“Nice Property - Horrible Christmas Decorations” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Signature Golf Package
Ranked #5 of 5 hotels in Doral
Miami, Florida
“Nice Property - Horrible Christmas Decorations”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

I just recently spent Christmas with my family at this property. It was a very nice property with an impressive golf course and spa. The service was excellent. My only complaint was that the Christmas decorations were very substandard for a hotel of this quality. The Christmas trees looked like they belonged at Walmart. Hopefully, they will do better next year as I understand they are in the process of remodeling.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
George S, General Manager at Trump National Doral Miami, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

I want to thank you for taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.I appreciate your feedback regarding the Christmas Decorations and I will keep in mind for next year. I am happy to hear that your stay at the resort was a pleasant one and that our service was excellent. The Trump Hotel Collection™ acquired Doral Golf Resort & Spa Miami earlier in June and is investing over $200M to transform our legendary resort. In the months to come, every aspect of Doral will be transformed, from a fresh, new design vision throughout our guest rooms and public spaces to vastly upgraded recreational facilities and amenities.

888 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
Valencia, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Its a real pleasure to have both natural beauty and man made excellence. Thats this hotel. The location the beautiful grounds the majestic spa. If you golf its one for the bucket list for those who value and respect their body the wellness center and spa is a enlightenment. Since the hotels remodel and the Brazian flare added it has more life flair but kept the traditional high standard with its cuisine and service.
Have had the pleasure of visiting this hotel many times in the p
ast 12 years. Now its a TRUMP PROPERTY I am looking forward to some more reasons to continue to go.

• Stayed October 2012
George S, General Manager at Trump National Doral Miami, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

I want to thank you for taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us. I am happy to hear that your stay at the resort was a pleasant one and that our service was exceptional. The Trump Hotel Collection™ acquired Doral Golf Resort & Spa Miami earlier in June and is investing over $200M to transform our legendary resort. In the months to come, every aspect of Doral will be transformed, from a fresh, new design vision throughout our guest rooms and public spaces to vastly upgraded recreational facilities and amenities.

New York, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012 via mobile

I used this hotel for a business trip. While the resort needs some updating, I really enjoyed staying here, especially since I received a great corporate rate of $126/night. Here are my thoughts:

Room: While my reservation was for a standard room, I was given a larger studio suite, which was a nice surprise. The bed was newer and comfortable. The rest of the furniture needed some updating, as did the shutters. Though, the property is undergoing a renovation, so this should be fixed soon.

Food: There are plenty of places to eat on site, and the food is pretty good. Also, there are plenty of restaurants nearby, and there is also a Publix less about a mile away.

Parking: I decided to self park, but my room key did not work whenever I exited even when the front would re-set my key, so I had to just pay each time I departed. There is no signage when exiting the lot, so we found ourselves driving onto the golf course the first day. I assume the parking lot will be updated when renovations take place.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

I thank you for choosing to stay at Doral Golf Resort & Spa and for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay. I agree that we have really comfortable beds and that our food is good. I am sorry to hear about the issue you had with parking, I will be personally addressing this issue with our Security staff. The Trump Hotel Collection™ acquired Doral Golf Resort & Spa Miami earlier in June and is investing over $200M to transform our legendary resort. Trump Hotel Collection delivers an unrivaled luxury experience with expansive rooms, lavish spa and fitness facilities, and flawless service. In the months to come, every aspect of Doral will be transformed, from a fresh, new design vision throughout our guest rooms and public spaces to vastly upgraded recreational facilities and amenities.

George M.Sotelo
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

This hotel is going through a transition since Donald Trump bought it. There are signs every here and there with the Donald and quotes about how amazing it's going to be. I'd like to come back when it's finished.

For now, as it stands, Doral is an OK place with loads of potential and a few insurmountable setbacks. It definitely feels like it's stuck in a time warp through most of the resort -- the restaurants being the only real exception. When we checked in we were first directed to a room in Lodge 10. I felt like we were in a creepy nursing home and I didn't like our lack of view. We asked to move to a better location and were happy to be placed in Lodge 4. The room was updated and the location was more central, and we had actual views of the Blue Monster.

