“Blue Monster Not Ready for Prime...Price” 3 of 5 stars

Type: Golf Courses
Activities: Golfing
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: One of the Doral Resort's five championship golf courses.
Ottawa, Canada
5 attraction reviews
“Blue Monster Not Ready for Prime...Price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

I played the Blue Monster on February 20. No doubt the revamped course is a severe test of golf and was in excellent condition when I played. However, for a total cost of more than $550, the entire experience did not measure up with Pebble Beach, TPC Sawgrass and Pinecrest 2. The staff were all very polite and my forecaddie (Sean/Shawn?) and his colleague were terrific but the full fee should not be charged until they can deliver the full expectation of service and amenities that comes with that price point. The day I played was the first day that the new pro shop was open. After paying, I asked to use the restroom - it wasn't available yet and I would have to go back to the Spa where I had parked and taken a shuttle to the course....However, they pointed out that there were portable toilets out on the course for the forthcoming tournament, so I could wait and use one of those. Thankfully, portable toilets were available at the practice range because those on the course were wired together and locked-up. The golf cart I was given had no scorecard and no divot repair material in either bottle. When I arrived at the first tee 8 minutes before my tee time, I noticed a PGA pro with others beside the tee. Course staff asked me to immediately tee off on my own and catch up to the threesome that was approaching the first green - then changed his mind and drove me out to the threesome, saying I could play the first hole at the end of my round. I guess my $550 isn't worth the same as others'. Those considering playing here should know that airliners fly low overhead every 90 seconds - two minutes. One last observation - the pro shop would not validate my $18 parking fee, saying that charge is "part of the business". While a small part of the total cost, I would observe that Pebble, TPC Sawgrass and Pinehurst don't charge for parking if you have a tee time, so this just seemed to be part of an overall strategy to gouge every possible dollar from guests. While the golf course itself was great, I left feeling that I had gotten "the business".

Detroit, Michigan, United States
“Be ready for a challange”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

Some of the new greens were a little slower than others. Fairways are generous (as my ball rolled forever). I found myself putting through the fringes when short siding myself. Ruff was being thicken for the upcoming tourney. It was cart path only at the time we played. The caddie had a laser for distances which helped maintain speed of play, but I found myself with a hand full of clubs at time for my second shot ( our caddie hustled his butt off tending to distances, raking bunkers, and assisting with clubs).
You have to pay a caddie fee before heading out on the course. If you do get a good caddie, he'll make you feel like a pro.

North Olmsted, Ohio
“Nice course. Doral is a mess”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

The course itself is fun and the caddies are great. But since to play you basically must stay on property this impacts the overall experience and ours was terrible. So much construction at the course and clubhouse that I was nearly hit by construction equipment 2X. At this price point completely inexcusable. It should have been closed until construction was completed.

Santa Monica, California
“The Good, bad and ugly”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

I had extremely high hopes as I decided to play on my 40th bday. Played at Key West GC the day before and flew in for this round at Doral. Got to the hotel about 75 minutes before my round after flying in. Since the place is a major construction zone, I was re-routed to another entrance. After valeting the car, I shuttled to the course. Checked in for my round and was told they wanted to push my round another 20 min. All good. More time to warm up. Turns out the clubhouse and mens locker room were closed (as well as restaurants, etc) so I used the small bathroom at the pool to change my clothes. Long walk back to the pro shop and ready to warm up. Now they told me they were moving my tee time up another 20 min. Needless to say, all the time I thought I had going in was now dwindled to 10 min. I chose to rent clubs and didn't get any choice of shafts and the clubs were worn. Anyway, off I go feeling a little rushed and the whole system just seemed very disorganized, surrounded by a construction war zone. Here's the deal... Trump wanted to make the course challenging for the pro tourney next month so he overhauled it. All good for the tourney and course conditions (amazing), but not the most peaceful experience. Because of the changes, the course is cart path only. Here's an important tip.... WALK THE COURSE! They charge you a little more for the caddy if you walk, but what an amazing experience. I felt like a pro out there. The caddy (Rob) was phenomenal. I can't say enough about how great the course was once we got out there. It is tourney ready. I really want to give this a great review for the course conditions, the awesome caddy (Rob) and the overall experience, but everything else around it was below average. If you want to golf here, don't stay at the hotel. Everything is closed and round the clock construction. Very little empathy/sympathy from the staff and you expect to get great service and experience for what you pay. Not even an apology for anything. The two best people I met were the caddy (Rob) and the kid on his first day trying to find a place for me to change my clothes. I can now cross this off my bucket list but expected a little more.

Ohio
“Nickel and Dimed at Trump Doral”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014 via mobile

My husband and son just got done playing the new Blue Monster course at Trump Doral. Green fees were $450 each no junior rate. Caddie is mandatory walking or riding- an additional $20 for riding $70 for walking. Caddie was a great guy, but still a crazy must do. For $1000 for a twosome you would expect a once in a lifetime experience. What you get is a decent course in the middle of the flight path of Miami International. Much of the charm of the old Doral has been removed. Also, heavy construction in the surrounding area. The biggest joke was the additional charge for driving range balls. They give you a very small bag of complimentary balls any additional are a fee. So let me get this straight You pay a thousand dollars and you can't have unlimited range balls. Check this off your bucket list and save your cash, this is not worth it.

Visited January 2014