“Wedding at Riu Palace Pacifico” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Pacifico

You added Hotel Riu Palace Pacifico to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Palace Pacifico
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. de los Cocoteros, Lote Hotelero G | Nuevo Vallarta - Nayarit, 63732, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Ranked #18 of 85 Hotels in Riviera Nayarit
Red Deer, Canada
“Wedding at Riu Palace Pacifico”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Planning a destination wedding was stressing me out- was worried the resort I picked would disappoint friends and family. But boy did I pick good!! Amazing, luxury resort, not too big, not too small. Service was wonderful. We had a group of 34 including kids- and everyone loved it. My wedding was set up on the beach, I purchased the royal wedding package- plus paid for my extra guests- think it came to about $2200, including a $200 upgrade for a differt arch (I personally recommend- mine was beautiful- the standard was kind of ugly), and additional flowers for 2 bridesmaids and 2 groomsmen. The flowers were stunning, which was such a pleasant surprise. The area for the wedding was close to the pool bar- so there was an audience- but I think that always happens. It was sectioned off very early in the morning. The officiant was great- emailed me a few weeks before the wedding to see what we would like. Speakers were great for my iphone- they just requested a playlist with the songs in order. We had beachballs and sunglass for confetti and favors, this was all set up exactly as requested by the wedding coordinator and staff. One of my best friends is a photographer, so she did my photography- I wasn't charged the $300 vendor fee to have her there. (Her and her family were all paying guests). Our dinner was set up on the terrace of La Toscana (the steak house), it was completely private- it was beautiful and allowed for speeches. The meal was amazing- most people had steak and lobster. We chose not to pay for a private wedding dance area.
When we went back to our room it was set up super pretty and romantic. It was a great wedding day.
As for general things about the resort- it was so beautiful, service was amazing. The buffet was good- maybe got a little tired of it because the ala cartes weren't for kids under 12- and we had 8 kids in our group. And we were spur of the moment so booking meals way in advance is hard. Loved the pool and pool bar- wish it was open a little later. The hotel didn't have as much to offer the younger single girls in our group- but because its an upscale resort- I think you just lose a bit in that demographic. We had a great hospitality concierge to help with booking excursions. And because we had a large group we were picked up from the airport in a private bus and had priority check-in, basically they handed us a drink and an envelope with our key- we handed them our luggage! The size of the resort was great for a large group- was never too hard to find eachother. Overall so amazing- best time ever.

Room Tip: The family suite was amazing!!!!! So much room- amazing view.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (567)
  • Polish first
Ancaster, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

Vacation Oct. 11-25th. This is our 5th time at the Palace Pacifico, 12th time to this chain of Riu hotels in Nuevo Vallarta. This is our vacation destination every October. Each time seems to be better than the last and considering they have all been fantastic experiences, that is saying something. Aside from the beautiful hotel and its amenities, the staff really make your vacation memorable and outstanding. I would like to give thanks to the animation staff - Pepe, Juanho, Nadia and Netho just to name a few, the dining room staff - Alfredo, Luis, Teddy, Jeromino, Victor, Raymundo, Bruno, and Eduardo; management staff - Manager Christina and outstanding customer service rep. Antonio. I echo all the positive postings on this site from other travellers. THEY ARE ALL TRUE!!! Just in case management is reviewing this posting, I would like to extend a heart felt "thank you" for myself and my husband - nicknamed the "Hunter" by the staff. Looking forward to next year.

Room Tip: Rooms on the upper levels seem quieter.
Napanee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

My husband and I had an amazing week at the Pacifico. The beach; you can walk forever, pool was clean, food and drinks were great. Had steak and lobster at the steakhouse that was delicious. Teddy treated us like gold. Champagne was free flowing. I would have to say that it is one of the cleanest resorts I have ever been to. The service was wonderful all around. The resort staff work hard and seem genuine in wanting you to have a good vacation. Tips go a long way and are very deserving. Wonderful week and would go back in a heartbeat!

