“KBR treats guests like royalty” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Special Offer
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Bitung
Cupertino, California
“KBR treats guests like royalty”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

My husband and I recently spent a week at KBR with a group of (mostly) divers from California. We traveled to Lembeh to experience the unique "muck" diving for which Lembeh Strait is famous. The diving did not disappoint. The bonus was the first class treatment we received at the resort.

The suites are charming and comfortable. Resort staff, who are uniformly friendly, gracious, and eager to please, bent over backwards to fulfill every request. Kitchen staff baked 5 individual birthday cakes for our group.

Dive staff provided concierge dive services. Once our gear was set up to our specifications, we didn't have to lift a finger again. They were always available to help snorkelers or divers who wanted to forego boat diving and just explore the beautiful house reef.

The dive guides have super-human vision and are exceptional at spotting minute (1/4") creatures that blend into the background.

The dive and resort management are focused on providing the best guest experience possible. They succeeded!

Thanks for a wonderful week!

Room Tip: I recommend any of the cottages. Once our air conditioning was fixed, 3-A was delightful.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Nanaimo, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We just returned from our second trip to Kungkungan Bay Resort for 16 days, and they have surpassed our expectations from last year.

The staff are incredibly friendly, helpful and they do anything they can to make your stay first class. If there is something you would like to eat which is not on their extensive menu, all you have to do is ask, and they will make it for you. The hotel managers Linda Ais and Berry really go out of their way to ensure that you have everything you need or want, and we really appreciated their hospitality.

The dive team is first class, and everything is put on the boat for you for every dive, and they strive to find whatever creature you want to see - they even found the elusive blue ring octopus for us twice, which was something we have always wanted to see. The outgoing dive managers Kai and Barb were great with advice and information, and thanks to Barb, she gave me some tips for my camera settings which greatly improved my underwater pictures. The new dive manager Stefan was also very helpful and friendly, and he will be a good addition to the staff.

The rooms are very comfortable and large, and we enjoyed many hours relaxing on our balcony enjoying the serenity of the resort. WIFI is available throughout the resort and we enjoyed using it in our room or on the balcony.

Everything was excellent - the food, the rooms, especially the staff and of course the diving. We will definitely go back, as we have not found another dive resort we have been to in SE Asia or the Caribbean which even comes close.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

My wife, daughter and I had looked forward to this trip for months eagerly checking out the different reviews written about this resort. Almost every review we read rated the resort very high and now we know why. The staff at KBR impressed us every single day we were there. The extra care and service they provided made you feel as if you were extremely important to them and that they valued you as a guest. The food was excellent, the staff was great, and the attention we received was amazing. We were also very impressed with the cabins as well as the dive staff that took great care of us each day.
Thanks for a great vacation KBR!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Paid a half day hit-and-run visit to Kungkungan. After one dive and a meal we left impressed by the quality of management of the resort and, of course, the beauty and versatility of Lembeh Strait as a destination for some truly unique diving experiences. Thanks for taking such good care of us!

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

My husband and I just returned from KBR resort after spending a week here with 4 of our friends. We have been living in SE Asia and diving here for the past 14 years and we have to say that this is the best dive resort with have been with, hands down. The people who work together to make this resort happen is what makes this a very unique experience in SE Asia. The hospitality of the staff is outstanding (unlike any we have had anywhere in SE Asia) and they are all so friendly and pleasant! The dive sites are all within 15 minutes of the resort and the dive guides are all unbelievable, if you are looking for something in particular you write it on the whiteboard and they will do their best to make it happen! Fresh towels, fruit and water when you come up from every dive and your times, depths and dive site name are recorded after each dive so you get a print out of your dive record when you leave. The house reef also offers great diving available throughout the day for unlimited diving. The beachfront bungalows are spacious and lots of room for camera gear, they have great views and super quiet and peaceful for sleeping. We were too busy diving to enjoy the spa but did use the pool a few times which has great views of the Lembeh strait. In addition to the camera room which is equipped with many, many charging stations and places to clean and change your camera gear. Barb and Kai who manage the resort are super helpful and will help trouble shoot any problem you are having (my SPG face broke and they leant me a loaner for the week, with out any hesitation.) The food is amazing, too! A huge menu to choose from with a variety of western, asian and local delights available. My husband was addicted to the pulled pork and I could't get enough of the local grilled spicy fish! All and all a top notch resort you can miss!!!! We are already looking to book our trip back next year.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Have just returned from a week's diving in Lembeh where we stayed at KBR. I can report that the resort's glowing reputation is fully justified. Neither of us can remember being in a better dive resort. This place is all about the people and we were bowled over by the welcome and hospitality we received.

If there are any divers who require a detailed overview of the diving then feel free to pm me. In short, the diving is excellent, almost universally within five minutes of the dock and takes place in flat calm seas. Surface intervals are taken on shore (along with tea, biscuits, fruit etc) and these give you a chance to consult the ID books to actually put a name to some of the more bizarre things you will see. The dive guides have excellent eyes and will point to stuff under your nose that you'll have missed. They work hard to find the exotica and with the boat crews are a very professional outfit.

Food at the resort comes from a menu with an extraordinarily broad remit and caters to European, local, American and Japanese tastes. It's good, solid fare, nothing too flashy and there's always enough of it. Staff in the restaurant are charm on a stick as are the managers Kaj and Bar.

Everything works here. Doubtless there are resorts with a slightly slicker feel but our room (T8) was large, airy and had a great view. To be honest, we spent so much time diving that we didn't even venture near the pool or spa but they both look fine.

The thing that sets KBR apart I think is the efforts that are made to help. I was struggling with my camera and its new macro lens. Barbara spent a good while with me offering tips on how best to set it up and then followed me for an hour underwater reviewing shots "live" and showing me how to better go about shooting the various critters we came across. The effects were instant. All this attention, no charge.

There is a culture of genuinely friendly and helpful service at KBR and the people we met were an absolute delight. Top, top place.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Just got back from a week at Kungkungan Bay. This was our first time in Lembeh and Sulawesi.
Firstly the diving was excellent and although not all dive guides are dive masters they are extremely experienced. All dives were within a 15 minute boat ride which made it seem more like a live-aboard than any other place we had been.
Our room was very large, spotlessly clean and had a TV and mini bar. The water was always hot and our drinking water was replenished endlessly. Food in the restaurant was great and the portions were huge. We really could not manage the 3 courses for lunch and dinner, especially after the breakfast enchilada!
Service was second to non and sometimes might have been a little too attentive. You only had to put your fork down and your plate was whisked away. All staff were very friendly and nothing was too much trouble.
I am not a diver so in the day had the resort pretty much to myself. If you don't dive be prepared with plenty of books as other than the spa and swimming pool there is nothing much to do but dive. That was fine by me as I'm happy entertaining myself... having my own private resort was pretty blissful.
If I had to suggest anything I'd ask that the dive guides are a little more hands off ( my husband thought they handled the critters a bit too much) and that water refills were offered rather than giving me fresh plastic bottles every day.
Other than that I'd highly recommend it to anyone wanting a stunning holiday in a beautiful environment.

Room Tip: T8 is huge and way from it all. The hilltop looked fabulous.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Kungkungan Bay Resort? Share your experiences!