“even in a 5 star hotel take precaution” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Pacifico

You added Hotel Riu Palace Pacifico to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Palace Pacifico
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. de los Cocoteros, Lote Hotelero G | Nuevo Vallarta - Nayarit, 63732, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Ranked #18 of 85 Hotels in Riviera Nayarit
New York
“even in a 5 star hotel take precaution”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2009

My husband and I have been here for 1 week thus far, and since we arrived we were endlessly impressed by the manse space, amazing detail of the hotel and room, friendly service, cleanliness, and just overall beauty of everything in the hotel.

We stayed in a Jaccuzzi suite only to wake up sunday morning to find our $500 camera missing (with 581 pictures taken since we've arrived), $200 cash missing from my pocketbook, including my blackberry cell phone, and my watch from the drawer.
This all happened the night before during a 2 hour time frame when my husband and I went downstairs to eat dinner. When we came back to our room we noticed that the lights in the room had been turned off, the second door to the main part of the room was shut closed, and the main door to the balcony at the end of the hallway was left wide open --- the burglars had probably just escaped, or surely left their mark.

After reporting this incident in the morning - the first time I noticed that my camera was missing from the leather case - an internal investigation was done and the lock on the door will be investigated for its use. We have not been offered any compensation thus far, but hopefully something will be offered for the heartache and lack of safety and security you think is offered for staying in such a suite and in such a 5 star-top-of-the-line glamourous hotel.

So although I would recommend this hotel for the location, beauty, and some staff service I say:
Always be safe and remember that even in a 5 star hotel you must take precaution.
NEVER NEVER NEVER trust the workers here and always keep your valuables in the safe provided to you in the room.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (567)
  • Polish first
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2009

We had never been to the west coast of Mexico but had been to the RIU resorts and have always had a very good family vacation at their resorts. We decided it was time to trade in the white sand blue water for a little more Mexican culture and wonderful sunsets.

We did get exactly what we hoped for and more. The free wi-fi in the lobby worked great and when I tried it in my sixth floor room....it worked there as well!!
The dinning was great and we were familiar with how RIU books their alacartes so it was easy and no big deal for us. (I was usually up by six each morning anyway)
The lobby bar and other evening bars were great and had no problem making a great dirty vodka martini or any other drink you may be used to drinking at home. We also took the opportunity to allow the bartenders a little creative license to put together some wonderful carribean drinks that were both refreshing and strong if you didn't watch the amount you consumed.
We found a great server in the buffet that knew that I liked a certain bottle of Chilean Cab Sav and made sure that I had it whenever we ate in the buffet. We really enjoyed the beef and seafood that was on offer each evening.
The water was warm and darker than what we were used to on the caribean but was great for boogie boarding and general fun for the kids. We would watch the dolphins and whales off the beach in the am in front of the palace. Some people would rent jet skis so they could float out further in the bay and thus be closer to the dolphins.
The sunsets were wonderful and is why I included some pictures in this review.
The kids loved this place as did we. We would return in a heartbeat and probably will. This is not an "adults' only resort and would disappoint if you expected that.
We checked out the other two RIU resorts down the beach and they seemed like great family resorts as well although much larger than the Palace.
We really enjoyed ourselves and would recomend the Riu Palace Pacifico.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
Richmond Va
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2009

Ok. This was the first vacation my wife and I have taken (without children) since we got married almost 10 years ago. We looked online (I looked online a lot before booking it as a birthday gift) and we saw all the positive and negative reviews. Since I wanted to be fair, I went looking for the negative. I found two things I didn’t like as far as food went. The first night we were there, I went in to buffet and they cut me a newyork strip. I didn’t like the way it was cooked. So I didn’t eat it. I went back up and got something else and I liked it. At the steak restaurant I had surf and turf….the tenderloin was OK and the shrimp were also ok. Neither was great. This was the third night of an 8 night stay and I had shrimp several times again and every other time it was fantastic. My wife had some form of seafood every night and she says it was fantastic. She is HIGH MAINTENANCE so I put more stock in her evaluation of the seafood than mine. I also had beef again several times and it was also very good. My wife’s ribeye at the steak restaurant was VERY good. We ate at each of the specialty restaurants and were pleased with all of them. The quality and presentation of all the food we had both at specialty restaurants and on the buffets was excellent. And if you wanted something prepared differently at the buffet all you had to do was inquire and they would take care of it with a smile on their faces.