Folsom, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

We stayed at the Riu from Oct 12th-22nd. It was a wonderful vacation. The hotel is immaculate. Staff are constantly cleaning--we witnessed a maid flip over the coffee table in the lobby to clean it! They were all very friendly too. Every person that passed us gave a smile and said, "Hola!" Check-in was a breeze. Welcome drink upon arrival. We were in room 8008. It had an ocean view, as well as a look at the hotel next to the Riu. I would have preferred a pool view since that's where all the action happens, but when we asked for an upgrade we were told it would have been about $300 more per night. We passed. It was ok anyway, because we really weren't in the room too much. The room itself was nice. Very typical for Riu properties. We've stayed at the Palace and Caribe in Cancun and all the rooms are pretty much identical. Maid service came twice a day and left little towel animals for us every other day. The mini bar was refilled as needed--there are two types of beer available--Tecate in cans or Dos Equis Amber in bottles. We asked for the bottles and our fridge was filled with them for our entire stay. We ordered room service a few times. Never waited longer than 20 minutes. The selection is limited--I would like to have seen more options. Pretty much salad/sandwiches/dessert. Nothing too exciting. At one point we ordered the cesar salad with two plates of chips. It's kind of a last resort, I'd say, considering how much food is available everywhere else. The buffet is great. Lots of choices and theme nights at dinner. We ate at the Steakhouse and the Krystal restaurants. Steakhouse was amazing. Delicious ribeye and fall-off-the-bone BBQ pork ribs. Krystal was OK--but check out the menu before you make reservations for any of the restaurants. Lots of seafood on all the menus and we are not seafood fans, so our choices were limited. The pool is gorgeous. We spent a lot of time hanging out there--but there is no kids pool, so there are kids at the swim up bar. Lots of splashing and screaming at times. It did get a little annoying. There is an animation team that entertains in the pool area for a short time each day. We really wished they played more music during the day. There were speakers there, but if the animation team wasn't around, there was no music. We had excursions planned every other day, otherwise it would have gotten a little boring sitting around the pool for 10 days. The pool bar closes at 6 and the pool itself closes at 8. The hotel puts on nightly shows at 10 pm. The mexicano extravaganza was great. The Michael Jackson show is the same that we've seen in Cancun and Dom Rep. Lots of places to get a drink. Sports bar is open 24hrs, liquor dispenser in the room, pool bar, ocean bar, piano bar, theater bar, and you can get drinks in any of the restaurants. Top shelf liquor if you ask. We were drinking margaritas with Don Julio. Everything at the hotel was great. If there was a con to the hotel it would be the location. The hotel is isolated and a taxi is necessary to get really anywhere. We spent over a $100 just in taxi fare. The excursions we booked, we had to meet up outside the hotel zone, so that was a bummer, too. I've read reviews where people say you can "walk" to the Mega or other places--it was so hot and humid, it was difficult just to walk from the room to the beach, let alone anywhere outside the hotel. That might just be the case in October, but either way, we don't get that type of heat in California so we were wiped out by it. Overall, we had a fantastic time. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Had the vacation of a lifetime at Riu Palace Pacifico! Staff is extremely friendly and always make sure you are completely taken care of. The hotel itself is so beautiful, from the lobby to the outdoor grounds and landscaping. Most of our time was spent in the enormous pool with a convenient swim-up bar. The beach is only a short walk down from the pool area and is beautiful and spacious. We visited the other Riu resorts via a 10 minute walk down the beach and those were just as fantastic and welcoming. We personally loved eating at the buffets and thought all the food and variety was great! We made reservations immediately after check-in for La Toscana and WOW the food there was amazing. I can honestly say it was the best lobster I have ever had! We also had a delicious baked alaska there for dessert, which our waiter lit on fire right at our table! We saw a Mama Mia and Michael Jackson tribute shows, both of which were awesome. Our room was very clean and the bed was firm but comfortable. Housekeeping was so great and we even had turn-down service every evening. I cannot say enough good things about this resort! It was everything I was expecting and more. Thanks Riu for giving us such a memorable and fun vacation we'll never forget!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

HOTEL:The hotel was very clean; the staff cleaned everywhere constantly throughout the day. We requested 2 double beds, however the room had 2 double beds pushed together for a giant King sized bed. The beds were extremely hard. Ask for a bed pad upon check-in. The balcony had 2 chairs and table. The resort had one large pool with swim up bar and lots of loungers. The pool closes at 8:00 PM....bummer!

