“A Big Spread” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Doral
Yuma, Arizona
“A Big Spread”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

The first thing I noticed was the size of this resort, multiple facilities spread on beautiful well maintained grounds. Due to ongoing renovations at this time I can't give this a 5 star.

This was a one night stay for us so most important was our room. We were really happy with our room which was relaxing and cool. The staff was super from start to finish, very professional and well trained.

It is obvious this is going to be a golfers paradise with a super course right outside your door. The pool area was very nice with live entertainment even during the hot afternoon.

Good luck Mr.Trump on your final product.

Room Tip: If your a swimmer and golfer get a room in one of the facilities close to the pool.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
George S, General Manager at Trump National Doral Miami, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

I want to thank you for taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us. I am happy to hear that your stay at the resort was a pleasant one and that our staff was helpful and friendly. We are glad that you enjoyed the live entertainment by the pool. The Trump Hotel Collection™ acquired Doral Golf Resort & Spa Miami earlier in June and is investing over $200M to transform our legendary resort. In the months to come, every aspect of Doral will be transformed, from a fresh, new design vision throughout our guest rooms and public spaces to vastly upgraded recreational facilities and amenities.

Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
Road Town, Tortola
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

This is the slightly shortened email sent to Trump National - who have failed to even acknowledge receipt of my email let alone offer a response. I have attached some pictures of our stay too:

Whilst we could not fault the friendly and helpful staff the resort itself was extremely disappointing. My husband and I booked to stay at the resort as a treat as part of our annual Miami trip, and whilst we were under no illusions that the resort was under renovation we were surprised at the extent to which facilities and the beauty of the resort are affected. The prospect of being able to play golf on four or five courses was a huge draw and perhaps the main reason for us booking the stay.

We stayed between 2 August and 6 of August. During this time my husband was only able to play on two of the courses, so instead of being able to experience multiple courses he played they same. This was particularly irritating when we discovered that he had been booked on the Jim Mclean course on the Monday, when it was closed for the entire week. Presumably staff would have known this in advance of booking the Tee time and it would have made sense for him to be booked on the Jim McLean course on the Saturday or Sunday when it was actually open?! This was greatly disappointing and in the end he cancelled his last round of golf (which was included in our Golf Package). He decided to go and play somewhere else.

Added to the general disappointment about the golf was the complete lack of places to eat in the resort. We had booked a resort break thinking we would not have to leave for four days and we could golf and spa our way through the trip. Sadly this was not the case. For lunch we only had the choice of slightly moist yet stale Starbucks sandwiches, or eating repeatedly at the Cascades Pool Bar restaurant. By the time golf was finished the spa restaurant was always finished for lunch. Similarly in the evenings there were only two restaurants, and the steak house was closed on Sunday! We ended up spending money on taxis rather than eating the same food repeatedly, it was not the luxury break we had envisioned for ourselves.

We stayed in Lodge Two, which was comfortable except for the fact our balcony view overlooked the golf course under reconstruction! Not only an ugly view, but it meant we could not sit on the balcony for the constant drone of construction. Hardly relaxing. The main pool construction should not be so exposed, it is the first thing we saw when we entered the resort and every time we walked anywhere. It is ugly, noisy and certainly not in keeping with what I would term a discreet renovation project.

In short we felt we stayed in a very ugly and expensive building site for four days. I noted that we were still charged full resort fees and taxes to our bill, despite the fact, in my view that not even half of the resort was actually available to us. I paid these without complaint as by the end we just couldn't wait to leave and go to the next part of our holiday.

Dear Valued Guest,

I thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us .I am sorry to hear that our service levels did not meet your expectations. I agree with you that our rooms are very comfortable. Trump Hotel Collection™ acquired Doral Golf Resort & Spa Miami earlier in June and is investing over $200M to transform our legendary resort. Trump Hotel Collection delivers an unrivaled luxury experience with expansive rooms, lavish spa and fitness facilities, and flawless service. In the months to come, every aspect of Doral will be transformed, from a fresh, new design vision throughout our guest rooms and public spaces to vastly upgraded recreational facilities and amenities.

Miami, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I should have checked before I made the reservation, since I live in South Florida. But I wanted to celebrate my wedding anniversary with my wife and be able to have a few drinks at a nice restaurant, and enjoy the pool.

So we booked the room and golf package and looked forward a couple relaxing days.

The first tip off was when we turned int the entrance the "guard" said have you been here before (every employee asked me the same question. Then he said the temporary entrace is over there and waved in the general direction of west. He said here is a map and you need to go there.

So we go and find that the entrance is really the Pritikin Spa building. When I walk in and am checking in I ask what restaurants are open and is the big pool open. No, they say, everything is closed.

There is small grill open and the restaurant at the Pritikin center (more on that later). The atmosphere got very tense, the the manager at the reception area got very snippy. Yes we have two pools and two restaurants. Yes they do. They have a crappy pool (will try to attached pictures, that was built in the 50s it appears or has been horribly maintained). It is seriously ugly. The two restaurants are very limited menu and really geared toward either eating at the bar or a healthy lifestyle. Neither were what we wanted or looked forward. I guess this is an every day experience for them dealing with very upset people as the ladies at the counter tried to be pleasant and tried to put the best face on it as they could. But really Trump, this is what you got your name on? And to put those poor employees in the line of fine, just to get some temporary cash flow while the whole place is closed? Really, you need that?

Now the really bad part. I SPECIFICALLY ASKED IF THE POOL AND RESTAURANT WE OPEN WHEN I MADE THE RESERVATION. In retrospect I see how the agent was very careful in picking his words. I specifically asked if some of the good restaurants are still open, and I was told they were.

