“Warning! Hotel needs makeover.” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Signature Golf Package
Ranked #5 of 5 hotels in Doral
Palm Beach, Florida
“Warning! Hotel needs makeover.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

The website photos are misleading. I stay at this hotel every year for a golf tournament and hear its being sold and made over -- which it needs to be. This is a large, sprawling, older property that Marriott is doing its best with, but . . . if you get a good deal by all means do it, but your expectations should not be too high. Its a dated property that is hard to get around because it is enormous and food is so-so.

Room Tip: Make them show you where room is before bellman takes you -- bc if you don't like location it wi...

890 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
West Bloomfield, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

Doral is a destination you think about for golf, and that is the primary reason for my stay. I went with some friends only interested in the golf but I came away promising never to stay at a Marriott location again. The service was ok overall but nothing exceptional. The breakfast buffet is nice and the ladies that work it are accommodating.

The front desk is completely chaotic. Nobody knows how to check you in properly or check you out. I had an extra charge on my room that was never authorized and when I called to have it corrected they told me they couldn't fix it. The manager admitted to making an error with the charges but still refused to do anything about it. This charge was more than $1,200 so it wasn't a small amount and they refused to do anything about it even though they admitted to making an error.

We played a replay round one day and the course was backed up. Before we teed off the ranger wanted to fit a twosome in front of us. I told the ranger that the whole course was backed up and he told me "too bad" and that we were playing a replay anyway. As if the $105 we paid for the replay didn't justify a normal round.

I'm not sure what's going on with Doral and Marrott but it was very unprofessional and disconcerting. I recommend staying away from this place at all costs unless you want to experience playing the Blue Monster, JM, or Great White. All three of which are nice but not memorable.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Birmingham, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

My friends and I (group of 10) travel every winter for our annual golf outing and we had planned our Doral trip months in advance. The hotel staff had a difficult time keeping our reservation in order which lead to several of our group members coming home and finding incorrect overcharges on their credit card statements. When we tried to work with them on fixing the problem, they basically didnt seem to care and forced us to handle it and said that although it was their mistake in how they billed us, they would hold certain cards hostage until other members paid. Furthermore, the Marriott staff kept transferring me to different departments for over an hour and a half, only to have nothing done.

The lodging was average which was also a disappointment. The beds were not comfortable for several members of our group which lead to sleepless nights. We had requested adjoining rooms but that was not accommodated.

Our first round of golf was significantly slowed down by large groups scheduled ahead of us. There were no player advocates, or rangers, in site to help speed these large groups and therefore we were forced to skip multiple holes just to finish in time. When we had requested a refund or discount for that round, it was not adequately fulfilled.

As far as the golf goes, the Great White and the JM were in great condition, but the other courses were not in nearly as great of shape. We had a caddie at the Blue Monster who seemed to care more about which cart to ride in then about what was going on during the round. very little assistance, and would even sometimes leave us to care for bunkers.

Also, there were multiple instances where the golf staff didn't provide adequate services. Our shuttle for the last day's round was delayed. My golf bag cover was lost by the staff and there wasn't much effort put into finding the missing cover.

A couple of our group members had issues with the food service. One of our players became significantly ill with gastrointestinal problems and spent most of the trip in the bathroom vomiting and experiencing diarrhea.

Needless to say, we will not be returning to Doral for any of our lodging or golf needs in the foreseeable future. It is evident that the bankruptcy status of the resort has lead to progressive disrepair and substandard service that I had not experienced before at a Marriott resort of this stature.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Trinidad Caribbean
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

We stayed there from the 15th to 20th Dec 2011, during that time there was a golf tournament taking place so there was a lot of activity.
This is a good clean facility, like other reviewers have noted things are not brand new but they are by no means run down. The property is spread out consisting of a number of separate buildings so no matter where your room is located there will be some walking. My disappointment stems from the service which could have been better. We were attended to at the front desk by Crystal, a gem of an individual as her name suggests after that we had to figure everything else out ourselves with absolutely no help, the parking lot is not well lit nor well organised and this is made worse by those who use 2 spots cutting down available parking. The room did smell musty but that disappeared after a few minutes with the ac turned up. Housekeeping needs improvement, the locations of the elevators or directions to the rooms are not apparent on first arrival, none of our requests for pillows towels etc were fulfilled, we had to wait more than an hour to get bathroom tissue after calling 4 times. Wonderful pools and water slide but they aren't always heated.We did not explore all of the resort as we are not golfers, our room was next to the Blue monster course (bldg 7) and it was very comfortable, there is in room wireless internet, the in room info lists ice machines near the elevators but in our case it was in the adjoining wing of the building and we would never have found it without directions from staff.This is not the best place if you use a wheel chair or have muscular dystrophy or other mobility problems. The circular drive to the lobby level of the buildings are blocked off so you can't drive up to load or unload, you either stop in the main drive or trudge from the carpark unless you're one of the lucky few that can get a bellman.
The resort is close to many dining establishments all along 87th ave as well as Doral ave. If you want a big breakfast you have to try Original pancake house along Doral Ave. There is a Publix, Walgreens and CVS nearby and close by one street over at the corner of 79th ave and 52nd is a little strip mall with a coin laundry and venezuelan food, they open 7days till 930pm, a life saver when travelling with kids. This is a great resort some improvements are needed but you won't be disappointed. Within a day of me completing my guest survey I was contacted by phone by the resort to discuss my concerns so management is listening and trying.

