“Back in a Heartbeat” 5 of 5 stars
Review of ClubHotel RIU Jalisco

Save Saved
You added ClubHotel RIU Jalisco to your Saves list
ClubHotel RIU Jalisco
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av.de los Cocoteros, sn-Lote K, 63732, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Special Offer
Ranked #50 of 81 hotels in Riviera Nayarit
East St Paul, Manitoba
“Back in a Heartbeat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

This is our third year in a row at the Riu Jalisco and it just keeps getting better. We travelled with four other friends and family, two of whom had never been there before and they just loved everything about the resort. Our stay was from 16Feb2014 to 02March2014. The food, service, rooms, grounds and beach were all great. Did not even have to go to the al a cartes because the buffets were exceptional. There are of course a few odd Canadians and Americans that are extremely picky about everything, they expect everything to taste like Mcdonald, Pizza Hut, Burger King or even KFC. There are so many tasty choices at the Riu that I really don't know how any reasonable human being could complain.

All of the waiters where extremely attentive,friendly and very hard working. We had a lot of fun with Marcus and Evan(the nameless waiter). Marcus made our last supper very special with flowers and champagne.

Gloria the water aerobic instructor did a fantastic job keeping everyone laughing in the pool and made the workout really enjoyable.

Both day and evening entertainment was great and a lot of fun. My only advice for the evening entertainment is that the live band must be floor level with the audience as this will promote a lot of dancing and more people would stay to listen to the good bands that you have. Last year the band was floor level and it made a huge difference in the amount of people that stayed to watch and dance. This year the band was on the balcony and as soon as the normal evening show ended approximately 75% of the people left as there was also no place to dance and it was very difficult to see the band where they are located. It's almost like you are just listing to taped music. You have very good bands so please let people enjoy them more like you did last year when there were three standing ovations each night when the band was floor level.

Len & Angie Zaparniuk
East St Paul, Manitoba

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

2,923 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

Traveled from Marched 9-16. Would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone!

Food:
Food was okay. Hated the overcooked dried meat & the drinks were inconsistent (dependent on bartender - either too sweet/too bland/too much alcohol). Was never told that no reso was needed for the mexican a la carte. Which ended up being the best out of all the buffets for meat. Breakfast was the best & lunch was the worst meal of the day. Wish they had a poolside food bar. No drink servers by the pool. Wish there was music on the left pool for kids.

Rooms:
My bf & I were given 2 double twin size beds but we asked for a king. Reception told us that they could move the beds together & put a layer on top so we can't feel the space in between. Went to the room & disliked it because it made no difference. Asked for another room & manager gave us an ok. Both of the rooms were on floor 3 & we got a king. Everything looks clean but the smell of the room was terrible. It was moldy & we had the A/C & fans on. The first night we had just the white bed sheets to sleep with when I called & asked for a thicker blanket. They asked if we had a blue blanket which I had said no but they ended up bringing the "white blankets" which were thin like the bed sheets. We were told the thicker blankets should be in the closet but there was none. Too be honest I don't think the room was ready yet. We were given blue blankets the next day when room service came. Dislike how they don't put garbage bags into the garbage cans. We saw blood in the garbage cans & on the door knobs. Disgusting. Now let's get to the bed. Gross! In the morning we were both wet like we had sweated. Which never happened. The bed itself was like a sponge. Trapping previous sweat of whoever stayed on the bed and resurfaced to the sheets and pillows in the middle of the night. This happened every night so we called room service to change the bed. It took 30 min to 1 hour for room service to arrive. I would like to go to bed. This happened every night & with the A/C & fan on; I found it cold at night. So no sweating occurred. Now, the room service was inconsistent depending on the maid. Some would change everything & some would reuse the same pillows & blankets. How do I know, well by the smell of the damp moldiness from the morning. Hence, the daily room service call at night to ensure they've changed the sheets. Water bottles were never restocked. Cups were never changed because of the stain on the cups. There were always bugs in the room and we never left the balcony door opened.

Service:
There are lots of families and older couples staying at the resort so we felt that the staff catered to these people more. Never had good service at the a la cartes/buffets/bars & when booking the a la carte this 1 lady would always give us the latest time slot possible to allow the families & elderly choose the better time slots. How do I know this because I was in the front of the line when waiting to book the reservations. That 1 lady was so unfair & she was the 1 we dealt with for our rooms when we first arrived. Terrible service. However, this younger man was more fair & honest with our time slots when booking reservations. Now we did tip when we are given good service (which only happened once at the steakhouse). When I receive good service then they deserve it but it shouldn't be given just to be provided with good service.
Also, there are a lot of locals who stay at this hotel.

