“The place has improved somewhat, and the diving is still great!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bastianos Lembeh Diving Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bitung
Bastianos Lembeh Diving Resort
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Lembeh Island, Bitung, Indonesia   |
Ranked #5 of 6 hotels in Bitung
Singapore
“The place has improved somewhat, and the diving is still great!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

I was at this resort in 2010, and I should say that as far as the resort itself is concerned, there are lots of improvement. There are some additions, like a bar at the pool (although it was not manned when I was there, since there were few occupants). There is more buzz, I see more staff members busying themselves around. I had initially asked for 2 cottages without air-conditioning, but they were turned on when my team arrived, my novice diver friends wanted it on and I wanted it off, so I requested at the front desk to turn off the air-conditioning for one cottage - it was done with no questions asked, and I was not charged for it. The food is not 5-star, but is good. There is a free flow of hot drinks and water. Soft drinks and beer is available. You can bring your own wine, and they will provide you with proper glassware (but I think they don't have champagne flutes), and no corkage.

Only a few of the administrative staff remained from my last visit, and most of the dive crew are still around. The diving is still great, and still unique. I had a couple of new divers with me, and they were treated well and enjoyed their dives, which is what I think is important. Excellent value for the price we paid.

Room Tip: The fan in the room is usually sufficient; so asking for just the fan can save some cost.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

66 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Indonesian first
Randburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

Many thanks to Steven and all the staff for a fabulous week.
The meals were great and tremendous effort made to provide for a vegetarian. The boats, crew and gear were well organised and guides well trained to create pleasurable photo dives.
They are sharp eyed and easily point out critters that I would have gone past - mainly because I never knew they even existed!
The standard room that I stayed in (dislike air con) was more than sufficient with a view over the water (for mid afternoon dolphin spotting)

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Bangkok
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

It's good to have my holiday here; however, I haven't been diving for 7 years. The diving staff there helped my alot to accommodate myself under the sea. The diving instructor named Naan is quite good in finding things under the sea to show you. If you have chance, try to get him accompany with you. My favourite dive site is Angle's windows where I can see a couple of Pigmy seahorses, eel gardens, a family of Halloquins, boxing shrimps, boxing craps, plus mantis shrimps, etc.
The staff are friendly and cheerfully to help you in everything.

Room Tip: Try to get a cottage facing on the back of the resort. It is more peaceful than in the ones in the f...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Jakarta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

This is may second visit to Bastianos. The rooms underwent renovations, some still have underperformed AC. Staffs are friendly, divemasters know their way around. Good value for the money you spent, as it includes return airport transfer, accomodations, meals and boat dives, super great location. Tip: never expect 5-star quality, but for the price I pay, I'd say they deliver.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Pamplona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

We stayed a couple of days after taking the boat from Manado. The hotel is located just in front of a warm water beach and you can sleep with the sound of the waves crashing since the rooms are "on the beach". We did some diving and it was amazing, I HIGHLY recommend bringing with you some cookies to feed the fishes and your experience will be supreme. The hotel it self is not very fancy, but it has a great wifi ;) and you can take a good beer after a day of diving reading your online papers.

The rooms don't have AC, at least ours and they are small bungalows.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

This was my second visit to Bastianos Lembeh in 6 months. This time I went with a couple of friends. The room assigned to me this time had better air-conditioning. It worked well and was not as noisy as a motor-boat engine so I had quality sleep every night.

Down side of this visit was the resort manager has left. Staff was running on their own. There was a couple of times I was seeking assistance at the Reception but nobody was there.

Since I had been there before, I requested Stephen to be our guide this time. He was always friendly and attentive. And of course managed to show us a lot of critters underwater. Our dives were mostly over an hour but one of my friends found it too long so I told Stephen 50-60 minutes was good enough.

Staff in the restaurant was very friendly too. They all remembered me. Food was still the same. Adequate is the word to describe. With the increase in rate since April 2011, they now provided free soft drinks during meals but we did not know until check-out when the receptionist told us.

One of my friends was not very happy as she never got her permit tag. As a matter of fact, the three of us did not get ours on arrival. We strongly requested for one as we planned to return in 2011. They only gave 2 tags to us on the last day but there were three of us. Explanation given to my friend who did not get hers was that an American guest who left earlier lost his and requested the resort to give him another one as souvenir. And they gave him the one which was supposed to belong to my friend. I would say this was not right. Each diver paid for one permit. If they lost their tag, they should pay for another one but not take another one which other diver paid for.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Majorca, Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

We spent now one week at the Bastianos Lembeh after having been one week in Bunaken before (see my report on Living Colours Resort). I should mention that this was our fourth trip to Lembeh. After three times at the Lembeh resort and their last rise in prices we looked for a cheaper resort though.
The Bastianos seemed to be a good choice as it was improving after a change in management according to previous trip advisor resorts . And for 50% of the package rate of the truly excellent Lembeh Resort we were prepared to face a simpler resort standard. So we arrived happily in Lembeh and at first glance it seemed to fullfill our expectations: nice bungalows, only 10 of them, all overlooking the sea, a nice restaurant and pool area and smiling staff.

Anyhow, we soon discovered the reasons why this resort will never make it to a top rating – there is no manager around! The resort is owned by a Chinese company, the owner lives somewhere in Manado but never shows up, the last manager left and the staff is now running the resort by themselves. That could work with well trained employees but that´s the weak point at Bastianos Lembeh: they do not have any training! Everybody tried somehow to fullfill what they thought were our expectations but without any real knowledge. We did not care so much for the food (which was basic but okay) or amendities (power failure nearly every afternoon, multiple internet breakdowns) or staff (helpless when a group of Americans thought they booked a party destination instead of a diving resort and partied all nights long/ room cleaning did not include the shower where we found a thick bunch of hair in the sink) but had a closer look on the diving offered.

Nitrox was not available due to a broken compressor, staff did not know how to assemble the oxygen bottle in case of a diving accident, gear was assembeld wrongly and the boat captains had no idea how to pick up people drifting in the current as they had no mooring line or rope to help people getting close to the boat. Our guide initially thought had he will succeed in behaving more like an entertainer from Bali than a serious diveguide. Much talking but running out of air after 50 minutes! Telling us three times like little school-children not to be late for the afternoon dive and be asleep and have us waiting for him for 20 minutes!

Lack of training and knowledge how to run a resort and dive center is the key that prevents Bastianos Lembeh from beeing a unique 3*** resort. Furthermore, it seems that the owners are not interested to even maintain the already poor standard of the resort (washing basins old and rosty, generators needed to be improved, nitrox compressor broken down, essential boat equipment missing and dive guides have to freeze in their thin 3mm suits). They even save on small essential things such as a bedside table lamp (we just had one naked bulb in the ceiling) or hangers (two plastic hangers was the total we found in the wardrobe).

If you just come for the diving and are an experienced diver who does not really depend on a guide, than Bastianos Lembeh is a good alternative to the very upmarket Lembeh Hills and Lembeh resorts. But compared to Living Colours resort in Bunaken, where we paid exactley the same money, Bastianos Lembeh is lacking in every respect. Shame , that the owners don´t realise that they could turn the resort into a real nice boutique hotel as it has the potential.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Bastianos Lembeh Diving Resort? Share your experiences!