“Great Setting, Great Staff, bad food, uncomfortable beds.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of ClubHotel RIU Jalisco

Save Saved
You added ClubHotel RIU Jalisco to your Saves list
ClubHotel RIU Jalisco
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av.de los Cocoteros, sn-Lote K, 63732, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Special Offer
Ranked #50 of 81 hotels in Riviera Nayarit
Greeley, Colorado
“Great Setting, Great Staff, bad food, uncomfortable beds.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

We just returned from RIU Jalisco. It's a beautiful hotel! The staff is really what makes it so great. They are willing to do anything they can to make your stay the best it can be. The pool bar is so much fun and the crowd is always upbeat and talkative. And the beach is amazing. A wonderful, beautiful view. However, there are some bad things... The beds for one are extremely uncomfortable. And the sheets don't fit so they get all tangled up. And the pillows definitely need replacing. The food is also a major down fall. While it's fine the first day, you'll quickly notice that it's the same food at every meal (breakfast, lunch and dinner are all the same food with a different name, every day) and the "special" restaurants that require reservations aren't good at all. They are worse then the main buffet. It gets old VERY quickly. We ended up leaving and going to a nearby town to get dinner our last two nights cause we just couldn't stomach it. We also had a lot of trouble sleeping because of the noise. We were on the second floor and every time the toilet on any of the floors above us flushed we heard it. And we had AWFUL neighbors. They were up being rowdy at all hours and up bright and early the next morning to start all over. Don't get me wrong, this is a great hotel for a traveler on a budget, it's a great environment and we really enjoyed ourselves. And the liquor dispensers in the room are convenient too! We just will be spending the extra money next time to stay somewhere a little nicer. You get what you pay for.

2,955 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
Hamilton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

We had a great time at this resort, our first time here. The room was very clean, always done first thing in the morning. The grounds were gorgeous, so well maintained. All the food was excellent, very well 'displayed' at the buffet. We were to 3 of the speciality restaurants and the food was very good, and service excellent as well. Both pools were very nice, and we enjoyed Davids exercise times. The Sunwing reps in the lobby gave us great info for visiting Puerta Vallarta by cab/bus and also Bucerias a walk up the beach. Everyone was very friendly everywhere in the resort...we definately want to go back again !

Room Tip: looking into the courtyard is lovely, if you are on 6th floor you likely see the ocean.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

The grounds are beautiful and well kept.
Alcohol is easily and quickly available everywhere. Buffet food I would say is above average for a resort.

Cons
Little to no explanations about the hotel on cheak in. And musty rooms( this is unavoidable) everyone just gets use to the smell after one knights sleep. We had bite marks on our bodies we suspect bed bugs.
Luckily we did not notice until we left or we would have been paranoid our whole trip.
The a la carte resteraunts are nothing special only the Brazilian was worth our time.
The young Mexican sunwing rep is a jerk not helpful at all unless u want to buy lots of excursions. If you need help go see the other reps.

All in all I had a great time but the bed bugs leave a bad taste in my mouth.

• Stayed February 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

I stayed at this resort with a group of 7 thritysomethings from Feb 23-March 3 2013.

This Place was great. I went in a little leery because there were some sketchy reviews from recent months but we did not have any problems. There were always plenty of towels at the towel shop and the adult pool is a bit of a party area but you can go enoy the quiet around the kiddy pool or the beach.

Resort - The grounds are beautiful. They are well maintained and always clean. There are cleaning staff and groundskeepers everywhere keeping it clean and beautiful.

Beach - There were quite a few vendors on the beach however if you simply said no thank you they would leave you alone. It was always easy to get a lounger, even in a larger group. The water was awesome, a little cold on most of the days but the waves were great for boogie boarding. All you have to do is sign a release and you can rent boogie boards for free for an hour at a time as many times as you like. We didn't have a single rainy day, it was always sunny and beautiful.