LOCATION: The hotel is not located close to shopping or night life. The sister hotel is about a 25 minute walk and it has a club for dancing. We took a cab into town ($20 for 4 people) to club hop. The two clubs we visited were Mandera and Club Zoo. Club scene is lively and off the chain!

SPA: The spa services were on the pricey side, so we skipped. Leave the hotel, go to the beach, turn right and walk about 15 minutes for a 60 minute massage for $25. Great massage according to the ladies that traveled with me.

ACTIVITIES: Jet skis on the beach, 30 minutes for $40. Awesome, a must try! ATV tour through Apple Vacations (located in the lobby). 3 hour ATV tour was awesome. The tour will lead you to an outdoor restaurant with excellent food and drinks. Bring jeans and tennis shoes or clothes that you don't mind getting filthy. You will go through lots of water and you will end up looking like a dusty mess! Don't let the dirt stop you, it washes off! (smile) $80.

FOOD & DRINK: The food was barely average. The variety was there, just lacking taste. We had reservations at the Mexican restaurant and the Steak house. Small portions with only a few options. If I had to do it again, I would most likely not make reservations. As for the drinks, I read reviews prior to my departure and many said the drinks were watered down. Well, they were not watered down, they just contain a lower alcohol percentage than we are accustomed to in the U.S. For example, the Jose Cuervo Gold tequila is only 25% alcohol versus 40% in U.S. The same alcohol was served in the night clubs at real tequila prices ($10-15). All of the rooms had alcohol dispensers in the room. Tequila, Bacardi Rum, Vodka, whiskey and one other I can't remember. The bad news is there were no chasers. The refrigerators had Pepsi, beer, soda water and regular water. It works if you are a Rum and coke kinda girl.

Hope this helps you!

Room Tip: I was located on the first floor...avoid at all cost. Whenever there is an event on the mezzanine a...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

I stayed at the Riu Palace Pacifico in Puerto Vallarta for 10 days/9 nights a couple of weeks ago (Oct 2013). Overall, I was quite impressed by the layout of the resort, the cleanliness of my room and hotel, the efficiency of the staff, and the quality of the food.

Mitch from TripGuy.com hooked me up with airfare, to/from airport transfer, and hotel for a low price. It was incredibly easy to book with Mitch because he made himself available to my questions and made the whole process seamless. I gave him the type of vacation I was looking for (beach), dates and a price range. He came back with multiple options within my range. I highly recommend using Mitch from TripGuy.com

And here’s a brief breakdown from my stay…

FOOD:
They have a buffet dining room for all meals (no reservation required) plus four dinner restaurants where you need to make a reservation. I found the Steak House to be the most elegant and well prepared food. The only drawback to the whole reservation thing is that you can only make two reservations per day. So the first day I got there, I couldn’t make dinner reservations for all my nine nights. I had to wait each day to book in advance.

DRINK:
Everywhere you turn, you’ll get handed a drink by a staff member: at check in, at a meal, at the sports bar, etc. There’s also plenty of bottled water everywhere, too! The pool bar is fun and convenient. The Sports Bar is open 24hours and you can watch American sports (it’s mainly turned to ESPN).

ROOMS:
I stayed on the fourth floor and the room was a decent size with a surprisingly large bathroom. The bed was too firm for my taste and the pillows weren’t fluffy enough. But I didn’t care enough to request a change. