“Great customer service, but...” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Signature Golf Package
Ranked #5 of 6 hotels in Doral
Burlington, NJ
“Great customer service, but...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

I came here for a conference in October. It was a little overwhelming at first, after check-in they had a shuttle take me to my lodge, which was quite a distance away. I didn't like the fact that I couldn't just walk to my room and back. The hotel check-in process was speedy and very professional, which I appreciated.

That first night, however, an incident happened that ruined my whole experience at this place. I had gone out to pick up some dinner and brought it back to my room, like I do at most hotels that I'm in when I travel. After eating, I dropped a pen on the floor and bent down to pick it up. I then came face to face with the biggest roach I've ever seen indoors. It's very important that I differentiate: this is an American Cockroach, not the German Cockroach, so they aren't the same nasty infestation bugs that people think of in big cities - nonetheless, it was repulsive, huge, and freaked me out. They said it probably happened because I had brought food into the room (how would I have known not to do this??).

The hotel did a good job managing this situation - after I called the front desk, they sent a bellman over to remove it, and moved me up to the third floor. The bellman was a little too casual with it for my liking (he stomped on it and then kicked it out of the room). Obviously he has dealt with this before.

I have spoken with several people about this, and from what I understand this sometimes "just happens" in Florida but I haven't really had any incidents like this before in any of the places I've stayed in Florida. From then on, I spent 3 nights sleeping with the tub and sink drains stopped up and left a light on overnight, meaning I didn't sleep really well. To be fair, I saw absolutely nothing on the third floor, but the first floor incident and the mere suggestion that another one could be in the building was enough to leave me very uncomfortable in this hotel.

The manager called me to make sure I was ok, which I appreciated. However, unless he was going to sit in my room and watch for roaches while I slept, nothing was really going to make me comfortable again. Being from New Jersey, I've never seen anything like this before and it was definitely the stuff of nightmares!

There were other issues regarding this hotel. It's under massive construction, which I can handle, but it does mean there are limited services available. It's expected to be complete in February 2014, so until then it's not the greatest view of the property. One night the wifi decided to argue with all of my devices, and I couldn't get online for the whole evening. Many other conference attendees were really frustrated about this. I also couldn't stand the fact that I was so far away from the parking lot. I did start walking around the property more, as I hate calling for a "shuttle" (bellman in a golf cart) to transport me around like I'm some kind of royal or something. It felt like it limited my freedom a bit, and I don't like that feeling. The TV connection also was grainy and full of static.

One thing I must commend this resort on is their customer service. The employees were very friendly, professional, and incredibly helpful. They answer the phone quickly and seem to be very interested in helping you out. The callback from the manager after the roach incident was appreciated. I think they have a great staff, but they are dealing with a lot of things that are simply outside of the employees' control and they're doing the best with what they have. Also, I think the bed was really comfortable. I just wish I was able to sleep peacefully with the lights off. The air conditioning worked like a charm and the room design was very nice. The property was incredibly beautiful (outside of the half of it that's under construction) and if I liked golf at all I probably would have really enjoyed this place.

As far as a hotel/resort is concerned, however, I wouldn't recommend this experience to anyone who isn't used to dealing with roaches (especially those that are about 1.5 inches or more in size). I doubt I would be back to this place, unfortunately.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
George S, General Manager at Trump National Doral Miami, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Dear Valued Guest;

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay with us this month. I appreciate your review regarding our customer service; our associates are genuinely enthusiastic to assist our guests and ensuring that our visitors have a great stay.

I'd like to personally apologize for the discomfort you encountered in your room. It should be your own private sanctuary and not a source of stress. There is no reason as to why you should have found a bug in your room, and I assure you that we do not have a pest issue in our Resort and that this incident was taken care of. We have regular pest control maintenance to proactively assist in insects being repelled. In regards to the shuttle, my apologies that your experience was less than ideal.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to our Resort to regain your confidence in us.

