“Great Pool Area” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 6 hotels in Doral
Ma.
“Great Pool Area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2008

We had a great stay here. The rooms were large and the bed was comfortable.We had a balcony, although it didn't really overlook much. Their is a Starbucks, as well as a restaurant. We enjoyed drinks and appetizers at the restaurant ,sitting outdoors, and they were good. Breakfast was the typical Marriott fare, with the choice of the hot or cold buffet, or ordering off the menu. Prices were on the expensive side.There is self parking, and we used this. There was always someone coming by in a golf cart to shuttle us to our room, as the grounds are quite expansive.
The best part of the resort for me was the pool area,which included waterfalls,nice landscaping, a meandering pool,waterslide, and plenty of seating. The water was really warm, so I was able to stay in for a long time. The pool side food and drink service was efficient, and lunch was great. I wouldn't hesitate to stay at this hotel again
There is a great Italian restaurant called Chef Sammy's about 1 mile from the hotel. The concierge recommended it, and the food was GREAT!.

• Liked — Pool Area
  • Disliked — Thin Walls
Stayed February 2008, traveled on business

982 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2008

We just returned from a 4 day stay at the Doral Resort. We were not sure what to expect with the mixed reviews we read. However, we were pleasantly surprised with the hotel facilities for the most part. The pool area was a highlight....there are two pools, an upper and a lower one. The upper pool is colder, has a water fall and a zero entry good for the little ones. The lower pool was very warm, like a bath. Both pools were surrounded by flowers and palm trees with the lagoon style popular at resorts these days. There were plenty of chairs to be had most times of the day. We went during presidents week and we were told the hotel was full. I guess that is the up side of going to a golf resort - lots of people playing golf so room at the pool. The lounges have soft cushions on them and are very comfortable. The resort provides plenty of towels and a large cooler full of lemon and lime enfused cold water for the taking. Books and magazines were also available to borrow. There is good pool service of drinks and food and an outdoor cafe between the two pools as well. There are cabanas for anyone's use. There is a pool slide which was great fun for the kids. It has a height requirement of 42" and was perfect for our daughter. She could have gone on it all day. It is staffed for safety.

We ate at 3 of the restaurants at the resort. The morning buffet was better than expected and had a nice assortment of offerings. There was an omlette station, pancake/waffle station, cold and hot cereals, pastries, muffins, fruit, eggs benedict, sausages, bacon and many other options. We had dinner at the outdoor cafe overlooking the golf course. It is more casual than the other more formal choice. The food was good and the view of the golf course at night with a large fountain and flags of many countries was lovely. The outdoor lunch cafe had a good assortment of wraps, sandwiches, pizza, etc. Good food, but the service was slow.

Our room was spacious, plenty large enought for a roll away bed without it crowding the room. We had a balcony to sit out on and a nice view of the lake on the golf course. The rooms are carpeted, the bathrooms are marble and have an aditional sink to use. The beds were so comfortable with pillow tops and soft cotton linens, down comforters and down pillows. Sleeping on them was awesome and I would have had the best night sleep ever if it weren't for the noisy group next door!

The rooms are in 3 floor lodges spread throughout the grounds, but there was none too far from the main building, pool or golf area. Everything was very centrally located.

I thought the shops at the resorts had everything one could want and were open into the evening hours for convenience. There was a steel drum band playing in the early evenings, but not much other entertainment that we found. However, the Miami area has tons to do, so it was not an issue.

I cannot comment much on the golf itself. The course looked beautiful. My husband hit balls on the driving range and enjoyed that. This resort does cater to golfers, however, we were not there to golf and still enjoyed what the resort had to offer.

The grounds are well maintained. There is a really nice lagoon with lilypads and a waterfall and a tiny little beach area with a volleyball net.

I would recommend the Doral Golf Resort. We had a very enjoyable stay there.

• Liked — pool area
  • Disliked — noisy neighbors
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2008

Just back from a business trip to Miami and a stay at the Doral Golf Resort and Spa.

In a nutshell-

Good-
Location (7 miles from Miami International Airport)
Friendly Staff
Spa
Golf
Lovely grounds
The food in the Spa restaurant
Clean room
Marriott Rewards points

Bad-
Paper thin walls in room
Somewhat dated decor (wthout cordless phones, flat-screen TV, etc.)
Yellow water in bathtub
Restaurant choices
Food just adequate (other than at spa)
Houskeeping staff very noisy

Problems-
Contacted management on 3 occasions to ask that housekeeping staff stop slamming doors in the morning against the security locks while they service rooms. Banging continued from all over the building each day, even though management assured that they'd address the problem.

To sum up-
The Doral is a nice place that is showing it's age. It has pluses and minuses and a great spa with good food (for lunches only) in the spa restaurant. Room service could use additional spa choices and the other restaurants are adequate at best. For me, the minuses outweigh the pluses and I would pass on the Doral in the future unless things change.

Finally, this review is of the main hotel and not of the "Villas," as I was in building 2, on the 2nd floor.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — noise
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2008

We stayed at this resort earlier this month for three nights.

