“Getting more average by the day.” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Signature Golf Package
Ranked #5 of 6 hotels in Doral
Parts Unknown
“Getting more average by the day.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Been going every year for 8 years now. Since Trump bought the place, you can see and feel that he's just trying to keep costs as low as possible until the renovations are done and he can start charging boku bucks.
Golf: White was very nice, Red was OK, Silver in total disrepair and the Monster (Blue) was fine but otherwise unremarkable. Starting this week, they're letting the rough grow out for the tourney.
Spa was OK but they've let a LOT of the people go. I didn't see a single name i knew and you could tell the new masseurs worked for bottom dollar (to the resort anyway, not you ;)
Pools: The main pool was another year older and the SPA pool was crappy... the cement was patchy, the 'hot' waterfall was barely warm and the lights were all broken.
Food: Moved the breakfast buffett upstairs but its the exact same menu its been for years. Mesazul is good food. Champs for lunch is a preview of things to come. First restaurant to redo the menu, a burger or a hot dog is now $18, Salads are ~$20, the shrimp is $31 and you get 4 "jumbo" skrimp the size of a quarter.
Rooms: nice but just as dated as ever.
In general, talking with a lot of the workers I've met over the years, they let a LOT of peopl ego and are looking for ways to fire more people....... those left work in fear, and it shows. There's just something missing since the takeover and its reflected in the service as well.

Oh, and a note to Trump who hand picked that monstrocity of a "fountain" outside.... you are not, NOT, a Moravian King and Doral is NOT a European palace. Get rid of that thing

Room Tip: lodge 4 or 5 are the best for the view
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
George S, General Manager at Trump National Doral Miami, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review regarding your most recent stay at Doral Golf & Spa. As you know, Mr. Trump purchased the resort in June 2012 and will undergo a major renovation that will include the Blue Monster as well as all accommodations and public spaces. We are committed in restoring this great resort to its glory days. I am also sorry to hear that we did not meet your service expectations.

As a valued guest I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you personally to discuss further and I can be reached at the resort at your convenience.

975 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Location - seems like it's in the middle of nowhere - surrounded by golf courses and not much else.
Grounds - immaculate and there looks to be continuous work on it. There are 10 buildings, lobby, with pool in the centre but I prefered the other pool by the spa which was near the back and more private. There's a large fitness centre in the main building with everything you need.
Room - I was in building 8 and it was probably the room nearest the road. In the early morning, I could hear all the cars during morning rush hour and surprisingly, it was quite busy. The room looked a little worn but it was very clean with updated linens. The bathroom seems to have been recently renovated.
Food - had the breakfast buffet around 10:30 am and by then the eggs benedict's english muffin was getting tough sitting in the warmer for hours. At almost $30, it should be changed more frequently. Other than that, the rest was very good. Also had appetizers in the bar which was all very good too.
Service - everywhere I went it was excellent from the check-in to the restaurant staff to the pool staff.
I enjoyed my stay and look forward to its complete makeover!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
George S, General Manager at Trump National Doral Miami, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

I thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I will be personally addressing the issue you had regarding the breakfast with our Food & Beverage staff. The Trump Hotel Collection™ acquired Doral Golf Resort & Spa Miami earlier in June and is investing over $200M to transform our legendary resort. Trump Hotel Collection delivers an unrivaled luxury experience with expansive rooms, lavish spa and fitness facilities, and flawless service. In the months to come, every aspect of Doral will be transformed, from a fresh, new design vision throughout our guest rooms and public spaces to vastly upgraded recreational facilities and amenities.

Herndon, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

The Doral Golf Resort and Spa (DGRS) is a longtime landmark in Miami, and a traditional fixture on the PGA tour for many years. Long owned by Marriott as one of its premier properties, it was sold several months ago to Donald Trump who intends to restore Doral to its once famous glory. The result for vacationers, golfers, and convention goers staying there now, however, is that you are likely to find a dated hotel under going a gradual facelift.

On the surface, DGRS is beautiful. The grounds are spotless and a genuine oasis in the middle of a bustling suburb of Miami. A large waterfall and lagoon still captivate the air, and bring a well deserved tranquility to the property. The exterior of the buildings look fresh and vibrant. Mermaid statues, gorgeously lit at night, break up the well maintained shrubs, trees, and lawns. In all, it is wonderful to simply walk the grounds and relax.

Once inside, however, you quickly see that rooms have yet to be modernized. I had a two room suite, and both rooms were freezing. I turned the heat up to 80 degrees in an attempt to thaw out the rooms, but when only cool air came out of the vents, I simply turned them off. Eventually, without asking, I returned one night to discover a portable heater had been placed in the room to crank out the heat. It was a thoughtful gesture by the hotel staff, but I would have preferred to have been able to control the temperature from the installed thermostat.

Likewise, I was disappointed by the little things: My shower door was misaligned and would not close all the way; a handle on the dresser was broken and dangling; there was no robe or slippers; the towels were of average thread count but not luxourious. I say this not because I had unreasonable expectations, but because if Trump hopes to hold this hotel up to a luxury standards, they are the little things that distinguish a quality property from an average one.

Similarly, the room lacked many modern necessities--chief among them, electrical outlets. In this day and age, when travellers come with cell phone(s), tablets, and laptops, they expect to find ample outlets to power their needs. In my case, I actually had to unplug two lamps to have sufficient space for my electrical essentials.

