for wireless internet which was slow and very intermittent. There did not seem to be any option to opt out either so why not add it to the price if the room?
We had booked a golf package and had called to book a tee time but asked in the Pro shop if we could change the day, no problem except that the morning we were due to play there had been torrential rain for 24 hours. We were lucky and managed to change back to our original tee team for the Saturday morning we asked if we could have the complimentary breakfast that same morning. We were directed to the spa then were told to go to an indoor room due to the weather. It had obviously been set up in a hurry, the food was mediocre, lukewarm and to be honest one of the worst meals we had for the whole of our holiday. There were 3 staff none of whom spoke to us as we entered we were meant to advise we were on a golf package but the opportunity was never given to us. When we had finished we were presented with a bill for over $70 including an obligatory service charge of $12!! We said we were on the golf package and were told to put our room number and sign it!!! We crossed out the amount just in case. We returned to our room after a day out and our key cards had both been deactivated so we had to walk back to reception to get that sorted.
The following morning we left our room in order to check out and under the door had been pushed the details of our golf package, a bit late when we had sorted it all out ourselves. The guy on the check in desk just shrugged his shoulder when we commented and said "Oh it must have been an oversight!" Not good enough.
We waited for the transport to take us to The Jim McLean course. It duly arrived and apart from the fact that the doors were closed in our faces once another group had got on the bus our day got better.
The staff at the Jim McLean were very welcoming and helpful we had a great round of golf, the staff in the pro shop were friendly and helpful. And Jose was very accommodating and provided us with some very nice souvenirs.
When the renovations are complete I am sure it will improve the whole experience. ( And probably the price!)

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
George S, General Manager at Trump National Doral Miami, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing the experience of your recent stay with you. I am pleased to hear that you found our rooms to be well appointed and I agree that our rooms are very spacious. We do have a resort fee, which is common, to ensure that our guests have the convenience of all the services we offer without the hassle of many additional or hidden fees.

I am disappointed to hear about the lapse of service you experienced with breakfast and with Front Desk regarding your golf package and have addressed your concerns with both our leaders and their teams. It is our utmost commitment to ensure that our associates are honoring our guests’ requests and providing exceptional service as you experienced in the Pro Shop.

We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to regain your confidence in our resort.

961 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
Miami, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

I strongly advise you find somewhere else to stay,I have stayed at Doral over a dozen times and right now its a disaster zone

Services are few and far between,today I was charged around $100 for a thanksgiving dinner that was an embarrassment,the beef was so undercooked they had to take it away,the buffet quality was so poor it wasnt even fast food standard and they ran out of food,no coffee or tea available no soft drinks,by Doral standards this was a disgrace
The resort is in a state of disarray,staff are disgruntled,and the whole place is totally understaffed ( except car parking) ....where an army of Valet drivers hover to take your car and your money.

The golf courses are in average condition at best,all show a lack of good care no water in ball washes,no towels,weeds growing in clumps on fairways,Blue is closed,Red is closed and none of the other courses are worth what they are charging

Save your money go somewhere else I see the GM has the same BS line for everyone as he tries to keep his job

I have nothing good or positive to say avoid this resort Donald Trump should be ashamed to have his name attached to this over priced dump

Room Tip: Wait until the new lodges are completed and then battle for every dollar you can save they will nick...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
George S, Manager at Trump National Doral Miami, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

I am incredibly disheartened to read the comments of your recent stay with us as well as how it impacted your holiday dinner. Your overall impression of the quality of our food, service, and resort conditions are extremely important to us and would like the opportunity to speak with you directly and not just offer a written apology in return to your feedback.

Please contact me at your earliest convenience via email crosenau@trumphotels.com.

Charlotte Rosenau
Director of Rooms
The_Cart_Toronto
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

Vast majority of amenities are closed. Room on check-in was not available until after 5pm so I was left sitting in the lobby for 4.5 hours. No stores to buy supplies (ie. toothpaste), no indoor resto. Trump should be ashamed. Don't even think about getting any rest here with all the construction going on.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of Trump National Doral. I sincerely apologize that your room was not available upon your arrival. We are fully committed to ensuring that our guests receive the highest levels of service and I can understand what a frustration this must have been for you. I regret that you were not made aware that the Spa Shop located in the lobby offers sundries.

Should you wish to discuss this experience more personally please feel free to contact me directly.

Erlangen, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

The hotel is under renovation (which is not mentation on Website anywhere). Very loud. Breakfast horrible (food from supermarket wrapped in plastic). Staff unfriendly and very slow. Golf was quite good even some of the golf course are under renovation. As long as renovation is going on do NOT stay at the hotel. Rooms are also quite old and run down. Looks like they are running this whole place very very cheaply (including the hired staff).
I hope Trump is doing a complete overhaul of the hotel. Then this will be a very good place.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
George S, General Manager at Trump National Doral Miami, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

We appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience with us. I regret to hear that your overall experience was less than ideal. We are in the process of transforming our resort and my apologies for the inconveniences you experienced due to our renovations. I am pleased to hear that you were able to enjoy yourself in our championship golf courses.

I do hope to regain your confidence and welcome you back to Trump National Doral in the future. Should you wish to discuss this with me more personally, please contact me directly.