So on the the room, which was ok, the maid left us a can of odor killer, not sure what that was about. I had figured that we would be in the lodges which need a refresh pretty bad, but I was expecting this. They are large rooms. TV was not HD which was a waste of a flatscreen. Wifi barely reached the room.

So now to the pool to have a glass of wine and try to put the best face on it. Sat there for 30 minutes trying to get the attention of the two waiters, finally got up and walked over to them. They were too busy taking care of a few groups with some very attractive young ladies. As previously mentioned the pool is in poor shape and combined with the service, the whole thing really just does not deserve the Trump name. The other curious thing was that none of the people in the pool were staying at the resort, so where did they come from?

Breakfast was ok, really excellent service, probably chatted up the other guests. Not alot of smiling faces and interesting, not one single person from the pool yesterday.

The golf part of the package was very good. The Silver course is in pretty good shape, greens still a little rough though. The staff at the course are just the best people, we really enjoy them and they provide excellent service. The 19th hole at the course is really nice as well.

At the end of the day, once you get over being lied to and can accept what you are getting is a room, thats it, and some nice golf, it can be ok, just don't expect a nice pool experience or restaurants or anything that would speak of the resort experience. Also was not nice having to go off property in the night for a nice dinner, but there are some great restaurants in Doral, which will be the subject of my next review.

Dear Valued Guest,

I thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the golf package and that our staff was helpful and friendly The Trump Hotel Collection™ acquired Doral Golf Resort & Spa Miami earlier in June and is investing over $200M to transform our legendary resort. Trump Hotel Collection delivers an unrivaled luxury experience with expansive rooms, lavish spa and fitness facilities, and flawless service. In the months to come, every aspect of Doral will be transformed, from a fresh, new design vision throughout our guest rooms and public spaces to vastly upgraded recreational facilities and amenities.

New Port Richey, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

Major renovations on the main hotel and limited staffing-and no coordination between staffs made for waiting and waiting and waiting. The maze of gates that DON'T WORK, shuttles that don't arrive "in 5 minutes", The golf courses we played on were beautiful and the golf staff were helpful and timely. We paid $27 a day for "valet" parking and 2 out of 3 times, we had to get our own car. I feel that we were definitely overcharged.

Room Tip: We did have a spacious king size room in Lodge 2 facing the Cascades area. Lots of noise during &quo...
Dear Valued Guest,

I want to thank you for taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us. I am happy to hear that our staff was helpful and friendly. I agree that we have beautiful golf courses. The Trump Hotel Collection™ acquired Doral Golf Resort & Spa Miami earlier in June and is investing over $200M to transform our legendary resort. In the months to come, every aspect of Doral will be transformed, from a fresh, new design vision throughout our guest rooms and public spaces to vastly upgraded recreational facilities and amenities.

Lagos
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

I stayed over with my hubby for 6 nights in January. The atmosphere was very relaxing and the food at the monster bar was fantastic. Breakfast was a delight. The staff were very helpful and really nice. The spar was also fantastic. The room was spacious but on a downside there was no bathtub

All together, it was a good experience

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

I want to thank you for taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us. I am happy to hear that your stay at the resort was a pleasant one and that our staff was helpful and friendly. I agree that our rooms are very spacious. The Trump Hotel Collection™ acquired Doral Golf Resort & Spa Miami earlier in June and is investing over $200M to transform our legendary resort. In the months to come, every aspect of Doral will be transformed, from a fresh, new design vision throughout our guest rooms and public spaces to vastly upgraded recreational facilities and amenities.

Prospect
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Undergoing construction and they still decided to stay open. To me not a good thing. Room service only for breakfast. One pool open and thats the spa pool. Not much as in food to get. I felt like if your going to do that much construction then you need to close the hotel down and fix it all at once. Even part of golf course was closed. We asked for king size bed they put us in a room with two full for the first night then we had to move to get our king size room the next day. Very poor planning

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

I thank you for choosing to stay at Doral Golf Resort & Spa and for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay. I am sorry to hear that our service levels did not meet your expectations. I will be personally addressing the issues you had regarding your request for a king size bed. The Trump Hotel Collection™ acquired Doral Golf Resort & Spa Miami earlier in June and is investing over $200M to transform our legendary resort. Trump Hotel Collection delivers an unrivaled luxury experience with expansive rooms, lavish spa and fitness facilities, and flawless service. In the months to come, every aspect of Doral will be transformed, from a fresh, new design vision throughout our guest rooms and public spaces to vastly upgraded recreational facilities and amenities.

I hope to regain your confidence and welcome you back to Doral Resort soon.

Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I would suggest waiting until renovations are complete to received a "true" Trump experience. If you are having a conference, plan ahead for transporting attendees to and from lodges and conference rooms. Lots of walking and very few carts available to transport. During rainy season, travel with a flashlight, as power may go out.

Room Tip: If driving pick a lodge close to parking areas. There currently is no waiting area in front of lodg...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

I thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. The Trump Hotel Collection™ acquired Doral Golf Resort & Spa Miami earlier in June and is investing over $200M to transform our legendary resort. Trump Hotel Collection delivers an unrivaled luxury experience with expansive rooms, lavish spa and fitness facilities, and flawless service. In the months to come, every aspect of Doral will be transformed, from a fresh, new design vision throughout our guest rooms and public spaces to vastly upgraded recreational facilities and amenities.

Managing Director

Been to Trump National Doral Miami? Share your experiences!