“RIU Jalisco - A Great Place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of ClubHotel RIU Jalisco

Save Saved
You added ClubHotel RIU Jalisco to your Saves list
ClubHotel RIU Jalisco
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Avenida de Los Cocoteros, Sn-Lote K, 63732, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Early Winter Specials
Ranked #51 of 83 Hotels in Riviera Nayarit
Edmonton, Canada
“RIU Jalisco - A Great Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Great Location, even though a little from central Puerto Vallarta, but a great bus ride to and from. Great staff, housekeeping, and great food. Guests from all over the world. Great Activities all day of the week, and good bar service. We strongly recommend. Will be going back again.

Room Tip: With a little extra funding, you can upgrade - Center tower, the higher floor the better, or the Sou...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (342)
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Anyone planning to visit Puerto Vallarta, I would not recommend the Riu Jalisco...
Let's start off with the check in, there is no organization, no lines, and no order, everyone just kind of jumps in and out of lines and if you are not a Spanish speaking person, you are left till the end.
We arrive to the hotel around 4 and try to check in, the lobby was a mad house, people were trying to check in and others were trying to check out... It took over an hour to even talk to someone.
We finally check in and to my surprise, I am handed a key.. YES a real key to lock and unlock my door, and also I key with a lock attached to it for the room safe... I was then told, "If I lose my keys I will be responsible to paying to replace the keys and locks to my room".

Let's move on to the elevator, a 2 by 2 elevator with no ventilation and smells of mold and mildew, having to get on and off that elevator was disgusting.
Once we arrive to our floor and get off the elevator, the area smells of the same mold and mildew. Considering I am staying at the RIU (ok it’s not the Palace) but it’s still a RIU this is disgusting.
We are now in the room, I have to say it was clean, but STILL it smells like old socks, and wet towels. As I look around I notice there is no privacy in the bathroom area, everything is just one open room, except for the toilet area, that had a door... the shower just had a curtain, so when I got out of the shower, I walked out to my 2 boys watching television, this was quite uncomfortable, no private area to change or get dressed. It might have been okay if my kids were under 2, but a 12 year old and an 8 year old do not want to see their mom changing, so we all had to change either in the shower, or take our clothes and change in the toilet room...
Also, we had no working air-condition I called the maintenance 3 times to come and fix it and they told me that its working and this is the coldest it can get in the room due to the hot temperatures outside. I have never heard anything like that in my life; we had to sleep with the ceiling fan on instead on AC.

Let's move on... The food was DISGUSTING... the buffet was always messy, food was everywhere, the dining hall was always dirty. We went down for breakfast one morning, we find an open table, and it had cloth napkins in 3 places on the table, we found that odd and lifted them to see why they were there... They were hiding food stains from the previous families. I don't understand why they didn't just replace the table cloth. Little things like this will determine if you will be returning.
I know I am a little anal with cleanliness and order, but I figure if I am playing good money to go on vacation, I should not have to eat at tables that can't be clean and a food area that is not sanitary and taken care of.
Let's move on to the pool area. I am not a pool person while on vacation, but my boys like to hang there for a little bit before going to the beach. Where do I begin... the pool itself had tiles missing on the floor, the water was murky and felt slimy, and my kids couldn't take it for more than 10 minutes and wanted to leave.
It is now lunch time.... this must have been the worse area of the hotel... The restaurant was Oceanside, so everything is open... We walk to get our lunch, the food area, dining area, is in complete disorder, food is all over the floor, garbage is everywhere, and I can't believe this but there are no covers on anything. Not the fruit, not the salads, not the condiments, nothing is covered. I sat and watched these black crows like looking birds fly in and out of the watermelon plate and step in and out like it was okay, and pick up pieces of fruit and drop it back into the plate and pick up another piece. I don't know about you, but I can't eat after seeing that.
The whole trip we waited till the chef took the food right off the grill or pan and then put it in our plate to eat.

Needless to say, the ocean water was great! The entertainment was okay.
The service was horrible, no one ever said good morning, thank you. We were vacation the same time the locals were vacationing, and maybe this is why there service was not to par, but that is not acceptable. When your source of income is from tourism I feel that you need to be as happy as can be all the time. Overall tried to make the best of the trip for my kids’ sake...
I can only speak for the RIU Jalisco, and its problems, but I am disappointed in how this hotel is kept up that my family and I will not be vacation in any other RIU's and I make note to tell my family and friends as well.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

I would rate this hotel a good stay located in northern Nuevo Vallarta, Nayarit! We stayed here as a group of five families! The staff was good and attentive to our needs. If you have no plans on leaving the hotel, I would highly suggest the "All Inclusive" package. On top of the non stop food and drinks, there are endless activities you can do throughout your trip! One drawback was the tasteless food and alcohol. I'm sure this comes with the territory of eating in a buffet but the eateries in this hotel make very bland food. Also, the drinks tasted very bland as well. We suspect they're watering down a lot of their alcohol to save on expenses. Unfortunately, it was very noticeable. On the up-side, the Brazilian restaurant is one definitely worth trying. Food there was awesome! Overall, this hotel is a good stop for adults, kids and families. The atmosphere was good and catered to all. You know you started your vacation right when they hand you glasses of Sangria from the moment you walk into their check-in lobby!

Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We had a very good experience at Riu Jalisco. Out group consisted of 2 families (8 people total), and the staff made sure we got rooms right next door to each other. Overall, the staff was very attentive and kind, the place was clean and comfortable, and the atmosphere was fun and we felt very safe at the resort. The staff were there to help out with any and all concerns: for example, I needed to get some blood analysis done. They called a lab technician who came out to our hotel, drew my blood, and then brought the results back in person. They only charged us for the actual blood test. It was fantastic (and unexpected) service. The only minor complaint is that the beds are very hard, but we requested extra blankets which helped eliminate the problem.
The food in the buffets was so good that during our 14 day stay, not once did we make restaurant reservations. The selection was well varied, the food was very fresh, and delicious. Our boys went on a fishing trip and caught several mahi mahi. The chef at the buffet kindly prepared it for us at no extra charge.
The beach is really nice, well maintained, with plenty of available lounge chairs. The bars are well stocked and the bartenders will make virtually any drink you want.
The entertainment is fun but not over the top, with plenty of options for different ages. The kids club is also a great place to leave your kids if you want to relax with the adults for a while.
Overall, we loved the hotel and all of the amenities, and will definitely return in the future. The internet in the rooms is not included, but the lobby has free wifi, and you can sometimes even catch the free wifi signal in your room. If you just need to check the occasional email, it's plenty.

Room Tip: We had our room at the very end of the hotel, overlooking the pools and beach, which was beautiful...
Vancouver,WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

We went to this resort in the middle of July (6-14) with a family of 6. The first thing you should know about this place is that it 99.9% filled with local Mexicans. The weekends were the worst. On weekends, huge crowds of locals would arrive in enormous bunches. Most families had 4-6 kids, and were really loud. About half the staff spoke decent English and could understand what you were saying, the other half you had to use a mixture of English, Spanish, and pointing. The resort however was okay. Summer is the time when most locals have long vacations so expect moderate to heavy overcrowding. Some of the resort was however was really nice, he kids pool had three water slides which the kids really enjoyed. You could also borrow boogie boards for the kids to play with (for free). The food at the resort was fairly good but most of the time it was the same. The service could have been better though. Sometimes it seemed that they took away your food too fast. The rooms were old but we were told that they are going to do renovation to the resort in August of 2013. A lot of the things were missing because of the remodeling they were going to do. For a family resort it was okay but there were barely any bathrooms around the resort and no places to change clothes.

Room Tip: If you don't like your room ,ask them to change for better one and they will gladly do that!!!
Santa Rosa, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

6/28/13-7/6/13 We went here with a family of 8 and the price was really inexpensive. The Kids had an Absolut blast. My wife and I thought that the pools were a little crowded and had to much chemicals in them. If you’re an early riser you will avoid all the crowds at the restaurants and pool. Don’t lose your beach towel, it will cost you $25. Also this is a local friendly resort so if you don’t speak Spanish don’t plan on making to many new friends. Overall, the hotel was very clean and well maintained. The staff was super friendly, helpful, and polite, especially Sergio at the front desk. The food was ok. the kids loved the food but my wife and I got tired of it after a few days. The beds are really hard so drink up. There was a lot of noise in the hallways around 10am and 2am. The shows are fairly good, don’t expect a Broadway performance. I would not recommend this Riu but I heard great things about the Palace RIU next door. I think with an update of the rooms and a broader mix of travelers this would be a nice inexpensive place to take the family. I had a good time here overall, but I read the reviews before I went so my expectations were not so high to begin with.

Room Tip: avoid rooms close to the elevator to avoid noise.
Innisfil, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I took my 18 year old son July 4th - July 11th.
First, we arrived at around 12:30pm to a packed lobby of both people checking out waiting for there bus and people arriving waiting for something. Very Confusing and stressful.
Our room wasn't ready but we managed to book a few a la cartes while in the lobby.

There policy is you can book 2 days in advance. Anyways we got our room @ around 2pm.

ROOMS

The room was nice, air worked very well, stocked fridge and liquor dispensor all included.
Our room was ocean view on the 6th floor room #6173.

