“Perfect place to get away!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Monterey Del Mar Hotel

Save Saved
You added Monterey Del Mar Hotel to your Saves list
Monterey Del Mar Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   West End of Air Strip | Canton Parrita, Provincia Puntarenas, Esterillos Este 6300, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #4 of 5 hotels in Esterillos Este
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Perfect place to get away!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

I stayed at the Monterey Del Mar Hotel with my family in mid-October 2011. It was a great place to get away from all the busyness from work and life in the US and enjoy the simple life in Costa Rica. The staff is very friendly, the food and drinks were amazing and the room was clean and relaxing.

After we arrived in San Jose we had a really enjoyable drive to the resort on the Pacific coast. We saw a lot amazing wildlife like alligators, lizards, and even leaf cutter ants marching down the road!

I'm looking forward to staying at the Monterey Del Mar Hotel again during my next trip to Costa Rica.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

100 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2011

I just returned from a week long vacation with my family in Costa Rica and stayed 4 nights at the Monterey Del Mar Hotel. The staff was very friendly and the food and drinks were outstanding. The room was simple and clean. We went on a zip line and ATV tour that the front desk helped us arranged and those were amazing! I'd come back and stay here anytime and I'm looking forward to my next trip to Costa Rica.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

My friend and i just got back from this hotel a couple days ago, a few things you should know is that its about 2hrs from san jose airport. which means you can either rent a car with a $1000 deposit or get a taxi driver to drive you for about $100 + tip.
When we checked in the person at the front desk wasn't exactly friendly and didn't say anything to us, he just gave us the key to the villa and pointed in the direction to go, ... no smiles, no offer to help us with our bags.. which after 7hrs of travelling wasn't exactly what we had expected.
The actual grounds of the hotel are absolutely beautiful and have been well maintained, we got villa 108 which I think had the best view of the beach and was also close to the pool and restaurant. It was a cosy little villa which had maids come to clean each day.
The restaurant is open aired and they provide you with an inclusive bfast. The one person who was actually friendly with us was the bartender Karla, she helped us with transportation and info about the area. Besides Karla there is a neighboring resort called Alma, the front desk receptionist there was extremely helpful and their customer service was exceptional! we booked our tours through them rather than our own hotel because of their friendliness and willingness to help us out!
We do refer this hotel because of its beauty and its a great place to get away from the towns and tourists but be aware that the customer service needs to improve alot!!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Louisville, Kentucky
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2011

a beautiful looking hotel, and a beautiful view of the beach if you didnt go out and see all the trash on the beach. But the room was not for sleeping without a mask to screen out the mold and mildew even after airing it out for three hours with the door and patio doors open. The maintenance guy did come and check the a/c remote control, but not the air filters, which I pulled out later and scrapped the gunk out of that must have been accumulating for many months. Both I and my spouse came down with URI one day after leaving there and I can still recall too easily how the air smelled for the long two nights. Only on other guest was in this large hotel and she was on the internet trying to get other lodgings. But a beautiful looking place.

Room Tip: go six mile to the Jaco area
  • Stayed April 2011
Sarchi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

I'm a CR resident and have stayed at other, simpler places in Esterillos but friends visiting wanted something more upscale, and the website looked gorgeous. Expensive, but they offered 33% discount if you stayed 3 nights. We took the "presidential" suite, which would better be called the "Family" suite, as there really wasn't much "Presidential" about it. It didn't have a coffee maker, the curtain rod broke when I tried to close the sheers, the AC units were noisy. However, the beds and linens were excellent quality.
I like this stretch of beach because it is long, flat and you can walk forever. And hardly any people, even on weekends. As other reviewers have also said, strong rip currents so not a swimming beach.
It wasn't awful, by any means, just very ho-hum and not the value for money I'd expected. BUT when when we checked out the guy at the desk - who said he was the manager -wasn't going to honor the discount, as he said that only applied if you made your reservation a month in advance! We had him pull up the website, showed him the offer, and pointed out there was no mention of that. I told him we were prepared to wash dishes! He eventually caved, but it was one last annoying thing that further spoiled the visit.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
McAllen, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2011

We spent a week there and used the rental car daily to drive to our tourist sites and also just plain drive around the countryside. It was spectacular. I was sad to see any poor reviews here because the pool was quite properly clean the whole time, even after one day when a storm came through. The gardens were so well taken care of I tipped the gardener a month's pay for the joy... (thought he was gonna hug me or faint). The Tican breakfast is perfect to start a day with some of the most wonderful coffee I ever tasted (we have this sent to us every 3 months now so we get Costa Rican coffee daily here in US). With the exception of one person at the desk, everyone was super helpful. Once we got to know the fellow, he really warmed up and helped us a lot. Great swimming, just do the shuffle so the stringrays get out of your way.

Room Tip: go during summer when there are fewer people
  • Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Quepos, Costa Rica
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2011

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for one night. In general, our first impression was of a typical 'canned' resort type experience. Dinner in the restaurant was good. Breakfast was standard fare. The gardens are extensive and well maintained. The staff seemed impersonal and somewhat jaded. All in all a typical mix of good and bad.

But two things happened that really killed the experience for us:

The first was finding lipstick on a coffee cup at breakfast, and, going back to the buffet, not being able to find one that was really clean.

The other was far worse. In the swimming pool after breakfast, I found semen floating in the water. Yes, left overs from some nighttime hanky-panky. I jumped out of the pool and we checked out. I was disgusted.

BTW, one other thing that my wife noticed - the property is only separated from the beach by a low wall with open access to the rooms. Anyone can get on the grounds. The rooms, (which are nice), only have single locks without deadbolts. There was a lot of evidence of people having tried to jimmy the latch to our room in the past.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Monterey Del Mar Hotel? Share your experiences!