Finally, I was disappointed with the hotel's billing procedures. The hotel offers WiFi, and like Marriott properties relies on Ibahn to deliver it, but you pay $12.95 a day unless you have it included in the resort fee. For my most recent visit, I was part of a group and our contract called for the resort fee to be included in our hotel room costs. Thus, one would expect the WiFi fee, which is part of the Resort Fee (clearly stated in paperwork in the room) to be included--but not so. Rather, the desk clerk noted that if the Resort Fee is included in the contract, the WiFi fee is broken out and you have to pay it separately. No where does it say that in writing--not in the group contract, not in the in-room paperwork, and not at the front desk. When I protested, I was simply met with an "That's simply the hotel rules" response, and no offer to take the fee off the bill. Again, at a premier property, a guest should not expect to encounter such inconsistencies or such a refusal to work with the guest to resolve an issue.

I'll give Trump some time to work on the place before I return. I'd like to give it another chance, but for now, there are plenty of other excellent hotels nearby that are willing to work with repeat customers than the Doral at this stage in its transition.

Room Tip: Ask for a lodge with a golf course view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

I thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I agree with you that we have a beautiful property. I will be personally addressing the issues you had in your room with our Housekeeping and Engineering staff. The Trump Hotel Collection™ acquired Doral Golf Resort & Spa Miami earlier in June and is investing over $200M to transform our legendary resort. Trump Hotel Collection delivers an unrivaled luxury experience with expansive rooms, lavish spa and fitness facilities, and flawless service. In the months to come, every aspect of Doral will be transformed, from a fresh, new design vision throughout our guest rooms and public spaces to vastly upgraded recreational facilities and amenities.

England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

We stayed one night prior to a cruise. The staff were welcoming and helpful, but our room although clean was tired. The meal in sports bar was tasty, but the menus had two different prices for the same bottle of wine. The breakfast was comical and needs organisation although the standard of food was good and the staff were trying hard to please. There appears to be a lot of work going on at the hotel and I am sure with appropriate management it will be a great place for a longer stay in the future.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

I thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am happy to hear that our staff was helpful. I will be personally addressing some of the issues you had with our Food & Beverage staff . The Trump Hotel Collection™ acquired Doral Golf Resort & Spa Miami earlier in June and is investing over $200M to transform our legendary resort. Trump Hotel Collection delivers an unrivaled luxury experience with expansive rooms, lavish spa and fitness facilities, and flawless service. In the months to come, every aspect of Doral will be transformed, from a fresh, new design vision throughout our guest rooms and public spaces to vastly upgraded recreational facilities and amenities.

Buenos Aires, Argentina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

I stayed at this hotel many times during the past years.
The buildings are old, but the rooms are kept up-to-date. The sizes and layout of the rooms varied every time I stayed there. Big rooms, small rooms, big bathroom, small bathrooms... it is always great to stay here.
The golf course is superb (all though my golfing is not...). The swimming pool is great, with a large area for food and drinks. Restaurants and bars are great too!
The quality of breakfast was excellent too.
Location was great for me, because we had meetings nearby. It is quite far away from the beaches though...

I would definitely recommend this hotel for family, business, friends, couple and solo travelling.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

I thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am happy to hear that you had a pleasant stay at the resort. I agree that we have great golf courses. The Trump Hotel Collection™ acquired Doral Golf Resort & Spa Miami earlier in June and is investing over $200M to transform our legendary resort. Trump Hotel Collection delivers an unrivaled luxury experience with expansive rooms, lavish spa and fitness facilities, and flawless service. In the months to come, every aspect of Doral will be transformed, from a fresh, new design vision throughout our guest rooms and public spaces to vastly upgraded recreational facilities and amenities.

Landenberg, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Spent two nights here so my husband could golf. He loved the golf courses, but the rest of the resort needs many upgrades. Advertisements from Donald Trump are everywhere, so maybe he will be making the necessary upgrades. First and foremost, on-site restaurants are pathetic and over-priced. Customer service needs adjusting. The resort was literally empty, but when I asked to stay in my room 2 hours past checkout, while my husband finished his round of golf, I could not!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

I thank you for choosing to stay with us. I agree that we have beautiful golf courses. The Trump Hotel Collection™ acquired Doral Golf Resort & Spa Miami earlier in June and is investing over $200M to transform our legendary resort. Trump Hotel Collection delivers an unrivaled luxury experience with expansive rooms, lavish spa and fitness facilities, and flawless service. In the months to come, every aspect of Doral will be transformed, from a fresh, new design vision throughout our guest rooms and public spaces to vastly upgraded recreational facilities and amenities.

I look forward to welcoming you back to in the near future.

Folkestone
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

My family and i stayed at this hotel, which is now owned by the Donald Trump company, overnight on 16th November 2012, as we were off on a cruise e following day. The grounds were immaculately presented and the staff were very helpful and friendly - they even drove us across the road to a restaurant, which was also very good fun. The rooms were clean, spacious, well presented and well furnished with all the bits you would need.the beds were queen size doubles and were very comfy. Our room looked out over the golf course and the views were wonderful to wake up to. The air conditioning was very loud, but we are heavy sleepers so it did not bother us much.

The resort is also very close to the miami airport and the planes constantly fly by, but again you were not disturbed inside. Be warned - the buffet breakfast is fantastic but at $30 each it is not cheap! Sadly we did not have time for golf or the spa, but we did look round and it looked lovely.

The resort is currently undergoing a huge refurb by the new owners and I have no doubt that it will be of a very high standard when finished. I would recommend this resort to anyone looking for a high end resort at a great location.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbed room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

I want to thank you for taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us. I am happy to hear that your stay at the resort was a pleasant one and that our staff was helpful and friendly. I agree that our rooms are very spacious and our beds are comfortable. The Trump Hotel Collection™ acquired Doral Golf Resort & Spa Miami earlier in June and is investing over $200M to transform our legendary resort. In the months to come, every aspect of Doral will be transformed, from a fresh, new design vision throughout our guest rooms and public spaces to vastly upgraded recreational facilities and amenities.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Managing Director

Been to Trump National Doral Miami? Share your experiences!