TRAVEL ALERT: SECURITY CONCERNS More info

“Beautifully and tastefully restored old house!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ehsan Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kashan
Ehsan Guest House
Kashan, Iran   |
Ranked #2 of 7 Kashan B&B and Inns
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
“Beautifully and tastefully restored old house!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

Ehsan historical house is a wonderfully restored and carefully resurrected guesthouse that is a joy to stay at. Raha, the host, helped us have a wonderful stay by helping us get under the skin of Kashan.

A walk around the property serves as a great introduction to old Kashan houses and their associated history.

Room Tip: Courtyard facing rooms are better than most.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

90 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Polish first
Quezon City, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

Ehsan House is one of the smarter choices in Kashan. Given the proliferation of historic houses in the city, it's a surprise that there's a dearth of good lodging options there so Ehsan House is the best choice so far.

The hotel is a renovated historic house, complete with the traditional Persian courtyard and old-style architecture. It is the most expensive of all the hotels we've stayed in Iran (around US$50 for a double) but the rooms are spacious, clean and well-appointed. Free breakfast and wifi are included with the room price.

The hotel also has a restaurant where one can ask them to cook traditional Iranian dishes. The food was great. Although it was our nth time to eat kebab, the meat was sumptuous without being dry and the rice was fragrant.

Located in the main street, Ehsan House is just a short walk away to the bazaar or to the group of historic houses and baths. It is situated directly across the Agha Bozorg Mosque which also should not be missed while in Kashan.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Basque Country
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

Ok, let's make it clear that this is neither a Western-style hotel, so don't expect the facilities associated to those properties. This is a very nice guesthouse located in a renovated traditional house; reservations can be arranged by e-mail (not that common an option when dealing with Iranian hotels) and once you get there the female staff is all smiles and ready to cater for all your needs. We opted with a room with a shower and bathroom and I must admit it was very nice: huge ceilings, very comfortable double bed (no news of the hard mattresses some users complained about here), clean and nicely appointed, with A/C and a heater; we did use the latter as it can get quite cold in Kashan at this time of the year.

The bathroom was clean and spacious, and again contrary to what other users comment I found (and used) hot water to spare.

The house itself is beautiful, esp. the courtyard, and I was lucky enough to meet a bunch of very interesting people, Iranian and foreign, there. It comes across as incredibly serene in the early morning and night.

Breakfast is indeed very basic, but the nan is magnificent, probably the best we had in Iran, and that is a lot to say. Dinner is very nice, though, no traces of oil-soaking aubergine but rather a very smooth one. Chicken, meat and vegetable dishes, all well prepared and at laughable prices.

So to sum up, althoug basic this comes out as a very cozy place to stay in Kashan, a very interesting town by the way. Given the limited choice and the absence of top-end accomodation, this is a very reccomendable guesthouse.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

We stayed here for just two nights in a twin room with shared bathroom. The price for the room has increased to IR500,000 (from IR350,000 in previous reports we've read). The room cost for a twin with private bathroom is currently IR700,000. I assume these prices are peak season and may be negotiable in the winter months. We thought the room rate was expensive for what it was, especially considering we've stayed in similar accommodation in Iran for almost half the price. However, there isn't much choice in Kashan so most foreigners will inevitably end up staying here and I think the guest house capitalises well on this. We did hear about another guest house in town called Noghli House (behing the Agha Bozorg Mosque) but didn't check it out.

The room is fairly basic with reasonably hard single beds, air-con and a fridge. While we were there, a lot of mossies came out in the evening but the hotel did leave a can of insect spray in the room. Breakfast is very average – just thin bread with cream cheese, honey and jam with black tea. We also ate dinner here but didn't think much of it. I tried the eggplant stew and it was swimming in oil, however the chicken kebab was OK. Our room was across the courtyard from the shared bathrooms that were located under the kitchen area. The shared bathrooms contained two squat toilets and two western toilets with combined shower rooms. The bathrooms had a bit of a queue at times because the guest house was full while we were there. Some of the other bedrooms are located up steep wooden stairways off the main courtyard. You have to wear hijab in the guest house - it's a bit annoying having to always put the gear on when you're just going to the bathroom or washing your hair. We didn't meet any young Iranians hanging out in the courtyard as the LP guidebook suggests, only older Iranian men. Even our taxi driver from the bus station was keen to come in and hang out in the courtyard for a bit, maybe in the hope of meeting a foreign girl. However, it was still quite nice and relaxing hanging out in the courtyard the evening.

The guest house is located within walking distance of most of the main attractions in Kashan except Fin Gardens. The gardens and the main bus terminal is a reachable by taxi. The guest house also organises drivers for trips in the region or onward travel and there were plenty of other guests looking to share trips while we were there. The front desk service was OK but they were pretty busy while we were there with a couple of tour groups coming and going so we had to wait a while on bath towels.

Overall not a bad place, however we didn't think Kashan was a must see and would've quite happily skipped over it.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Athens, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

I think the only hotel of its kind in Kashan (a traditional house converted in hotel) and one of the most beautiful all over Iran! The rooms were suggestive, the courtyard beautifully restored and the food was excellent! And just near everywhere!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Kyiv
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2011

Perhaps for Kashan with its limited accommodation facilities, this is one of the best available options.

But I arrived here at the end of my trip, having visited about a dozen of traditional houses and stayed in a couple of them. So I couldn’t help comparing Ehsan Guest House to the Iranian traditional hotels I’ve been to before. And this comparison wasn’t always in favour of Ehsan.

BOOKING AND CHECK-IN

Was fast and easy.