The grounds of the resort are gorgeous, with spectacular settings and a sprawling pool area. The pool looked great for children and adults alike, with a beach-like sloping area and another more traditional pool, plus a slide for kids. We didn’t get to see the spa or the spa pool. We are not golfers so did not use the courses, but I understand that they are pretty fantastic. Unfortunately, while the resort is very close to the airport, it is in an area of Miami (Doral, actually) which is filled with strip malls, small office buildings, and other uninteresting sites. It is not a great location if you want to check out the sights in Miami Beach.

Check-in and check-out were very efficient and courteous. The staff we encountered were friendly. You will be attacked by doormen at the front entrance, however, asking to take your luggage to your room. We just ignored them and parked on our own in the self-parking lot. Because of the sprawling nature of the resort, you can expect to do a fair bit of walking to get from place to place. However, it looked like you could get shuttle rides at designated spots.

Our room was huge, clean, well appointed and decorated, with a balcony overlooking the garden area. We understand that this part of the hotel was recently renovated. Navigating the “lodge” was a bit difficult at times, with elevators being located at certain ends, and the ice machine a long walk away. Fortunately the lodges are not tall and relatively small so you could easily walk from floor to floor. We also noticed that the walls/interior doors were not insulated well. A few times you could clearly hear phones ringing in an adjacent room, as well as the cleaning staff outside.

We used room service a couple of times. The food was simple but good.

The resort is used a lot by conference holders, so you can expect to be running into a lot of people and meeting supplies in your building as many of the meeting rooms are located throughout.

I forgot a battery charger in our room. When I first called the response was friendly and immediate, and I was told they would call back as soon as they could find the item. There were a couple of calls to clarify, but then I heard nothing. I called again, and was told they would call me back to let me know if it was found or not. That was several days ago, and I am still awaiting a response.

Overall, the Doral is beautiful resort. However, for the cost, and given its location, I do not think it is worth it unless you are there to golf.

• Liked — Grounds, Pool
  • Disliked — Poor Location
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
nyc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2008

We just returned from a 2 night stay at the Doral. We were nervous about staying at this resort due to the negative reviews on this site. In fact, we even had a back up plan if the place was so terrible and we needed to leave immediately. We had very little expectations and ended up LOVING the resort. Our room was great - clean and large and renovated, the pool area was enjoyable - my 6 year old had a great time on the water slide, the restaurants were delicious and not too expensive, and the staff could not have been more accomodating. The grounds are gorgeous and very calming. We were sad to have to leave and will def initely return in the future. Do not let prior negative reviews scare you away. The Doral is a great resort and we did not even play golf!

• Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
Antibes, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2008

Stayed at the Doral Golf and Resort for business for 3 days. I was staying in a very large accessible room which was quite comfortable except for 2 things: 1) at night, the corridor could be quite noisy when people were getting back in their rooms; 2) the level of lighting was not adequate. Otherwise, the gardens are absolutely gorgeous, the heated swimming pool very enjoyable and the breakfast buffet very nice.

• Liked — gardens and pool
  • Disliked — noise in corridor
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
glencoe91
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2008

Before I left for my trip I read most of the reviews on this website and I was a little worried since there was so many negative reviews. I am happy to state that the Doral Resort is a terrific place. It is a golf heaven.

Every part of this resort is nice. I would have given this resort an excellent mark, but since the rooms are getting a little dated, it brings down the experience to above average.

Location:
15 minutes from the Miami aiport. Can't beat this.

Golf:
We played the red, white, and blue. Each course was in terrific shape and there was many rangers driving by to make sure the pace of play moved quickly. If I had to rate the courses I would rate the Blue the best, followed by the red and then the white. I am not a fan of desert golf and that is what you get with the white. I have never liked target golf, but I recommend that if you are going to play at least 3 courses during your stay to still play the white. It is a very hard course and I probably would have liked it more if I hit a few more staiaght shots. The blue is great. Playing on a PGA type course is a great experience. A lot of great history on the blue monster. The resort has a nice driving range and putting areas for practice. Also the Jim Mclean school is there for lessons.

Rooms:
They were very clean and were nice size. All the rooms are being done this summer and I think it is about time. The bathrooms are small, but that does not bother me. How much time do you really spend in a bathroom?

Food:
We ate every where in the resort and the food was really good. Breakfast buffet was fine, lunch on the course was great. There is a cart person riding around with great sub sandwiches and all types of snacks. Dinner were good. We ate in there Windows and the sports bar. Food was very good at both places.

Employee's:
Every person we came in contact with was very friendly and helpful.

In conlusion I would tell everyone reading this website not to listen to all those bad reviews about Doral. This place is terrific and will even be better in the fall of 2008 (new rooms). If you are a golfer it is the place to go in south Florida. Nothing better than getting up each day have breakfast and then play a new course each day of your stay.

4 out of 5 stars

• Liked — Great golf
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Trump National Doral Miami? Share your experiences!