“Good room, Great service” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Signature Golf Package
Ranked #5 of 6 hotels in Doral
The World
“Good room, Great service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2007

One of the consistencies of the JW Marriott is its service, it is always truely 5-stars all around. I always feel to be treated like a king here.

Upon check-in, despite the low status in Marriott frequent guest program, I was given a large corner room in lodge #6. The room feels more like a mini-suite than a king room and hence also its downside. There were not enough furniture in the room therefore the room feels a bit too empty.

Aside from the king bed and the two nightstands flanking each side, there is also a reading chair with ottoman. A drawer desk that also double as the TV stand. A separate workdesk is available for those who needs to work. There is also a vanity desk next to the bathroom but its location was badly designed as anyone sitting in front of it will block the way to the bathroom.

The bathroom size was great, roomy and bright. Water pressure was decent and the bath amenities quality was high.

The Champion restaurant lunch menu was good with decent price list. There is a Starbucks in the basement but it does not have the usual quality. I attribute this to the untrained Baristas.

Location wise, unless you are here for spas or for golf, it is rather far from the nightlife haunts of Miami. Getting a cab can be long at dinner time as there mayby lots of guests having the same ideas as you do. There are however a paid shuttle service to South Beach for $10/head.

Like other JW Marriott, the Doral Spas and Goft Resort distict itself from other with the service that it provides.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

975 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2007

Just returned from a 3 day guys weekend getaway to Doral. I understand there would be mixed reviews for this property. It all boils down to what you're looking for. First of all, if you're a golfer, this is a terrific choice. They have several courses, all of which are highly accessible to the property and the packages they offer are good value. Doral is close to the airport so we were able to book an afternoon tee-off at 1:15 pm, and although our plance landed at 11:30 AM, we made our tee time (barely).
Although the beach is not close and the party atmosphere of South Beach is about 20-30 minute drive away, it's still pretty convenient. They have a couple of nice pools, and although we did not try it out, the spa is a good feature. I also noticed a Kids Club, for parents who bring their kids.
I generally find the service to be quite good here. The employees all seem quite helpful, and they went out of their way to accomodate us when one of our mates had to cancel at the last minute due to illness and we had to re-configure our package. They always gave us the benefit of the doubt, and when we asked they knocked the prices down and gave us an upgrade. They seem very willing to "deal", when it comes to prices.
The room we had was nice and well-appointed and close to the main building (Lodge 6). The bathroom was a bit small but the room was clean and nice and had a balcony. The food was good, they have a wonderful breakfast buffet which was included in our package and the lunch on the terrace was good.
The concierge was helpful and they have a computer and printer next to the main desk to print off your boarding passes. We had a rental car but chose to self-park and walk 5 minutes to avoid the $25 daily valet charge.
Bottom Line, this is a 4 star place, not 5 star, so don't expect luxury, but it's very nice and very good value, and quite a good choice if you're main purpose is to play golf but also be near a place with some night life.

• Liked — Convenient, practical, close to golf
  • Disliked — Small Bathroom
  • Stayed December 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reston, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2007

The room was very nice and large.

This resort is not near the water, so be sure you know it is at least 30 minutes to the beach.

Designed for the golfer. I would recommend.

Stayed July 2007
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2007

Doral is certainly not the best place we've ever stayed but the people - both the guests and the staff - were the nicest I've come across. Everyone was so friendly and pleasant and seemed to be having a great time (whether they were working or vacationing).

We booked the Blue Monster 3-day package. Not sure if a package is necessary the next time we go but it worked out pretty well for us. We played the Silver course the first day and probably wouldn't do that again as it was just so-so and is two miles off the main resort property so they take you in a shuttle. It was very wet and muddy when we played so that probably had something to do with me not absolutely loving the course. But it was fun. The Blue Monster is aptly named - incredibly tough. More sand than I've ever seen. But beautiful and fun. Our favorite course of the three we played was the Great White (where this beginnger had her first birdie!). I especially enjoyed the unique challenges of the par 3s on this course.

My husband and I had treatments at the spa and we were both very happy with them. We had a great aesthetician and masseuse.

Our only on-site dining was at the hotel's sports bar and it was so-so; service was pretty slow (yet so pleasant). But it's a very fun place to hang out, watch some games on TV and enjoy the company of other guests.

I would definitely recommend spending some time and money at the Jim McLean Golf School on the property if you're serious about your game (or serious about improving it). Fantastic instructors all around. We worked with Patricia and she was amazing. We're considering the two or three-day golf school programs for our next visit.

Again, as I wrote above, this is not my favorite resort by any stretch and I didn't love the accomodations (though they're completely fine) but I would certainly return as we had an incredible three-day stay. Very nice to be right on property for our early tee times and lessons. Loved every minute.