Room Tip: Building 7 is closest to the self park lot and is opposite the golf school and driving range and ste...
Sewall s Point, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

This was a trip booked for a junior golf tournament at Doral for my wife and daughters. They were staying during the run up to Christmas which is usually expensive. However, having originally booked the room on hotels.com for around $600 for three nights, we eventually cancelled and re-booked three times with them because the price kept coming down, finally costing $276 for the three nights.

The hotel itself is very well appointed with superb terrace bars and beautifully appointed rooms which were more than adequate for the stay. The staff are extremely helpful and there was no nasty resort charge or parking fee tagged on at the end. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
MIADL, Manager at Trump National Doral Miami, responded to this review, January 17, 2012
We are delighted you stayed with us and found a great value on hotels.com! We hope your daughter(s) did well in the golf tournament - we look forward to seeing you again next year!
Denver, CO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

The place was built in 1962 and it looks it. Not that it's run down per se, it's just kinda awkward.

After I arrived I read some of its history it changed my perspective on the ragged edges. We appreciate a hotel with a good story.

There's been updates, but it's age shines through. The guest rooms in the older buildings are dark and the patios barren. Our building felt like a spruced up retirement home. And they spruced it up with a quick trip to Peir 1. The place was clean. Our bath had a built in vanity with stool. (Another feature that was an echo of its past.)

The staff was amazing. Super friendly and went out of their way to help.

It almost seems unfair to review this place since I'm not a golfer. The course is certainly beautiful and there is a walking trail around a good chunk of it.

The sports bar was passable but nothing exciting on the menu. Stick to the burgers. The pool was nice and warm which I like. Hot tub was out of service.

I'd say if you aren't golfing the place is fine for one night. I stayed on points, but if I'd gotten a room for around 100 bucks or so I'd feel i got my money's worth.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for the thoughtful review. I truly enjoyed hearing that you spent some time reading about the history of Doral during your stay! We are very proud of our Doral history story and love to share with our guests.

Thanks too about the nice comments about our staff. We would love to have you back again. Please feel free to contact me at 305-392-4928 if I can assist you with any future reservations.
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

I booked this hotel using Marriott rewards for 1 night as a stopover from Orlando before flying home from Miami.

I was very worried after reading the reviews on this site.

We arrived about 11 30 am and our room wasn't ready. The receptionist offered us a room immediately but it wouldn't be a refurbished room as ours was, so we elected to wait round the pool and have lunch.

The pool was nice, with sunbeds, cabanas, spa and restaurant. There was also a pool table and ping pong.

Lunch was fine, towels supplied, plenty of free loungers. My only negative is that the pool and spa water was absolutely freezing - not heated at all.

Went to get our room keys about 4pm and was expecting the worst. IT WAS FINE!!

Large room with 2 doubles and a rollaway. Coffee maker, balcony, flat screen tv. Newly remodelled - it was fine. My only gripe was the distance from the car park. We were in lodge 4 by the way,

Had dinner in Champions Sports Bar. Nice food, cold chardonnay. Again only 1 gripe - they had run out of creme brulee.

Packed up early in the morning so didn't try the breakfast options. Asked the a female bellhop for directions to the airport and unbelivably she said she didn't know!! Really? So close to the airport? Anyway we asked another valet who gave us great directions - just 2 turns so all was well.

If you are looking for somewhere to crash close to the airport and dont expect the Ritz Carlton Key Biscayne then it maybe what you are looking for.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing to book your Marriott Rewards stay with us! First and foremost, we appreciate your loyalty to Marriott and for providing us with your feedback.

I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit. I do, however, apologize that we ran out of the creme brulee. Next time you are visiting, please call me in advance (305-392-4928) and I will make sure we have a creme brulee waiting for you.

Thanks again.

Been to Trump National Doral Miami? Share your experiences!