“Tired” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Doral
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Tired”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2007

Stayed here last weekend for a company outing. I had read some of the posted reviews and I was worried. We arrived after midnight and was put in building 7. The room was very small with a tiny bathroom. Mold was visible around the A/C vent in the bathroom and the smell was very strong. Since it was late, I kept my mouth shut. There was no food service available due to the time, We were served a small bowl of snack mix with our beer.
We requested a room change in the morning and were taken by golf cart to building 10 which seemed to be much newer. Our room was over 2x the size of the first room. The ice machine was in the lower level and in the opposite wing from our room. It was a 5 minute walk for us but the ice bucket was well insulated and the ice remained intact through the night. Lunch prices in the bar/grill seemed high. $15 for a tasty mahi sandwich with fries and condiment sized plastic container of cole slaw. Main pool area is odd with a large wading pool where towels are available and a deeper pool connected by patio walkways. I had to walk back to the wading pool to return the "signed out" towel. A nice waterfall feature near the wading pool can be used for a good neck/back massage. Teenagers said the water slide was cool.
The wait staff is very friendly but this wasn't enough to erase the impression of the bad first room. The best thing about the Doral is that it's smoke-free. I'm glad this stay wasn't on my dime.

• Liked — smoke free
  • Disliked — moldy smell throughout the hotel, very strong in building 7
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
Pompano Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2007

I'm a native Miamian who happens to work in the hospitality industry, but I now live in central Florida. I needed to return to Miami for a family function and managed to secure a great deal at the Doral Golf Resort & Spa.
Having grown-up in Miami, I was familiar with the property, but had never had the opportunity to visit. The resort IS centrally located within the Miami metropolitan area & is a relatively short distance for Miami Int'l Airport. However, it is NOT located in a neighborhood with any particular charm or quaintness (Miami has relatively few charming/walkable areas that tourists would find enjoyable, with South Beach being the notable exception).
The resort happens to be just west of Miami Int'l Airport, but I encountered little-to-no problem with airplane noise (I would think this could change if flights patterns require the use of Miami's diagonal runway).
The area surrrounding the Doral Resort is known as the Doral area and is comprised of residential areas, several corporate campuses and some light industrial warehouses. If you plan on spending more than a few nights at this property and want to do some sightseeing, you WILL need a car. There are plenty of restaurants off-site, varying from Italian to Spanish to fast food.
First & foremost, the overall service experience with the staff at the Doral resort was extremely positive (especially-so for Miami). You can tell this property works hard to train their staff. I was impressed by the grounds, which are quite lush and well maintained. However, the overall layout of the property is a bit jumbled and wide-spread. The guest rooms are located in "lodges" that are generally 4-stories tall and reminded me of hotels that I'd seen in Hawaii, overlooking central courtyards or gardens.
The resort is gated and has a guard at the entrance at all times, providing a good sense of security.
The lodge I was in (#10) appeared to have been renovated within the last few years. While the room was of a large size and the furnishings seemed well maintained, the bathrooms were not quite as nice. The fixtures all seemed cheap and the style didn't match the rest of the room. HOWEVER, the room was quite clean when I checked-in.
The one customer service issue I encountered during my three-night stay was housekeeping not cleaning the room on the second day of my stay, even after I provided a specific time by when I would be out; when I returned 4 hours later, the room had not been touched. Housekeeping knocked on the door 10 minutes after I had returned, by which time I told them to forget it (I was relaxing and preparing for a night out).
Some areas of the hotel, while having been renovated, had been updated with poor-quality materials. There were also lots of knicks & dings on walls & elevators; this sort of "wear & tear" shouldn't exist at a property of this caliber.
The spa facilities were nice (not fantastic, just nice), but were thoroughly maintained by the very attentive staff. I spent quite a while relaxing the men's locker / steam / sauna / jacuzzi area and the attendants worked hard to keep the floor dry, water/tea stocked & cold and the fresh apples & plums available.
All in all, the Doral Golf Resort & Spa satisfied my requirements for the weekend and I was impressed. I would stay there again without hesitation or recommend it to friends.

• Liked — The size of the room and the very attentive staff at Check-In & at the Spa.
  • Disliked — Housekeeping not cleaning my room one day.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Philadelpha
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2007

This was my first trip to Miami.