Miami
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

They placed me in the wrong room, even after asking to recepcionist, massive renovations, with unclear messages in website. Like they offer in room dining but there is no room service at night! If you dont eat vegetarian or burgers by the pool, then there are no food options for you!!! With lots of constructions shuttles around facilities run slow (like 10/15 minutes wait). I would put more shuttles because of so many inconveniencies. They charge resort fee while there is barely a resort left now.... Maid broke into my room without knocking. Got a complimentary upgrade to a very nice spa suite after all this. Spa services (half hour delay) were wonderful while spa needs some renovatiom. All this in one day!! This was my forth visit, and last

Room Tip: Wait until renovations are over!!! They struggle to manage the transicion
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing feedback of your recent stay at Trump National Doral Miami.

I am pleased to hear that this was your fourth visit with us, and I sincerely apologize that your overall experience was disappointing. I regret that we did not provide the level of service expected and apologize for the inconveniences experienced due of our renovations.
I hope you will reconsider and give us another opportunity to turn around your experience and see all the wonderful upgraded recreational facilities, amenities and restaurant soon to come.

Zephyrhills, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

We booked through Priceline. Not a bad value, but make sure to add $20 to the cost per night as there is a "resort" fee. Oh, there is also an $18 DAILY self-parking fee, so an extra $38 per day. I have absolutely no idea what the point of these fees are. There is nothing to enjoy at the resort because it is completely under construction. We were also unable to park anywhere near our room and had to be shuttled to and from the parking lot, which was a total hassle.

The room was fine. Nothing luxurious about it. I didn't see any bugs as mentioned in the previous reviews so that was nice. There were holes in the shower wall and I could see the insulation through it. The elevator was disgusting. You'll see what I mean. The staff was nice. We had to call 3 times on check out day to ask for help with our luggage and a shuttle. No one ever came. An hour later we managed our own luggage and were prepared to walk a mile to the parking lot because we were just over it.

If you plan to stay at this resort to enjoy the amenities and "all it has to offer" you can forget it. Everything is under construction. If you plan to stay here just for the room like we were then it is also pointless because you have to pay an additional $38 per day for nothing really.

Bottom line: Not worth it. Stay at the Holiday Inn if all you need is a room.

• Stayed November 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I regret to hear that your overall experience with us was less than ideal. We are in the process of our transformation to deliver the unrivaled luxury experience with our expansive rooms and flawless service that The Trump Hotel Collection represents.

We do hope to regain your confidence and welcome you back to Trump National Doral in the future. Should you wish to discuss this with me more personally, please contact me directly.

Sincerely
Managing Director
Miami, FL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

I am coming to the end of my recent trip to this hotel and the best advice I can give is to give this place some time before considering booking a stay here. I am a Miami native and as such I have spent time in many of the wonderful hotels Miami has to offer. I even stayed at this hotel back in 2007 after I got married back when it was the Marriott and was blown away by the view, the food, the people, and everything else this hotel had to offer. We were having renovations done on our home and so I booked my stay through Priceline and got my bid of $70 per night accepted for 11/22/13-11/24/23 which was a great deal considering regular price is $200+ per night!

The good:

If you don't really care about the accommodations a hotel has to offer and really just need a place to rest your head while you take care of business during your trip then staying here would be fine for you. The beds are comfortable, the room is clean, and the overall hotel is very quiet at night. I never had issues with hearing other guests in the hallways or through the walls which is great if you're trying to catch up on your beauty sleep.

The bad:

This hotel charges for EVERYTHING! I wouldn't normally mind being nickel and dimed if I were staying in a 4-star hotel and actually getting a 4-star stay! With that being said, similar to other reviews this hotel is under construction, which definitely hinders how you will perceive your stay. Once checked in I was advised that my credit card would be charged a $20 resort fee per night per room. In addition, you are charge $18 per day to SELF PARK your car. I didn't even ask how much valet parking cost! The hotel advised that the $20 resort fee includes unlimited access to the driving range, local phone calls, and wireless internet. Like I said I wouldn't usually mind the extra fees, but due to the hotels construction the only restaurant open is the one in the spa, the Blue Lagoon pool is closed and is currently being renovated, during the day it gets really noisy due to the construction, and when you arrive for check in you will have to drive to a temporary location and be shuttled on a golf cart with your luggage all the way to your room half way across the resort.

Pick and choose wisely. There are pictures posted of the current state of this hotel during the construction. If this is your first trip to Miami I wouldn't want your stay to be affected by staying at this hotel. On the other hand I do strongly believe that once construction has been completed this will indeed be a beautiful resort that has a lot to offer. With that being said, call first before booking!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for you for taking the time to provide us with feedback from your recent stay. I am pleased to hear of your return visit, and that you celebrated your wedding at the resort.

I am delighted to hear your overall experience with you guest room was a pleasant and comfortable one. In regards to our fees, we do have a resort fee, which is common, to ensure that our guests have the convenience of all the services we offer without the hassle of many additional or hidden fees. We are also in the process of our renovations to ensure that our services and conditions of the resort are vastly upgraded.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Trump National to experience the evolution of this iconic resort.

George Sotelo

Been to Trump National Doral Miami? Share your experiences!