We were never disappointed with the food or drinks at any of the restaurants. Service was very very good and we quickly realized that Donald Trump was in town so perhaps that's the reason for the obviously good service. A couple days in and we actually saw Mr. Trump out by the driving range and then by the starter at the golf courses. He was directing people on where the starter clock should go and was really invovled in some of the fine details.

The spa is very nice but I definitely felt like I was in a time warp when I first entered the spa building. Service in the ladies locker room was so good and the amenities were very nice. the services were OK -- I had a scrub and a massage which were nice but I've definitely had better. The shower in the room where I had the scrub had black mold in it so that was off-putting.

The main pool was nice but there was slimy green stuff growing in the hot tub. There was also some green stuff growing in the big pool by the spa and there were lots of bees flying around.

The big cons about this place that I don't think Mr. Trump will be able to fix have to do with location. This place is right near the Miami airport so we constantly had huge planes flying overhead. This was expecially annoying on the golf course. Also, it's a good 20+ minute drive to the fun in South Beach. it took us over an hour to get to South Beach because we left during rush hour, but onlyt ook about 20 minutes to get back to the hotel after dinner.

Room Tip: Ask to go in a lodge close to the main building.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
George S, General Manager at Trump National Doral Miami, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

I thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. The Trump Hotel Collection™ acquired Doral Golf Resort & Spa Miami earlier in June and is investing over $200M to transform our legendary resort. Trump Hotel Collection delivers an unrivaled luxury experience with expansive rooms, lavish spa and fitness facilities, and flawless service. In the months to come, every aspect of Doral will be transformed, from a fresh, new design vision throughout our guest rooms and public spaces to vastly upgraded recreational facilities and amenities.

I look forward to having you back very soon to experience our renovated product and enhanced level of services.

Cambridge, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

My son and I stayed at the Doral while attending the Pritikin Longevity Center program in November 2012. My son's bed was infested with bed bugs. Each morning he would wake up with a series of bad bites. He had rashes all over his arms. He was tossing and turning in his sleep all night from the bites.

They fit the description of the images online of bed bug rashes. My son actually saw the bugs crawling around his bed. How gross!

We had to wash all of our clothing before coming home as we did not want to bring the little critters back to our beds in Boston! I also bought him a new piece of luggage from Target and threw out the old one.

I told the management about it. I hope that they rectify the situation. We stayed in room 226. I would stay away from that room!

Room Tip: Stay away from room 226!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

We apologize for the uncomfortable experience your son encountered during his stay. The concern you had regarding your room suspecting bed bugs was extremely concerning to us! We took immediate action after notifying us at your departure, by contacting a a professional company specializing in this area of concern to thoroughly conduct an inspection of your room and provide a thorough report of their findings. This report of the room you stayed in was found to have absolutely no bed bug activity in any aspect of the room. Bedding, furniture, wall coverings and carpet were all closely checked by a team of certified professionals, who assured us this room as well as the rooms next to, below and above, which were also inspected, had negative findings. If you would like to discuss these reports, please contact either Tom Powers, Director of Security or even myself as I want to personally ensure your satisfaction.

I hope to regain your confidence and welcome you back to Doral Resort, to allow you to see that we have a clean and safe and fun environment to provide our guests the best experience.