Stayed November 2007
Guadalajara, Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2007

My family and I recently returned from a week long vacation in Florida. We stayed at the Miami Doral Golf Resort and Spa. We had arrived at the hotel at 10:30 p.m. and parked in at the lot adjacent to our rooms, the Valet Parking Area. To avoid leaving the keys for the van with 9 suitcases inside, we went to the trouble of parking the van ourselves. The next day we discovered that someone had broken into our rented vehicle and that all of our nine pieces of luggage had been stolen from the vehicle. Immediately after discovering the breaking and entry we called hotel security. We also contacted the Loss Prevention Officer and other members from the administrative departments. They called the police who also showed up minutes later. The police opened a case and assigned an incident number. Unfortunately, it appears that there are no security cameras covering this area and none of the security staff of the hotel witnessed the robbery.
Because of the “confidence” we had in the hotel, we had no trepidations about leaving our luggage in a locked vehicle inside the security perimeter of the hotel in order to facilitate our early morning departure to the airport. We were thoroughly surprised and shocked that this type of crime could be perpetrated inside such a “prestigious” hotel.
We visited Florida to go shopping and spent a considerable amount of money for the items which were in our luggage.
The hotel's "investigation" resulted in nothing. The security staff was quick to tell us the hotel was not responsible. They didn't seem to take any responsibility for the stolen luggage. We were told that this was the first incident of such kind but later we learned that other guests had lost sets of golf clubs outside the club house and ipods from cars.
Stay away from this place where it seems thieves operate from inside, no one will stay in a place where they don’t feel safe.

Stayed August 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2007

Stayed here last weekend for a company outing. I had read some of the posted reviews and I was worried. We arrived after midnight and was put in building 7. The room was very small with a tiny bathroom. Mold was visible around the A/C vent in the bathroom and the smell was very strong. Since it was late, I kept my mouth shut. There was no food service available due to the time, We were served a small bowl of snack mix with our beer.
We requested a room change in the morning and were taken by golf cart to building 10 which seemed to be much newer. Our room was over 2x the size of the first room. The ice machine was in the lower level and in the opposite wing from our room. It was a 5 minute walk for us but the ice bucket was well insulated and the ice remained intact through the night. Lunch prices in the bar/grill seemed high. $15 for a tasty mahi sandwich with fries and condiment sized plastic container of cole slaw. Main pool area is odd with a large wading pool where towels are available and a deeper pool connected by patio walkways. I had to walk back to the wading pool to return the "signed out" towel. A nice waterfall feature near the wading pool can be used for a good neck/back massage. Teenagers said the water slide was cool.
The wait staff is very friendly but this wasn't enough to erase the impression of the bad first room. The best thing about the Doral is that it's smoke-free. I'm glad this stay wasn't on my dime.

• Liked — smoke free
  • Disliked — moldy smell throughout the hotel, very strong in building 7
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Pompano Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2007

I'm a native Miamian who happens to work in the hospitality industry, but I now live in central Florida. I needed to return to Miami for a family function and managed to secure a great deal at the Doral Golf Resort & Spa.
Having grown-up in Miami, I was familiar with the property, but had never had the opportunity to visit. The resort IS centrally located within the Miami metropolitan area & is a relatively short distance for Miami Int'l Airport. However, it is NOT located in a neighborhood with any particular charm or quaintness (Miami has relatively few charming/walkable areas that tourists would find enjoyable, with South Beach being the notable exception).
The resort happens to be just west of Miami Int'l Airport, but I encountered little-to-no problem with airplane noise (I would think this could change if flights patterns require the use of Miami's diagonal runway).
The area surrrounding the Doral Resort is known as the Doral area and is comprised of residential areas, several corporate campuses and some light industrial warehouses. If you plan on spending more than a few nights at this property and want to do some sightseeing, you WILL need a car. There are plenty of restaurants off-site, varying from Italian to Spanish to fast food.
First & foremost, the overall service experience with the staff at the Doral resort was extremely positive (especially-so for Miami). You can tell this property works hard to train their staff. I was impressed by the grounds, which are quite lush and well maintained. However, the overall layout of the property is a bit jumbled and wide-spread. The guest rooms are located in "lodges" that are generally 4-stories tall and reminded me of hotels that I'd seen in Hawaii, overlooking central courtyards or gardens.
The resort is gated and has a guard at the entrance at all times, providing a good sense of security.
The lodge I was in (#10) appeared to have been renovated within the last few years. While the room was of a large size and the furnishings seemed well maintained, the bathrooms were not quite as nice. The fixtures all seemed cheap and the style didn't match the rest of the room. HOWEVER, the room was quite clean when I checked-in.
The one customer service issue I encountered during my three-night stay was housekeeping not cleaning the room on the second day of my stay, even after I provided a specific time by when I would be out; when I returned 4 hours later, the room had not been touched. Housekeeping knocked on the door 10 minutes after I had returned, by which time I told them to forget it (I was relaxing and preparing for a night out).
Some areas of the hotel, while having been renovated, had been updated with poor-quality materials. There were also lots of knicks & dings on walls & elevators; this sort of "wear & tear" shouldn't exist at a property of this caliber.
The spa facilities were nice (not fantastic, just nice), but were thoroughly maintained by the very attentive staff. I spent quite a while relaxing the men's locker / steam / sauna / jacuzzi area and the attendants worked hard to keep the floor dry, water/tea stocked & cold and the fresh apples & plums available.
All in all, the Doral Golf Resort & Spa satisfied my requirements for the weekend and I was impressed. I would stay there again without hesitation or recommend it to friends.

• Liked — The size of the room and the very attentive staff at Check-In & at the Spa.
  • Disliked — Housekeeping not cleaning my room one day.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Trump National Doral Miami? Share your experiences!