Have just returned from a week's diving in Lembeh where we stayed at KBR. I can report that the resort's glowing reputation is fully justified. Neither of us can remember being in a better dive resort. This place is all about the people and we were bowled over by the welcome and hospitality we received.
If there are any divers who require a detailed overview of the diving then feel free to pm me. In short, the diving is excellent, almost universally within five minutes of the dock and takes place in flat calm seas. Surface intervals are taken on shore (along with tea, biscuits, fruit etc) and these give you a chance to consult the ID books to actually put a name to some of the more bizarre things you will see. The dive guides have excellent eyes and will point to stuff under your nose that you'll have missed. They work hard to find the exotica and with the boat crews are a very professional outfit.
Food at the resort comes from a menu with an extraordinarily broad remit and caters to European, local, American and Japanese tastes. It's good, solid fare, nothing too flashy and there's always enough of it. Staff in the restaurant are charm on a stick as are the managers Kaj and Bar.
Everything works here. Doubtless there are resorts with a slightly slicker feel but our room (T8) was large, airy and had a great view. To be honest, we spent so much time diving that we didn't even venture near the pool or spa but they both look fine.
The thing that sets KBR apart I think is the efforts that are made to help. I was struggling with my camera and its new macro lens. Barbara spent a good while with me offering tips on how best to set it up and then followed me for an hour underwater reviewing shots "live" and showing me how to better go about shooting the various critters we came across. The effects were instant. All this attention, no charge.
There is a culture of genuinely friendly and helpful service at KBR and the people we met were an absolute delight. Top, top place.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kungkungan Bay Resort (KBR to its friends and soon to be friends) is proud to be the resort that introduced Lembeh Strait to the world. Being the first resort in Lembeh means we got first choice on locations. Our resort is located in its own private bay which the resort is named after. KBR is the only Sea Level Luxury resort in Lembeh. KBR is a full service resort which includes The only 24hrs full menu service Restaurant in Lembeh, Capt. Billy's Bar serving American Bar Food and Great Drinks, our full service Tepi Laut Spa (Seaside Spa) does Massages, Beauty Treatments, Manicures and Pedicures, and of course our PADI Dive Center with Equipment and Camera Rentals and 32% NITROX. Come join us and we will put the Dream into you next Dive Vacation ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Otel so you can book your Kungkungan Bay Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kungkungan Bay Hotel Bitung
- Kungkungan Bay Resort Bitung, Indonesia - Sulawesi