Restaurants - The breakfast buffet is good but quite repetitive. I pretty much figured out what I liked and ate that everyday. The lunch buffet is good as well. Its available from 10:30am to later in the day so you always have food to eat, if you sleep in you can always have a meal from the lunch buffet. The supper buffet is good, they change it up every day and have themes throught the week.
We tried the asian and steakhouse a la cartes. The steakhouse was quite good, we all enjoyed our meals however it took a long time. Our seating was 8:45 and I'm sure we didn't finish until 10 or 10:30. The asian is basically a buffet it had sushi, main courses and dessert. It really wasn't my favorite, I would have preferred to eat at the buffet because i didn't like much of it.
Late night food is pretty scarce, there is food in the fridges at the sports bar but it is leftover food from the other buffets, burgers, hot dogs, fruit and sandwhiches if you are lucky. They also have nacho chips with cheese sauce. I've stayed other places and this late night selection was quite disappointing. I made sure I had other food in my room.

Room - I stayed in one of the larger double rooms. I had two actual double beds and double sinks. It was good. I found it was pretty chilly with the air conditioning running so I left it off for most of the trip. The cleaning staff also left me cute little towel animals each day. Because i had an extra bed they would leave them for me so I had a mini zoo by the end of the trip!
My friends stayed in the other part of the hotel and had 2 3/4 beds pushed together weather they requested a king or doubles. Not ideal but everyone made it work.
The shower/bathroom part of the room is pretty stupid if you are staying with someone who is not your sig other. The shower is open to the entire room so there is no privacy except for a thin white curtain. The toilet has its own enclosure.
On the 4th night of our trip I did find a cockroach in my room near the mini bar. It freaked me out quite a bit but I guess when you are in a hot, humid warm place like Mexico its hard to avoid some unwelcome guests. I told the front desk and they offered to send someone to spray a perimeter of raid in the room to kill or avoid any other creepy crawlies.

Bars - Depending on the time of day there are certain bars open. During the day the lobby bar, pool bar and lunch bar are open. They are all very good. They have blenders and will make you any drink you ask for as long as they have the ingredients. They usually have bananas available so you can get smoothie type drinks.
At supper time the bars near the entertainment area open up, they are usually fairly quiet until the shows go on and get busy right until closing at midnight. They are a good time but quite loud. At Midnight all the bars close except for the disco and the sports bar. These bars are not busy and pretty boring. We did not go off resort in the evenings so it was early to bed because there wasn't much to do. This is quite diasppointing. If they left the outdoor bars open later the resort would have a much better night life.

Entertainment - I only caught one show during the week, the Michael Jackson show. It was pretty good but the entertainment was usually done by 10 pm and that kind of disappointed me.

I would highly recommend a walk down the beach to Bucerias to do a bit of shopping and eat at Fatboys. We sat on the beach and ate awesome fresh seafood. The only thing about sitting on the beach at Fatboys is that you get swarmed by vedors, they really started to annoy us.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Queen Charlotte City, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Our first visit was one week. Our second visit was two weeks. Next time? Maybe three weeks? ;-) We love this place. The staff are wonderful. The food is amazing. The facilities are clean. The beach is awesome. The beds, however are VERY hard and quite uncomfortable with rubber mattress covers under the bottom sheets which makes for a really hot sleep. :-( There is no wireless internet in the rooms and only 90 "consecutive" minutes per 24 hour period can be used in the lobby area. This is very inconvenient. This being said, we had a wonderful time and we will be back.

maple creek
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Our eighth time there in 30 months and it just gets better everytime!!! The staff is amazing always working hard and friendly and accommodating. We were there in Jan,2013, and were walking in the courtyard and the assisstant manager walked by and recognized us from prior visits and offered us a free upgrade to a suite, which was wonderful!! I think that people that complain about frevilous things should just stay home..They probably would complain if they even had a free trip!! Get a life!! We would definitly reccomend thid resort to anyone that is looking for a relaxing holiday!!! We are anticipating our return trip on Mar16 to 31, and can hardly wait!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Winnipeg, Manitoba
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Beach 5/5. Plenty of beach loungers. Clean and well maintained.
Service 5/5. Always willing to help but never pushy.
Cleanliness and maintenance. 5/5 Immaculate--could not be any better.
Entertainment 4/5. Needs more variety--mostly just very good dancers--needs some comedy/singers etc.
Food 4/5. You will not be hungry. Needs some sweeter desserts. Lots of fruit, good breads and lots of variety.
Rooms 5/5. Extremely clean and well serviced.
Pools--2 large pools. Looked nice but preferred the beach

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Been to ClubHotel RIU Jalisco? Share your experiences!