“Filippo takes care of everything” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Club Surf Popoyo

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tola
Club Surf Popoyo
You added Club Surf Popoyo to your Saves list
Popoyo Beach, Tola, Nicaragua   |
Ranked #2 of 5 Tola B&B and Inns
“Filippo takes care of everything”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

My wife and I stayed in another hotel but ate here / hung out for almost every meal and snack. Filippo is awesome as he hooked us up with great food, boat trips to surf, car trips to surf and just about everything else. He runs it like an American place - spotless and efficient. He even let me keep a tab of everything and pay at the end with a credit card. Filippo is the Man!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

We arrived past midnight from the airport and Felip had waited up for us to show us to our room. We were traveling with our toddler and everyone helped watch out for her. Felip checked in with us everyday to make sure we were okay and so did all his staff. We were in Popoyo during semana santa and our hotel felt like an oasis for the parties on the street. Thank you for a wonderful stay!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the beach for a quieter night sleep.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Boca Raton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

Planned a trip as a couple to Popoyo- my partner surfs and I do not. Having traveled to many surf spots in Central America I made the incorrect assumption that Popoyo would be similar in that there would be enough to do for me as well. However, Popoyo and Club Surf are aimed at surfing and not much else. This is not a bad thing in and of itself but it was a negative for me as the non surfer. I wish I had known this beforehand when planning the trip so I am writing this review from my perspective to inform future travelers in my situation.

As a non surfer I would not recommend Popoyo or club surf because 1) there is no beachfront "hangout" area at club surf. If I'm not surfing I like to have a chair or hammock or something to relax in while on the beach and club surf does not have these facilities. It's beach front but there's a large empty space between the hotel building and the actual beach and the view of the ocean/beach from the hotel is blocked by vegetation and the empty property between. There are actually very few places in popoyo that do have beachfront facilities. The area is mostly private home rentals and a few hotel/hostels. It was not pleasant to lay directly on the sand because the winds were strong and I was whipped by the blowing sand if I laid down to read 2) since there are very few places in Popoyo and access to them is limited, your options for food are basically your accommodations. Club surf has hands down the best food in Popoyo but I like to venture out and you can't really do that 3) this is not the fault of club surf, but the power went out daily, sometimes twice daily, in Popoyo and we ran out of water once so keep that in mind 4) I assume because of the power outages, a long time for the heated water to return so we didn't have a hot shower until our 3rd night. Because the water was running out the first night, the water pressure was really low and I wasn't able to wash my hair after a long day of travel and swimming in the ocean 5) the bed and pillows were not very comfortable and my back and neck ached after sleeping. For $60-$65/night I expected better quality. We paid less in Granada and San Juan for significantly nicer accommodations.

I've been a round the world backpacker on the cheap and have dealt with these types of things before, but this trip was not in that spirit. It was my first holiday in 2 years and Popoyo and club surf were just not what I had in mind.

However if you are simply looking for a true surf trip and all you need is a place to lay your head and eat your meals then you will really enjoy Popoyo and club surf. The beach is beautiful and clean, there are two breaks within walking distance, the accommodations are adequate, private and cleaned daily (and from the looks of things one of if not the nicest places in Popoyo that's not a private home) and the food is really delicious especially the pizza.

Otherwise, I recommend heading to playa maderas round the corner from San Juan for a chill surfing vibe with more choices.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014 via mobile

This place is incredible - great rooms that are cleaned daily, air con and fan, hot water, fabulous restaurant with to die for food and the owner is friendly, hospitable and laid back. It feels like a five star resort, without the price tag and without the arrogance. Highlights on the menu: lobster pasta and make sure you come for pizza night! The owner is Italian - you won't get pizza that good anywhere else in Central America.

• Stayed April 2014
Oahu, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

a buddy and i stayed at club surf popoyo for two weeks. fillipo, the owner has mastered the chilled out running of this lovely little place. rooms very clean, which got thoroughly and regularly cleaned by excellent staff. we had a beach facing room so we could hear the waves crashing at night. food is superb, again, excellent kitchen staff and table waiting staff. we had a couple of power cuts during our stay, which added to the magic of the place, as several of us just held up in the hammocks all night! i can honestly say ive never stayed in such a nice, relaxed, clean, comfortable surf camp. i recommend this place 100%. i shall be back.

Room Tip: the beach facing rooms can be a little quieter, if people in the dining area stay up later than you.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

This is the best place to stay in Popoyo for different reasons: sweet water, fan and A/C in very room, accurate daily cleaning of the room and surely the best food in the village. Travelers from other locations are coming here either for breakfast, lunch or dinner (especially when Pizzas and tiramisu are on). Filippo and Barbara (co-starred now by little boss Emiliano) have been running the place since day 1 and you can feel it. Great hospitality plus excellent local knowledge and network.The staff (Tamari, Maria, Jenny, Sorimar, Santiago and the other ladies of the kitchen) is very nice and efficient. Filippo will sort out any requirement for you (transports, boat trips, fishing boat trips, short trips in the area and whatever the location could offer). Not sure about leaving, I will come back surely.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

Great place to stay for a few nights, value for money is probably the main highlight there. The rooms a bit dark and its not directly on beachfront (50meters over an empty lot), but its very clean, friendly, and great food at the restaurant. You get a lot for your money.
Filippo is very easy going and friendly and will make your stay fuss free... i have seen other places at the beach, there are a few up the road if you are looking for a party atmosphere and more young people that would be better, otherwise if you want peace and quite (but do enquire if the construction in front of the property has been completed) this hits the spot. Reccomend!

Room Tip: south side rooms look at the surf.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Been to Club Surf Popoyo? Share your experiences!