“Nice, but rude staff” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Doral
Tampa, Florida
“Nice, but rude staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for three nights while he visited me in Miami. After reading reviews, we were a little scared. The rooms were outdated, but clean and spacious. We left a note for the maid to leave us an extra towel and a " do not disturb " door hanger. She took the tip that with the note, but didn't leave us either requested item. Two of the three mornings we were there, tons of noise came through the walls and hallways from construction going on. VERY annoying when the work I was doing had me up till 2 am every night....to be woken up at 8 am sucked!!
The parking lots were all torn up and small-big bummer when you had to pay to park yourself. And our room key never worked for letting us out. We had to use the call button every time. The staff answering were short and rude.
The pools were beautiful, though we didn't use them. As well as the golf course and driving range. I did get to use the range and putting green and enjoyed it very much.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
George S, General Manager at Trump National Doral Miami, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to share your experience. I am disheartened to hear about your experience and have addressed your concerns with both our Valet and Housekeeping Department leaders and their teams. It is our utmost commitment to ensure that our associates are honoring our guests requests and providing exceptional service. We hope to regain your confidence and welcome you back to Doral Resort, to allow you to see that we have a team of service professionals which take your unfortunate experience to heart, and have sincere desire to regain your faith in our commitment to quality. In regards to your experience with our resorts enhancements occurring, in the months to come every aspect of Doral will be transformed, from a fresh, new design vision throughout our guest rooms and public spaces to vastly upgraded recreational facilities and amenities. I apologize that any aspect of this hindered your overall experience with us.

Should you wish to discuss this with me personally, please contact me directly.

Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Wonderful stay with friends and family during the Easter/Passover holiday.

Lots of trained professional staff
Nice grounds
Large rooms
Very clean
Concierge was especially helpful making a birthday and anniversary just perfect

Room Tip: The corner rooms are larger
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

I thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am happy to hear that you had a pleasant stay at the resort. The Trump Hotel Collection™ acquired Doral Golf Resort & Spa Miami earlier in June and is investing over $200M to transform our legendary resort. Trump Hotel Collection delivers an unrivaled luxury experience with expansive rooms, lavish spa and fitness facilities, and flawless service. In the months to come, every aspect of Doral will be transformed, from a fresh, new design vision throughout our guest rooms and public spaces to vastly upgraded recreational facilities and amenities.

Turin, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

If you go to the Doral, 95% of the times it's because you want to play golf. And that's perfect for it.
Its 4 courses are a dream for any golfer, from pro to amateur.
If you are part of the 5% going there for business, as I was, it's a bit less than perfect. Still very comfy and with excellent service, it has rooms that would not mind being refurbished, with rather basic bathroom.
During my stay, they were preparing for the PGA event and there were works for cleaning roofs and preparing stands that wee quite noisy and bothersome.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

I thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am happy to hear that our staff was helpful. The Trump Hotel Collection™ acquired Doral Golf Resort & Spa Miami earlier in June and is investing over $200M to transform our legendary resort. Trump Hotel Collection delivers an unrivaled luxury experience with expansive rooms, lavish spa and fitness facilities, and flawless service. In the months to come, every aspect of Doral will be transformed, from a fresh, new design vision throughout our guest rooms and public spaces to vastly upgraded recreational facilities and amenities.

Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

Right from the moment we checked in, the lack or organization was apparent. First our itinerary was incorrect. We had purchased the golf and spa package which allows one game of golf or one spa service per person per night. On our list it had said that one of my husbands golf was not included and therefore wood be billed and only one of my services was listed. There was also an incorrect tee time down. When we asked when this form was prepared, the girl said it is done every morning. We were able to correct this but it was just a glimpse of problems to come. My experience with the check in at the spa was even more confusing. First they couldn't find me in the computer. They then realized it was under my husbands name. They explained to me that the service was included in the package but that gratuities were not. They supposedly were billed to the room. This was day 1 of the spa. Day 2 was even worse. Again a different staff could not find me in the computer. I suggested she look under my husbands name. There it was once again. Then she asked me how I would want to pay to which I replied that I didn't since it was part of the package. I checked in an hour before the service to relax. At 10 mins after my scheduled service I inquired about what was happening. I was then told that they couldn't find or reach the person who was supposed to do my massage. They then asked I I could reschedule for 2 hours later which I could not since we had to leave for the airport by then. So my spa experience consisted taking a shower at the spa! The best was at checkout where we were charged for the first spa treatment. After some discussion the bill was fixed and even more was credited. But this does not make me want to return.
I

• Stayed March 2013
George S, General Manager at Trump National Doral Miami, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

I thank you for choosing to stay at Doral Golf Resort & Spa and for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay. I am sorry to hear that our service levels did not meet your expectations and I will be personally addressing the issues you had with our Golf and Front Desk Staff.The Trump Hotel Collection™ acquired Doral Golf Resort & Spa Miami earlier in June and is investing over $200M to transform our legendary resort. Trump Hotel Collection delivers an unrivaled luxury experience with expansive rooms, lavish spa and fitness facilities, and flawless service. In the months to come, every aspect of Doral will be transformed, from a fresh, new design vision throughout our guest rooms and public spaces to vastly upgraded recreational facilities and amenities.

Kansas City, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

The Doral Golf Resort and Spa has very nicely maintained grounds, the BEST staff around but......first off, it's impossible to find! It's not clearly marked from the road at all & you can't find it using GPS. However, once we found it and got checked in, we were happy with our room. It is older as it's in the process of being refurbished and you can tell the furnishings must be from the 70's although they are nicely maintained.

You do have to pay for parking $18 per day for self parking or $27 for valet parking. You can choose to have the parking connected to your guest card so you can swipe in and out multiple times. However, it seems to me for parking for $18/day the lots would be significantly closer to the rooms and a little bit better maintained.

The other disappointment was a $20 resort fee that covered things like local calls, wireless internet (didn't work), in room coffee, shuttle to the beaches, etc. All of these are normally covered by other hotels so that was a cheap way to recoup some of their renovation expenses that are ongoing I believe. Okay, but not worth the money.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

I thank you for taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us. I am happy to hear that our staff was helpful and friendly.The Trump Hotel Collection™ acquired Doral Golf Resort & Spa Miami earlier in June and is investing over $200M to transform our legendary resort. Trump Hotel Collection delivers an unrivaled luxury experience with expansive rooms, lavish spa and fitness facilities, and flawless service. In the months to come, every aspect of Doral will be transformed, from a fresh, new design vision throughout our guest rooms and public spaces to vastly upgraded recreational facilities and amenities.

Princeton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I missed a flight and thus had to stay over in Miami overnight before taking the morning flight so was in a desperate need for a hotel for the 8 odd hours I had. Now hotels all over Miami are exbortitantly expensive and so are the ones close to the airport which is weird as those are not meant for tourists but for people transiting but due to the popularity that Miami enjoys, the hotels close to the airport enjoy the same advantage of jacking up their prices like their counterparts close to the beach / downtown Miami.

So, as usual, for scnearios like these, i went to Priceline's bidding engine, put 80 bucks as my bidding price and there you go, perfecto, got this hotel in $100 all inclusive. Now remember the area i had put in my bid was airport and got this hotel which is closeby but doesnt provides a shuttle and thus you are forced to take a taxi which is a hefty 25$ (somethign you dont want to shell especially when you know u'll be staying only for few hours). Anyways, i reach the hotel and am apprised of another shock, a $20 resort fee which I have to pay even though am there for 6 hours. So, i pay the fee and am provided with directions to my cottage.

Forgot to mention, but the entrance to the hotel is pretty dramatic, what with a grand entrance, big driveway, wonderful waterfalls, lush gardens and so much more. The hotel being a resort has different blocks with different style of rooms. The hotel has several golf courses too and the first major PGA masters tournament in Florida was held at this hotel.

The room is a standard, and every block has a nice lobby area to relax and unwind as well. The hotel has a large pool which i obviously coudnt explore more since i was there only for few hours. The night i was there, the hotel had an open salsa night and considering the latino population Miami has, there sure were some great dancers so a beer turned out to be an elongated theatrical experience.

So if you are into golf and are visiting Miami during PGA tournament, you would want to be in this place without doubts but if a) you are transiting, or b) are in Miami for business or c) visiting Miami for its beaches, this certainly is not a place.

Room Tip: Take a room overlooking one of the golf courses and ask the hotel guys to drive you up there in a go...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dear Valued Guest,

I thank you for taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us. The Trump Hotel Collection™ acquired Doral Golf Resort & Spa Miami earlier in June and is investing over $200M to transform our legendary resort. Trump Hotel Collection delivers an unrivaled luxury experience with expansive rooms, lavish spa and fitness facilities, and flawless service. In the months to come, every aspect of Doral will be transformed, from a fresh, new design vision throughout our guest rooms and public spaces to vastly upgraded recreational facilities and amenities.

Cape May, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Before you read this review you should understand that if you want Miami Beach this is not the place for you. This resort is about Its golf courses, its spa & overall just enjoying the property!

This was our 4th year in a row attending the WGC and staying at Doral Golf Resort which is now called Trump Doral.

My complaint the past few years has been that the rooms were tired, out dated, damp & there was a such a horrible mildew/mold smell in rooms & hallways that it made me sick! I am happy to say when we stepped out of the elevator this time the smell (& the gross black mildew in air ducts) was gone & there was no need for a heater in our room. thank you! thank you! thank you!

Pros: Mr. Trump & company have big plans for this property. However the reno had to wait until after this year's golf tournament which we knew. We did see little touches of Trump around the grounds & just a general sprucing up but nothing major had been done which is what we expected. One obvious improvement was SERVICE & I mean SERVICE! The entire staff have clearly been instructed to be as attentive, helpful & thorough as possible! I mean everyone... reception staff, valet parking staff, lounge staff, restaurant staff, housekeeping staff, even the young man who delivered the fridge to our room.....top notch!!! In addition I had my annual spa day which was truly wonderul... but it always is!

Cons: There is room for improvement in a few areas. As stated previously Rooms- need to be updated. The decor is just OLD. Everything... furniture.... bathrooms.... technology... bedding.... everything! But I know this is coming!. Dining - We enjoyed every meal during our 7 day stay but there just aren't enough restaurant options. Breakfast is a real problem as they close the breakfast restaurant during the tournament leaving only the buffet at Mesazul. We ended up ordering room service most mornings. My husband who was up & out each morning to play golf before the first tournament tee time would have killed for a breakfast sandwich! Another issue was for some reason (& this WAS NOT the case in prior years) Mesazul would not take dinner reservations due to the tournament. If this is Trump policy it should NOT apply to hotel guests. We were willing to spend our money on property but dinner options made that really tough!Security - In years past we had to show our room key or a certain type of ticket to gain access to the hotel & restaurants during the tournament. This year that was not the case and as a result there were longer lines for the ladies restrooms than ever before!

All that aside we had a fantastic time AGAIN. Since this is an annual getaway for our little family, my husband, daughter & I are really looking forward to seeing the make-over when we return next year!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Managing Director

Been to Trump National Doral Miami? Share your experiences!