The service was top notch, and the staff was always happy to assist you. The entertainment staff were all very friendly. I have no idea how they can take the time to make you feel like they have gotten to know you when there are so many people there but they waved and said hello by name. The bartenders were very good and friendly and fun. I asked for top shelf liquor every time I ordered a drink ( and I ordered a hell of a lot of them ) and they happily gave it to me each time. The room was super clean, our view was very good, even from the “cheap seats”….we were on the top floor facing north. The two concierge girls were absolutely fantastic. They helped us book dinner reservations at a great restaurant in PV as well as a massage at a spa we had read about.
Speaking of spas, we had a massage at the Renova spa at the hotel the day we got there. It was fantastic. We also had a body treatment done later in the weak which was amazing. Even though the Renova spa was associated with the hotel the concierge didn’t raise an eyebrow to our request to book a massage at a spa in town.

There were things included with the “all inclusive” deal that we didn’t take advantage of such as the kayaks and the sailboards. (you had to already know how to sail borad. They offered lessons for a small fee at the Riu Vallarta).

All the bars were good. Most were great. One of the bartenders was a little dry but he got us the drinks we wanted and that was fine.
I wish my memory was better. I would call out all the fantastic staff members by name. The evening bartender in the petite pigalia , I believe his name was Rolando…..he was awesome. The lead bartender at the pool bar (wearing the tux shirt) …super personality. The young lady at the bar outside made some wicked shooters. Nadia who seemed to be working EVERY SINGLE DAY brought us drinks at the pool . Some people have mentioned tipping. If you don’t tip they will bring you drinks and smile and it’s part of your vacation….no problem. When you gave them a small tip of 1 us dollar or 20 pessos they were super appreciative and from my perspective, I am not likely to miss it and it will make a difference to them. The atmosphere was elegant and everything…..I mean everything was top of the line. You wanted for nothing. The AC was nice and cold….we asked for and were quickly delivered an extra blanket………twice……so we were sleaping with 2 thick fuzzy blankets in addition to the normal bedding and were quite comfortable.

Just to help out others….there is a clothing shop, a jewelery shop ( over priced ), and while it took about 5 days to discover there is also a regular gift shop (with bandaids and pepto and asparin) behind the south elevators……you won’t see it at all unless you walk around the bank of elevators.

Room service is limited but very very good. The club sandwich is good. Damned good. Best Frickin club sandwich I ever had……the Bacon is awesome….the bacon on the buffet….wow.
We worked out a couple times....but went to Vallarta Riu for a better equipped Gym. I ran there and back for my cardio.

We had an absolutely fantastic time. I was relaxed and I am told I have a hard time relaxing. I read a novel…….the first one in about 10 years.
Riu is hi on our list for next year’s vacation.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2009

We stayed here the first week in August 2009, and after being at several resorts in Puerto Vallarta this was by far the best! The lobby was incredible, air conditioned, and enclosed. Everything from the food, entertainment and cleaniliness was suburb. Comments about the beach being lousy is bizarre to me as the beaches are beautiful. Puerto Vallarta has the most fabulous sunsets around and the you can always count on huge waves. The water isn't the blue you get in Cancun or Riviera Maya, but so what! You have mountains as a backdrop and waves! You can boogie board all day long and it's free!!! Loved everything about this resort and the staff was wonderful. Felipe in the dining room, you rock!!! He knows more about the Pittsburgh Steelers than my boys! Thumbs up to the Palace! Will be returning next year

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
houston, texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2009

My wife and I switched to the Palace from Dreams VillaMagna after a joke of a resort and arrival at the Dreams. The Palace is elegant and an awesome resort they offer excellent service and beautiful facilities. I am so glad we switched and discovered the Palace. I will return many times to this great resort and enjoy true class and hospitality that I love about Mexico. Enjoy and relax !! You made the right choice!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Fort Worth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2009

My husband and I stayed here and it was not bad. The rooms were very nice, fantastic A/C, service was great, but the bed was too hard. The food at the buffet was ok and the food at the steakhouse (for dinner) was great! This hotel is only 10 months old and had several issues that you would find at an older hotel. In the buffet dining area there was a water line on the ceiling from one end to the other where the ceiling had leaked and the were in the process of patching the holes. Inside the pool there is a table and chairs to sit and mingle, but the tiles that you lean against at the table were missing, not just 1 or 2, more like 6-8 tiles missing. Looks like they might have been in a hurry to finish this resort. This is overall a beautiful resort and if you have never been to PV I would select this or another RIU property in the area. Oh, by the way, be careful when swimming in the ocean there are lots of little critters that like to bite you and because it is the Pacific ocean you can't see them coming. Happy Traveling!! :)

• Stayed August 2009
Burlington, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2009

The Riu Palace is a must see. It felt like the old south or Monaco. The service was top notch, the facilities were amazing. Perfect holiday. I highly recommend this resort. Food was great. Ask for Saki bombs in the Japanese restaurant! Only complaint was the entertainment ended fairly early.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Pacifico? Share your experiences!