La Crosse, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

1) The original (and only) confirmation e-mail they sent me was wrong. I contacted them a second time to confirm our stay for the days we wanted and get a correct e-mail. Never got a second e-mail. I contacted them a third time to get that e-mail and the woman started telling me about the tee times I arranged previously, and they had that wrong. I had never set up a tee time for Thurs. and the hotel had us golfing on Thurs. and had us checking out on Thurs. and we were actually staying through Sunday. The pro shop had all the right information but the front staff did not. I asked for another e-mail confirmation for the correct information and never got one. When we arrived, the folder they gave us still had all the wrong information. They had booked us under two reservations: One for the Blue Monster package and another under another package. So, we ended up checking out on Thursday and then checking back in on that same day. On Thursday, staff knocked on our door checking to see when we would be checking out that day.They were very nice and said that It was ok that we weren't really checking out that day. If this sounds confusing, IT WAS... No communication!
2) On Monday we were to golf. Prior to this my husband had talked with a staff member and the staff assured us they would get our clubs from our room and they would be there for our tee time. We arrived for tee time and no clubs. We were late for our round cause we had to go get our clubs from the room. No follow through!
3) One of the first days we were headed down for golf and the sliding glass door would not open. We were in Lodge 9 on the 2nd floor. Several times during our stay the elevators just were not working. On Sunday, the day we were leaving at 5am, Elevators NOT WORKING. We had our golf clubs and four others bags. My husband carried all the luggage down the stairs for departure. Hotel not being Maintained!
4) We had a garden view room with Balcony. When we arrived we were taken to our room. Turns out the balcony isn't really a balcony. It's a window that opens with bars across. Can't step out to anything. The garden view was much like a well maintained parking lot. The road through the resort was right out there too so a bit noisy. Even at night, I could here vehicles doing things around that area. No real private or beautiful!
5) Food staff was very friendly and good food. Expensive but its' a golf resort. I would expect that. Good food staff!
6) Golf courses were a lot of fun to play. Some construction on the Red course. Besides not being able to keep the ball in the fairway, we loved golf and the courses. Courses good!
7) The pool area was big. Needs updates!
8) Probably not the fault of the hotel or staff but our last night here we were awoken with a pulled fire alarm. Security was there in short order. False alarm!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
George S, General Manager at Trump National Doral Miami, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

I thank you for choosing to stay at Doral Golf Resort & Spa and for taking the time to post a detailed review. I am sorry to hear about your experience and I will be personally addressing these issues with our respective team leaders to ensure this matter is attended to and corrected. In the months to come, every aspect of Doral will be transformed, from a fresh, new design vision throughout our guest rooms and public spaces to vastly upgraded recreational facilities and amenities. All aspects of our resort will soon be renovated and refreshed as we strive to deliver an unrivaled luxury experience under the management of the prestigious Trump Hotel Collections.

I look forward to an opportunity to welcome you back in the near future and regaining your confidence.

Parts Unknown
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Been going every year for 8 years now. Since Trump bought the place, you can see and feel that he's just trying to keep costs as low as possible until the renovations are done and he can start charging boku bucks.
Golf: White was very nice, Red was OK, Silver in total disrepair and the Monster (Blue) was fine but otherwise unremarkable. Starting this week, they're letting the rough grow out for the tourney.
Spa was OK but they've let a LOT of the people go. I didn't see a single name i knew and you could tell the new masseurs worked for bottom dollar (to the resort anyway, not you ;)
Pools: The main pool was another year older and the SPA pool was crappy... the cement was patchy, the 'hot' waterfall was barely warm and the lights were all broken.
Food: Moved the breakfast buffett upstairs but its the exact same menu its been for years. Mesazul is good food. Champs for lunch is a preview of things to come. First restaurant to redo the menu, a burger or a hot dog is now $18, Salads are ~$20, the shrimp is $31 and you get 4 "jumbo" skrimp the size of a quarter.
Rooms: nice but just as dated as ever.
In general, talking with a lot of the workers I've met over the years, they let a LOT of peopl ego and are looking for ways to fire more people....... those left work in fear, and it shows. There's just something missing since the takeover and its reflected in the service as well.

Oh, and a note to Trump who hand picked that monstrocity of a "fountain" outside.... you are not, NOT, a Moravian King and Doral is NOT a European palace. Get rid of that thing

Room Tip: lodge 4 or 5 are the best for the view
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
George S, General Manager at Trump National Doral Miami, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review regarding your most recent stay at Doral Golf & Spa. As you know, Mr. Trump purchased the resort in June 2012 and will undergo a major renovation that will include the Blue Monster as well as all accommodations and public spaces. We are committed in restoring this great resort to its glory days. I am also sorry to hear that we did not meet your service expectations.

As a valued guest I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you personally to discuss further and I can be reached at the resort at your convenience.

Managing Director

Been to Trump National Doral Miami? Share your experiences!