There’s no English web-site for the hotel, and the one for the House (in Farsi) is useless to the potential guests. I sent an e-mail at -- and received confirmation the very next day. The agreed price was USD 30, including breakfast. And though I actually stayed here 3 weeks later and sent no further e-mails, my reservation was duly kept and found immediately upon arrival.

Just like any other hotel in Iran, they keep your passport while you’re staying.

LOCATION

Is both tricky to find for a first timer and perfectly central to explore the city.

Ehsan is situated in the alley opposite the street leading to Agha Bozorg Mosque. From Kamal-ol-Molk Sq., drive a bit further down Fazel-e Naraghi Str. till you see the English sign for Ehsan Guest House by the right side. Turn from Fazel to the narrow alley, leave your car and walk straight ahead. The entrance to the guesthouse will be to your left, but there is no English sign on it.

Kashan main attractions – merchants’ historical houses – are in a short walking distance from here. And with the large English signs to each, they are easy to find in the city. Fin gardens, however, can only be reached by taxi.

THE HOUSE

Although charming, Ehsan shouldn’t be compared to the most remarkable Kashan historic houses – Ameriha, Abbasian, Tabatabai and Boroujerdi. It’s much smaller, much simpler, and has less sophisticated decoration in both exterior and interior.

Ehsan is listed on the touristy map available for free in Taj House (ask for one, if they don’t offer!). But I’d say its artistic value is hardly too high. So if you don’t stay here, just skip it, especially if you are short of time.

Its inner courtyard isn’t very spacious. There’s a pool in the middle of it, with a small fountain, and a few takhte’s situated by the pool in the shadow of some greenery. Another fabulous sitting space is on the roof terrace of the first floor, overviewing the courtyard; but there are no takhte’s up there, only tables with chairs. It’s lit by the sun during most of the day.

ROOMS AND SLEEPING QUALITY

There are several rooms in the house available for the guests’ accommodation, and they all seem to be different in terms of space and comfort.

I was offered a choice between two of them, and opted for the one on the second floor, even though it required short climbing up some steep stairs inside a narrow corridor to reach it. Not the best solution for anyone claustrophobic and/or with limited mobility.

Similar to all traditional houses I’ve been to in Iran, the room door gets closed with a padlock. Here in Ehsan it was the lower door; while the one directly to the room from the stairs had no second lock from the outside.

The room, although with a low vaulted ceiling, looked very nice and cosy. The floor was covered with several thick carpets; there were also some pillows on it to sit at. Two separate beds faced the wall with a small round window. Some amenities were available – a fridge, and an aircon (didn’t try it though), but no TV (didn’t need one, anyway).

Like in many traditional hotels, there was no wardrobe or closet in the room. Except wall niches, the second bed and the large pouf, there was nowhere to place your staff. Since I was here for one night, I didn’t take my luggage out of the car trunk, but for the backpack with most needful and valuable things.

Although I liked the room a lot, I must have spent my worst night in Iran here, all because of the terrible sleeping facilities.

The one who designed those beds seemed to had never slept in one! Even for me, the bed was short and narrow. The linen – but this was a problem in the entire country – was synthetic; I got small still tangible static charges every time I moved. The bed sheet was tiny, and I woke up on a bare mattress, because the sheet crumpled and moved down. The mattress was very uncomfortable – I could feel its structure with my every bone.

Though this is beyond the hotel powers, and I personally like the sound, can’t help mentioning that the calls for prayer are very well heard here.

BATHROOM

A relatively small room with a shower, a sink and a tiny shelf over it, but it had a European water closet, lots of toilet paper and even an automated air venting system.

The shower wasn’t in any way separated from the rest of the bathroom. But this was not a problem for me… because the water both in the sink and in the shower was icy cold!

Even though I normally do not use hot water at home, this was too cold even for me to take a shower properly. Huge downside.

BREAKFAST

The breakfast was served in the courtyard, on tachte’s by the pool. An aged non-smiling lady brought trays to each guest from the kitchen nearby. Set of meals was typical: delicious and abundant flat bread, some cheese and sour cream, jam and honey, and a pot of tea (the usual Lipton teabag).

If you are a coffee maniac like me, DO take your own coffee to Iran! Otherwise you will get nothing here but a Nescafe instant coffee stick. It felt like heaven to enjoy natural coffee brought from home. And it’s easy to find boiled water in Iran even outside the hotels – you will see traditional samovars in front of many street and/or bazaar shops.

RECOMMENDED?

Considering limited choice of accommodation in Kashan these days, I would recommend Ehsan Guest House. However, even though I’d love to stay in Kashan longer, I was happy I didn’t have to sleep here one more night.

• Stayed December 2010
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2010

We stayed here for 3 nights: we were supposed to go back to Tehran for the last night, but the hotel was so nice that we stayed an extra night in Kashan and drove to the airport early in the morning instead (I would really recommend doing this. It was only a 2-hour drive to Imam Khomeini airport and Kashan is a much nicer place than Tehran). The hotel was in a really good location and we really appreciated the fact that we could make tea in the communal kitchen and sit out listening to the call to prayer and just soaking up the atmosphere. I don't agree with earlier reviewers that the rooms are too expensive. We paid $60/night for a large room with a big bathroom and breakfast (and free hire of laptops etc), which was commensurate with what we had paid elsewhere. And this was the nicest place we stayed in Iran. The reception staff and the breakfast lady were very nice and keen to help. The only downside was that the room wasn't cleaned during our stay, but this seems standard in Iran too so it wasn't unique to this hotel. I would definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Ehsan Guest House? Share your experiences!