Overall:
Loved the decor & reno but the appearance of the resort is extremely deceiving for the price you pay. It was like they just painted over the moldy layer of the walls & so the rooms still stunk of fungi. Hated how there were no clocks in the resort/rooms. I've stayed at royal Solaris in Los Cabos & my experience there was amazing compared to this expensive lousy resort. Maybe it's because riu is so big that they can't cater to everyone properly. We expected better than this. Oh well, It was our first time staying here & it will be our very last.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Battle Ground, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

We have stayed at the Riu palace in Cabo and based off of our amazing experience there, we thought it would be the same at this Riu Jalisco, sadly to say that was not the case at all! From the time of check in to check out our room smelt very bad, there was mold spots. We complained and they said they could change us rooms the next day, the room was better but still very small and beds are super hard. The maid service didn't change are sheets or clean,they just made your bed. We had to ask to get our bed sheets changed. They don't restock your beverages every day, which I think is important since we need bottled water in hot weather. We had no hot water in the shower the 10 days we were there, they did nothing to fix it. The food was horrible! We got sick almost every night. Stay away from there sushi and fish. The lines to the buffets were crazy, it's like a bunch of push and shove to get food, like a big feeding frenzy. We felt like we had to be on a schedule the entire vacation cause open and closing times. The reservations for there restaurants you have be in line at 8am to get maybe 1 reservation for 2 days out, and stand in line for a hour and a half. Who wants to that on there vacation? Everything there is one big waiting game. The service was horrible. No one to seat you, your lucky if u get someone to assist you with beverages. The alcohol is watered down, my husband looked at the labels on the alcohol bottles in the room dispensers and they all said 2012 and 2013. At the rate they go threw booze there is no way there would be anything over a month old. They have NO room service they have a fridge in sports bar if u want food after dinner time full of hot dogs and hamburgers and rotten fruit. Which we did not want to eat, in fear of getting sick again. To get good food we went into Puerto Vallarta and ate. The town is beautiful big malacon a lot of shops and good restaurants. That was the highlight of our vacation. The grounds at the Riu jalisco were beautiful. But unfortunately that was the only good thing. And you only get 90min of wifi in the lobby a day. Otherwise you have to buy it. For a Riu hotel this was the worst ever. We will never stay here again and do not recommend this place to anyone.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Kingston, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014 via mobile

Stayed one week during March 2014. Found huge dead bug in shower on arrival and another dead on floor mid stay. Something gave three people in our group terrible a terrible rash. Doctor back home says it was probably detergent used in bedding. One woman's hand swelled up so bad the all inclusive bracelet was digging into her skin. She asked front desk staff to cut it off and put it on her other less swollen wrist. They refused. The bed in my room was missing a leg. I had to sleep on one side only or the bed would tilt. I asked for it to be fixed. It was not. When I touched the shower fixture apparatus it fell off the wall. I asked for it to be fixed. It was not. We basically had to shower with a garden hose for a week. The beach smells and the water was murky. The food was really good at the buffet but if you want a la carte you have to line up a 7am and wait until they start taking reservations at 8 am. Even then you can only book one dinner 48hrs in advance. You can also bribe your way into the a la carte if you prefer to make your own rules. 50 pesos did the trick for more than one guest that I spoke with. The internet is ok for basic emails but far too slow to send any pictures home. You can only use it once every 24hrs and only on the lobby. You have to pay extra if you want more. I had to ask for new bedding when our two year old threw up in the middle of the night. It never came so we made do with what we had. I asked again after breakfast and left 50 pesos on the bed. I was ready to give the resort a Luke warm rating until checkout. At checkout they wouldn't call me a cab until I gave the 500 pesos for soiled bedding. For some baby barf they wanted 500 pesos! I asked them to consider the broken shower and broken bed in my room and suggested we call it even. Sorry Senor I can't change it on my computer system and I cant call you a cab until checkout is complete. Lol. Rather than check out a Mexican jail I paid the bum and got in my cab. Don't get me wrong. We had a nice time and met lots of friendly people. Our group was pretty salt of the earth and easy to please. I just expected more than a 2 star experience. The Rio chain won't see another nickel from me. .

• Stayed March 2014
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

This was my second time at the Riu Jalisco, we stayed there a few years ago, we loved it then and we loved it this time (although I think I liked the décor better before they renovated, the purple is a little much!) I have to give a big shout out to Martin who is, in my opinion, the best bartender in Mexico! I have been to several resorts all over Mexico and Martin is by far the best I have come across, loved his "magic shooters" he has such a great sense of humor and his customer service skills are awesome! I found all the staff to be very friendly and helpful, and the sunsets from the beach are incredible, the place is kept spotless and the food is fantastic. WE would go back again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Detroit, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

You would think that when you are paying an arm and a leg for a hotel room, you should be able to have a friend over for a nightcap, right? Not at this place! They are rude, arrogant, and in no way considerate of their guests. ESPECIALLY, do not even THINK of bringing a girl here. they have no provision for day passes, or anything of the sort. Bad experience, and will never sty here again. STAY AWAY!!

Room Tip: Anywhere but here.