“A big let down” 2 of 5 stars
Review of ClubHotel RIU Jalisco

Save Saved
You added ClubHotel RIU Jalisco to your Saves list
ClubHotel RIU Jalisco
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av.de los Cocoteros, sn-Lote K, 63732, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Best Fall Getaway
Ranked #50 of 81 hotels in Riviera Nayarit
Battle Ground, Washington
“A big let down”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

We have stayed at the Riu palace in Cabo and based off of our amazing experience there, we thought it would be the same at this Riu Jalisco, sadly to say that was not the case at all! From the time of check in to check out our room smelt very bad, there was mold spots. We complained and they said they could change us rooms the next day, the room was better but still very small and beds are super hard. The maid service didn't change are sheets or clean,they just made your bed. We had to ask to get our bed sheets changed. They don't restock your beverages every day, which I think is important since we need bottled water in hot weather. We had no hot water in the shower the 10 days we were there, they did nothing to fix it. The food was horrible! We got sick almost every night. Stay away from there sushi and fish. The lines to the buffets were crazy, it's like a bunch of push and shove to get food, like a big feeding frenzy. We felt like we had to be on a schedule the entire vacation cause open and closing times. The reservations for there restaurants you have be in line at 8am to get maybe 1 reservation for 2 days out, and stand in line for a hour and a half. Who wants to that on there vacation? Everything there is one big waiting game. The service was horrible. No one to seat you, your lucky if u get someone to assist you with beverages. The alcohol is watered down, my husband looked at the labels on the alcohol bottles in the room dispensers and they all said 2012 and 2013. At the rate they go threw booze there is no way there would be anything over a month old. They have NO room service they have a fridge in sports bar if u want food after dinner time full of hot dogs and hamburgers and rotten fruit. Which we did not want to eat, in fear of getting sick again. To get good food we went into Puerto Vallarta and ate. The town is beautiful big malacon a lot of shops and good restaurants. That was the highlight of our vacation. The grounds at the Riu jalisco were beautiful. But unfortunately that was the only good thing. And you only get 90min of wifi in the lobby a day. Otherwise you have to buy it. For a Riu hotel this was the worst ever. We will never stay here again and do not recommend this place to anyone.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

2,923 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
Kingston, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014 via mobile

Stayed one week during March 2014. Found huge dead bug in shower on arrival and another dead on floor mid stay. Something gave three people in our group terrible a terrible rash. Doctor back home says it was probably detergent used in bedding. One woman's hand swelled up so bad the all inclusive bracelet was digging into her skin. She asked front desk staff to cut it off and put it on her other less swollen wrist. They refused. The bed in my room was missing a leg. I had to sleep on one side only or the bed would tilt. I asked for it to be fixed. It was not. When I touched the shower fixture apparatus it fell off the wall. I asked for it to be fixed. It was not. We basically had to shower with a garden hose for a week. The beach smells and the water was murky. The food was really good at the buffet but if you want a la carte you have to line up a 7am and wait until they start taking reservations at 8 am. Even then you can only book one dinner 48hrs in advance. You can also bribe your way into the a la carte if you prefer to make your own rules. 50 pesos did the trick for more than one guest that I spoke with. The internet is ok for basic emails but far too slow to send any pictures home. You can only use it once every 24hrs and only on the lobby. You have to pay extra if you want more. I had to ask for new bedding when our two year old threw up in the middle of the night. It never came so we made do with what we had. I asked again after breakfast and left 50 pesos on the bed. I was ready to give the resort a Luke warm rating until checkout. At checkout they wouldn't call me a cab until I gave the 500 pesos for soiled bedding. For some baby barf they wanted 500 pesos! I asked them to consider the broken shower and broken bed in my room and suggested we call it even. Sorry Senor I can't change it on my computer system and I cant call you a cab until checkout is complete. Lol. Rather than check out a Mexican jail I paid the bum and got in my cab. Don't get me wrong. We had a nice time and met lots of friendly people. Our group was pretty salt of the earth and easy to please. I just expected more than a 2 star experience. The Rio chain won't see another nickel from me. .

• Stayed March 2014
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

This was my second time at the Riu Jalisco, we stayed there a few years ago, we loved it then and we loved it this time (although I think I liked the décor better before they renovated, the purple is a little much!) I have to give a big shout out to Martin who is, in my opinion, the best bartender in Mexico! I have been to several resorts all over Mexico and Martin is by far the best I have come across, loved his "magic shooters" he has such a great sense of humor and his customer service skills are awesome! I found all the staff to be very friendly and helpful, and the sunsets from the beach are incredible, the place is kept spotless and the food is fantastic. WE would go back again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Detroit, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

You would think that when you are paying an arm and a leg for a hotel room, you should be able to have a friend over for a nightcap, right? Not at this place! They are rude, arrogant, and in no way considerate of their guests. ESPECIALLY, do not even THINK of bringing a girl here. they have no provision for day passes, or anything of the sort. Bad experience, and will never sty here again. STAY AWAY!!

Room Tip: Anywhere but here.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Sarnia, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

Third time back, loved the place for Mexican ambiance. Was like a Spanish Manson. Tile roof, beautiful lobby and eating establishments. But all that that is changed, big makeover. First impression off the bus into the lobby with purple painted walls and purple leather chairs and couches, it looked like I walked into a Strip Joint. Paid for a family room so we would get a larger room. We got a standard room with 3 beds. Loved seeing some great staff members we befriend
over the years. Sorry but the changes were too much, last time for us

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

Ten day stay six in our group. Been at Rius before like the layout all staff and tenders and entertainment too many to mention. These people will be remembered as great . Had an unfortunate incident having to use in house doctor. She came and dealt with my situation and followed up in a professional fashion. We talked to a lot of people that have a fear of medical help in Mexico. Dr. Susara was awesome!!!!!!

Stayed March 2014
Regina, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

We were at the Jalisco in Feb of 2014. This was our second tome there. The rooms were clean, food was great and the staff were going out of their way to ensure the stay was perfect,

The renovations took away all the Mexican ambiance. You got rid of the pictures and the pottery and any other reference to the Mexican cultural that was so much a part of the beauty of the resort.

Since when is purples, blues and silvers part of the colorful history of Mexico, There used to be theme nights at the Jalisco, not now. Even some of the staff are uncomfortable with the changes, because it is not their colors. You even remove the gazebo on the water, no vendors on the promenade, only sellers on the beach.

Sometimes bigger is NOT better.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Been to ClubHotel RIU Jalisco? Share your experiences!