“Charming restaurant on the Seine.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of la chaine d'or

la chaine d'or
25/27 Rue Grande, Les Andelys, France
+33 2 32 54 00 31
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with
la chaine d'or is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 23 Restaurants in Les Andelys
Good for: Romance
Description: La Chaîne d’Or gets her name from the history of the 18th century, when the house was considered as a toll house. A large chain was crossing the Seine river between the rives and the island. Each boat that wanted to cross the river from La Havre to Paris had to pay a toll. The king was getting so much money from this toll, that people were telling that it was a “golden chain”. La Chaîne d’Or has been successively an auberge, an hotel, and a coffee shop, just in front of the church, where men were meeting while their wifes were in the church.After world war 2nd, the Boirel family proposed a traditional cuisine, which was very appreciated from the local guests. Monsieur Boutineau went on with this tradition. Several years later, Monsieur et Madame Foucault, as new owners, decided to propose a gastronomic restaurant and with the help of the Chef, Monsieur Chevalliez, they obtained a Star from the famous Michelin Guide.When the chef left to buy his own restaurant, Madame Foucault sold la Chaîne d’Or which had a difficult time for a while.Today, Stephanie and Olivier Bicot, their team and the Chef Philippe Lallier are very proud to welcome you and to share their passion for the French gastronomy.
San Gabriel, California
“Charming restaurant on the Seine.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Outstanding smoked samon and a wonderful view of the Seine. The staff were friendly and attentive. Les Andelys is well worth visiting if you are in the Grand Andely area.

• Visited November 2012

Richmond, Virginia, United States
“Weekend Retreat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

We went this past October for a family wedding in the near by country side. This hotel reminded of a larger version of a bed and breakfast with majestic views and very nice rooms. Remember this is out in the country side of France not in the the busy city of Paris so it will be quite. The rooms were spacious and the hotel accommodates parties of 3 or 4 in a room. The restaurants was fantastic. Set menus and prices from 35- 60 euros. Food kept coming out but never really over ate ( like we do in the US ). If you order a la carte it takes 30 minutes more and you pay more and get less. We had a court yard view but also had a water view. The weekend we were there there was a large group outing there as well and never knew they were there. Worth visiting!!!!

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Hove, United Kingdom
“"Actually, chef wishes you weren't here"”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

I am sad that my being vegetarian causes so much hassle for the French, but in most cases I am greeted with charm, and generally these days, genuine hospitality and warmth. I was warned on booking my room (as recommended by a friend) that only demi-pension (half board) was available, and I asked the receptionist if vegetarianism would be a problem (or we would go elsewhere). On arriving, some weeks later, I mentioned food whilst checking in, and asked hopefully if my being vegetarian would be a problem for chef. The surly receptionist responded that 'actually, chef wishes you weren't here'. I wish I had had the presence of mind to check out there and then as neither the restaurant, nor the pretentious hotel had very much going for their exorbitant rates. My fellow traveller and I were mocked for wanting somewhere comfortable to sit in advance of dinner with a drink, and were left cooped up in the boring little reception area. Once at table, Maitre D' took my friend's order easily enough, but then expected me to chose something from the menu, regardless of attempts to explain that there was nothing I could eat. He then offered 'a carpaccio of anciennes tomates', (thinly sliced tomatoes albeit ones my family has grown as long as I can remember - green with flecked skin). For main, I was offered the typical assiette de legumes, which for those prices was just insulting... Eventually, receptionist joined the conversation, which I earnestly tried to keep 'quiet' as I didn't want to ruin everyone else's evening. I was told that Maitre D' didn't know that chef had planned something special for main course, and that the sliced tomatoes were special and ancient - I should be privileged. And the main course would be augmented with an Ouef Florentin (which she then explained in detail assuming I wouldn't know what it was). Poached egg on spinach with sliced tomatoes... Not good, and served grudgingly and unwelcomingly. I would have happily eaten elsewhere, but they insisted on the exorbitant demi-pension deal... A suggestion was made that something simple and charming like a little cheese soufflé with new potatoes left them in apoplexy, and had them mocking me disdainfully in the kitchen later on - in such loud voice the whole dining room could hear. The charmless dining room was emptied efficiently by their cavalier service before 9.30, and my companion and I were left with nowhere for a final end-of-evening drink. The cheese board was excellent, the wine was good and the desserts were fine. But the attitude, the appalling manners and absolute inhospitality mean this warrants my worst of all ratings 0. I wouldn't bother with the hotel either. River views appeared obscured by river bank trees (not their fault I'll grant you) and a nearby nightclub made the room unpeaceful. The church view room was considerably nicer IMHO. But tacky details everywhere, little 'fleurs de lys' glued or screwed to furniture, and cheap plaster cornicing stuck to walls with glue that had dripped down that walls... Not good enough for these rates and these pretentious attitudes. The welcome received elsewhere eclipsed this in every respect.

• Visited September 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
london
“each course got better”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

We chose set lunch menu. My partner had boudin noir - superb. I chose smoked salmon. I was a bit reluctant to choose this but in the end was delighted with my choice. The fish was thickly sliced - generous portion - and beautifully dressed. Best smoked salmon i have ever chosen. We both had roast veal for our main course. It was sensational. Very subtle and delicate but a real knockout. For desert we had an apricot tart. I am not usually a sweet desert person but this tart was unbelievable. So many flavours and textures balanced perfectly. I will never forget this meal - the whole thing was a joy.

• Visited August 2012
St. John's, Canada
“A Most Memorable experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

On May 28 of this year, my husband and I travelled to Paris with 3 other friends. We had planned a trip to Giverny to see Monet's Garden and afterwards our driver offered to bring us to a typical French country restaurant.
We were greeted by the owner and ushered into a lovely dining room. The windows were open allowing us to hear the birds chirping which added to our pleasure.
The food was freshly prepared at the moment and it was delicious. The presentation was beautiful.
We spent the whole afternoon there and were sad to leave. If you get a chance to go to Les Andelys by all means go. It was the highlight of our trip and we intend to go back when we get the chance

• Visited May 2012