1,006 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
Budapest, Hungary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

We spend ten days here in Sept and October, playing golf. The golf package and the golf service were excellent, the hotel is Ok, except the breakfast which was terrible, the worst I have ever had in a hotel....very unhealthy and poor, the only choise was white bread, eggs and bacon, no cheese, no ham, no vegetables, no tomatoes or full corn bread, nothing only unhealthy bacon and very poor quality coffe. No cappuccino or latte machiato or green tea. Being there on the wonderful golf courses was excellent but we missed the healthy food and the quality coffe very very much...

Room Tip: We had an excellent room at the front in building 4 with an amezing view to the Blue Monster golf co...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest;

Thank you again for taking the time to review you stay with us. I am pleased to hear about your great experience while enjoying our wonderful golf courses. Our golf associates are enthusiastic about the sport, they take pride and enjoy assisting our guests and ensuring that they have the best experience.
I am sorry to hear about your disappointment during breakfast. I have shared your feedback with our Food & Beverage leaders to improve our current available options.

I look forward to welcoming you back, not only to enjoy our golf courses but to visit our upcoming enhanced recreational facilities and restaurants.

Sincerely;

Highland Village, Texas, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Staying here for a conference - absolutely limited to NO service or amenities available. No room service after 11 AM and NO food available - ANYWHERE ON THE RESORT - after 9 p.m. Just a ridiculous bunch of inconveniences that would not be expected at a Trump resort. The conference attendees represent a large portion of Fortune 100 companies and all feel the same - what a terrible impression to leave with what could have been future guests. And, really? Port-a-potties are all that's available on a Doral golf course?!?

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest;

Thank you for taking the time to provide honest feedback from your recent stay here. I sincerely apologize that your overall stay did not meet the expectations of the brand. We are currently transforming every aspect of our Resort through a series of enhancements to our rooms, restaurants and recreational facilities. I hope to welcome you back in the future to regain your confidence in us.

Sincerely;

Copenhagen, Denmark
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I was here for a conference in September. When the conference was booked a few years ago, there is no way anyone could have known that the hotel would be undergoing a major renovation at the actual time of the conference. The conference facilities were unaffected though, and the conference facilities are fine, the food and service were also good in the conference area, thankfully.

Having said that, though, there is almost nothing else to recommend the hotel until renovations are complete. There is only one restaurant serving lunch and dinner (outside only by the spa pool). Breakfast is being served at ridiculously high prices in a ridiculously small room where some people were forced to eat their breakfast sitting on a couch. Only one pool is open and it is quite small and not in a particularly good state of repair. Two of the golf courses were closed for repairs. I was a bit suprised by the condition of the resort--it had really fallen on hard times apparently and desperately needed renovation--so I completely understand them doing it--I just wished I could have stayed somewhere else.

The staff try really hard in difficult circumtances. I found the employees at the front desk/bell stand very attentive and friendly and another person that stood out was the guy in brand-new fitness center (this has been completed and is quite nice), who helped explain to me how the power plate worked. I have no doubt this will be a great place once renovations are complete.

The location is close to the airport, but about 30 minutes away from the beach, so it is best to have a car if you want to get around the area easily. For an alternative to sitting outside by the pool for dinner (and it rains a lot in Miami in September), the Carolina Ale House is within walking distance, and also seems to be a local hotspot.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
George S, General Manager at Trump National Doral Miami, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Dear Valued Guest;

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay in September while on a conference in our Resort. I am pleased to hear that our Associates were attentive and friendly, and that you were able to visit and enjoy our brand new state of the art fitness center. In regards to our enhancements, my apologies if they hindered your overall experience with us. I look forward to welcoming you back to our Resort whether on business or pleasure to experience our vastly upgraded facilities and amenities that in the months to come will transform our Resort.

Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

Booked in to this hotel 'greeted' (that is a generous term) by rather bored and non-interested reception, was given a room that was not what we had booked, no offer to help with bags, no information on how to get to the room or access parking, when returned to enquire about the room they had known that we were not given the correct room as had overbooked, assume they hoped we would not notice. We were offered a restaurant credit for the inconvenience by the duty manager, but were annoyed that they had not acknowledged this upfront. Had a few questions and asked these of the 3 girls positioned around reception but they did not seem to have any knowledge of the resort or golf options etc, (they talked to each other for awhile then to another attendant then finally came back to me to say they did not know how I could book a gym class). Not sure what their purpose was if they were not knowledgeable about the resort they represented. Found the majority of staff to be vague and lacking customer service skills, (exception was a few of the golf attendants) perhaps they were all new as Trump had recently taken over the resort. Booked a spa and again the staff there were not receptive- handed me a menu and could not expand on any of the treatments.
Having said all that, the room itself was lovely, very generous in size, but looked onto the road and hotel was undergoing construction so parking was a pain. Golf courses are great.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest;

Thank you for your feedback on your stay with us. I would like to personally apologize for the lapses in service during your stay with us. We want our guests to be greeted with attentive service and genuine hospitality upon arrival, and I am sorry you did not experience that. Our guest satisfaction is very important to us, as our Manager on Duty intended to correct by offering a restaurant credit.

We take our guests feedback seriously and have addressed with our staff your experience; I assure you our associates take great pride and responsibility in the service we provide.
I hope to regain your confidence and welcome you back to visit our enhanced Golf Courses in the future.

Regards,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

I spent one night at Trump National and had a pleasing stay. It took the cab driver three attempts to get to the correct entrance but we finally made it to the spa entrance and I was shuttled to my room. I believe once construction is completed the resort will be where it should be. The rooms are quite elegant but there was no shower cap which is a necessity for me. The staff were efficient and assured that by the time I checked out the cab was already waiting.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
George S, General Manager at Trump National Doral Miami, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear Valued Guest;

I am glad to hear about your pleasant stay with us and thank you for taking the time to write a review. I agree with you that we have spacious and elegant rooms and happy to hear that our associates were efficient in ensuring that there was a cab already waiting for you at the time of your departure.

I apologize for the inconvenience of not finding a shower cap in your bathroom upon arrival; I have communicated this with our Housekeeping Leaders to ensure that we this available in your room for your next visit.

I look forward to welcoming you back to our Resort whether on business or pleasure.

Abbeville, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Yes, the facility was difficult due to "enhancements." I stayed here because of the location and the price ($74+/night in October). The rooms were average. I found that I'm not a "resort" kind of a girl...didn't like having to give my name to drive onto the property or be driven to and from my lodge in a golf cart. Walking would have been possible. There is a charge to park: but again, I assume part of the resort thing that I'm not used to. Because of the "enhancements" my daughter was not able to hit at the driving range and consequently they comped me my resort fee. Kudos to them for this. I probably won't stay here again because once it's finished I figure it will only further rub me the wrong way with the resort stuff. Even though I enjoy travel and don't do it on the cheap, I guess I'm an anti-snob. :-(

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest;

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to share your experience during your recent stay. I apologize for the inconvenience of our Driving Range closure due to enhancements, the resort proudly boasts three other championship golf courses which inspire and reward players of every ability. The legendary Great White Course, designed by golf legend Greg Norman. Our guests can also challenge their golf skills on our Jim McLean Signature and Championship Gold Course, all open for play. While I can understand that Resort amenities might not fit everyone’s lifestyle, we thank you for staying with us this time around.

Trump Hotel Collection has other locations in New York, Chicago, Las Vegas, Panama, Toronto, Waikiki, with two new opening in Washington, D.C and Vancouver. No two hotels are alike, each renowned for its location and architecture sure to fit your likes in your future travels.

Managing Director

Been to Trump National Doral Miami? Share your experiences!