In all my world travels I've never been so disappointed in a hotel this much. In my first 2 days (of a 5 night stay) I switched my room 5, yes five, times. First one was size of a closet next to the elevator dinging constantly. Second one smelled of mold and caused my allergies to go crazy. Third room was musty and the patio flooded from the rain. I was upset and told the front desk to just give me a quiet room with a nice balcony. Fourth try, another room next to the elevator next to the lobby...not quiet. Fifth and final try was a large room at the end of the lodge. No smell but big motor outside window made noise. One night it was was ringing an alarm with a bright red light flashing. I had to call the front desk and they sent security. I kept the room and figured there wasn't much I could do. Never once did the Manager contact me to apologize for the poor rooms. However, front desk staff left me voice mails after each move to see if the room was ok.

Although the lodge rooms are nasty I have to say.... the staff at this hotel is EXCEPTIONAL. From the front desk, to the wait staff, concierge, bellmen, valet and housemen. Truly a five star staff and professional in every way. Everytime I passed an employee I was greeted with 'Hello'. I asked plenty of questions about Miami and everyone was nice.

The food was very good for the conference and in the restaurants. Try the onion soup = very good! The grounds very nice but not world class (except for the landscaping). Pools nice but kids pool needed cleaning.

The biggest drawback to this place besides the nasty rooms is its distance from Miami and Miami Beach/SOBE. They have no shuttles to nightlife and a cab to SouthBeach is about $45/each way = $90. Cab from airport to resort was $25 about 5pm on a Saturday. Rented a car from onsite Enterprise office - small Chevy Aero was about $70/day with insurance. BMWs were available but I didn't price them.

Several of us went to the Spa to inquire about their services. Too expensive for all of us. $150 for a 50 minute massage is just too much; expected $80-90 or so.

I guess this place is for golfers considering the beautiful golf course. I was told Micheal Douglas and Will Smith were here last week. Where do they and Tiger Woods stay when they come here?

• Liked — The nice and helpful employees.
  • Disliked — Smelly and old hotel rooms with old furnishings.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Cincinnati, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2007

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in late September/October for a Conference. With all of the rain, it was miserable walking to the Conference Center. Internet Cost of 17.00 per day does not apply to the Conference Rooms.

Hotel Rooms are worn and look like something out of the 1960's. Concierge draws directions on a map to a restaurant and we are still looking for the place. The restaurant food is expensive and average at best.

Property is not close to much, and without a Car Rental you are stuck. Nothing is happening on the property in the evening at all. Extremely disappointing facility!!!!!

• Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Brevard, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2007

The was my second stay at the Doral Spa and Golf Resort. Bottom line is that it's a mxed bag. One moment there's great Marriot service and fabulous golf. The next minute there's third-world sloppy service and terrible housekeeping. This stay, our bathroom was dirty, complete with long black hair in the tub and shower walls. It took a phone call and a visit to the front desk to get it taken care of. To the hotel management's credit, they got it fixed fast once they were aware of the problem and gave us a fruit basket and extra Marriot points to make up for the inconvenience.

• Liked — Access to golf
  • Disliked — Small rooms; lousy housekeeping
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Delray Beach, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2007

I am not sure what people like about this place. It is rundown and not well cared for. Trash in the gardens, the hallways smell like mold. The pool is nice but very croweded. Impossible to get a drink. Stay at the Marriott across the street. At least you can still use the pool ,but have a much bigger and nicer room.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Penscola, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2007

I sent two employees to a 3 day training seminar Hosted by Doral. I Set it up in advance and confirmed prior to their stay that my Corp Credit Card was to be charged for the rooms. NOT . What a cluster they have created. I have spent so much of my time trying to get them to correct their Blunder over 5 calls to 2 different departments. Three times they said it was going to be corrected and to this date it has not. My employees are furious, that they were charged. I Spent over a hour on hold (three) times with "Customer Relations" - cut off twice and still have nothing to show for my hours of frustration. We are in the process of disputing all the charges and letting the CC companies sort it out. Wost customer service ever, and we travel alot- Never Again at Doral Miami- will think twice about booking with Marriott!!!

• Liked — Employees liked the pool
  • Disliked — No Business - customer service
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Trump National Doral Miami? Share your experiences!