The actual toilet was seperate from the shower area and sinks which was ok but kinda like a boxed in area which echoed. With my son was fine but not to romantic if you were with a partner.

Maid service was good, always a neat animal of some sort and fresh towels everyday.
I left a tip daily plus chocolates and they were very greatful.

ROOMS.....8/10

POOL / SWIM - UP BAR

So it was quite obvious the resort was filled in the off season with locals, mexicans, which is fine with me I guess except there manors are not quite what we are use to, friendly and say "Hola", but like to bud in line and kinda take over. But the bartenders were actually very quick to find you in a crowd and ask you what u need. (Ok so ask the swim up bar bartender named Cesar for a Dr.Pepper cause he rocks at them now) Super awesome guy...

Because of the large crowds meant the pool water was like soup, but we made do.
ONE SUGESTION TO THE MANAGEMENT OF THE POOL AREA.

I love kids, infact I have 11 of my own, but a adult pool is a adult pool and a kid pool is just that, it does get kinda frusterating getting splashed all the time while trying to enjoy a drink.
PLUS, I understand there's 90% Mexicans at the resort but the staff only made pool announcements in spanish, we would have liked to understand what was being announced.

POOL......8/10

Beach

I'm not really a beach guy but it looks ok, honestly the ocean wasn't a whole lot different from our lake hear in Canada. But the sand was white and there was parasailing everyday for extra $ and like most other places the odd pushy vendor.

BEACH.....7/10

BUFFET

The buffet was great, always a good selection, something different every night, wednesday night was kinda a asian night or something and it was fantastic.

NOTE****Breakfast at the buffet was insanely busy and almost impossible to find a table, but the staff opened up the mexican a la caret and steakhouse a la carte as buffets which helped.

This is where you will notice the difference between our manors and theres. Waiting in line for an omelette people just walk right infront and order when you've been waiting, I don't think they are trying to be rude it's just there upbringing. Patience was used at these times.

BUFFET ...7 / 10

A LA CARTES

Ok so we went to 3 of 4.

The Botana is the steakhouse, it was overlooking the beach which was nice except a little hot, the dinner itslf was ok, we had the ribeye but it was very fatty,
Overall a 5 / 10

The Asian was good, lots of variety, it's buffet style.
Overall a 9 / 10

The Brazillian
I was looking forward to this, I'm a meat lover and had high hopes, I was a little let down here, they brought big squeires? or turkey and chicken but they were still a little pick inside which where i come from is a good way to get salmonella, the pork was ok and the beef was great though.
Overall 5 / 10

We didn't go to the mexican a la carte.

LUNCH

You had a few options, there was the sportsbar where you could get snacks like sandwiches burgers, nachos 24hrs, or the buffet is open for lunch. But the best is the Nataritt Italian Restaurant for lunch, it's kinda like a all day Italian a la carte, fantastic.

Overall 9 / 10

STAFF

The staff were good at answering any questions when needed. There was one girl in particular who was super nice, her name has slipped my mind but she would approach you in the buffet periodically and ask how your stay has been. She really seems to care.
Again wait staff and bartenders are great.

9 / 10

***SPECIAL FYI***

Hotel does NOT accept american money, my 4th time there and first I heard of this, they won't even exchange it for you. Bring pecos or canadian $$$.

Calling cards are available for 200 pecos which is about $18 canadian, BUT when you use it on the resort they charge a $150 connection fee everytime you use it, even if theres no answer.

PLUS VERY IMPPORTANT

NO excursion includes transportation, my son and I were going to ride dunbuggies and it would have cost $190 plus $50 in cabs totaling $240 for 2.5 hrs.

Even to shop you have to take 2 seperate cabs, one to take you to Puerta Vallarta, and one to bring you back, the taxis actually have unions so it's costly to get around.

NICE PLUS

If your at the beach facing the water, go to the right 2 resorts and you will see a resort that looks like steps, infront of that there is a message place that charges $20 an hour and it's great. Thats's a actual message but no happy endings.

THE HOTEL OVERALL

I love Riu's, this was my 3rd, this hotel is a little dated which is why they are closing at the end of August for 3 months to renovate, but it is a nice hotel. We enjoyed our stay but I don't think I would return, I think I would go to the Palace or Riu Vallarta if I returned as they don't seem to overfill there resorts.
Having said that I don't think I will return to PV or Nayarit, it's a long 5 plus hour flight and with excursions and the cab costs it's just to expensive. There are many other less expensive options out there.

OVERALL RATING......3.75 STARS

Room Tip: ask for a ocean view high floor
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to ClubHotel RIU Jalisco? Share your experiences!