“Very nice but not outstanding....” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 26 restaurants in Cleckheaton
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: High class restaurant and piano bar with a contemporary theme with a varied menu of modern British cuisine ,any dietary requirements can be catered please inform us when you book.
Halifax, United Kingdom
“Very nice but not outstanding....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Had a pleasant meal here, it wasn’t top notch 5 star but very good. Food was fine and the staff were very attentive. Only negative was it was a bit cool and I swapped seats with my partner so she was closer to the radiator! Will probably return at some point in the future but not at the top of my list.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

86% Recommend
Cleckheaton, United Kingdom
“Great, again.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Love the House, the food, the wine and the service all excell. It is at a price point where you're tresting yourself but it's worth saving up for.
The menu has changed since my last visit and new dishes were all good.
The chef can cook a steak to perfection.

Can't fault it, I'll be back.

Mirfield
“Sunday Lunch”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I am surprised that this restaurant receives so many Five star reviews. We visited for a 2.00pm Lunch booking to find the Restaurant empty apart from a table obviously occupied by a party of close friends of the owners.
The menu was pretty average with nothing particularly shouting out. I ordered Yorkshire pudding starter followed by traditional Roast Pork.
The Yorkshire Pudding was warm and soggy, not crisp at all, served on a cold plate.
The Pork was dry and not particularly appetising. It was served again on a cold plate and the apple sauce was missing.
My wife ordered a starter which included a Bread Muffin which was old and dry.

I felt a lot of effort had gone into the Decor and overall modern appearance but this alone does not make a Restaurant. The food is the Primary reason why customers will travel miles to a restaurant for and unless the owners appreciate this they will I am afraid suffer the results.

Shame.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Outstanding meal and superb value for money.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

We love eating out in Leeds and to find a local place that beats the vast majority of city centre restaurants in both price and quality is a real find indeed. The aptly named 'stunning goose rillette' was a superb starter while the duck breast from the specials board was perfectly cooked and will live long in the memory! I can't really remember what my partner had as I was so engrossed in my own food but it was some vegetarian starter and probably a fish main?! We bought a half bottle of muscat to go with the cheese board and it was truly sensational. If you've never had muscat then I urge you to try it as soon as you can. The only (minor) gripe we have was that the main was served almost immediately after we finished the starter but as the whole place was really busy I suppose it's better than waiting too long for our food to arrive. Overall, a very memorable evening and compares favourably to Kendall's in Leeds which is my favourite restaurant.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Leeds, United Kingdom
“A little pocket of heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

We seem to be using the The House for special occasions, it's prices are on the high side. The prices are well matched by the standard of food. I had fish and my partner had steak, both good size portion and melt in the mouth. Drinks options just round the evening off. I feel I could ask for anything and get it. The new open cocktail area makes the place feel much better, and a cosy place to sit and watch the staff work well together. Sight of the chef, who's not looking for applause, was a welcome sight and the owner may pop a new staff member at any time. Well done for this little pocket of heaven.

• Visited January 2013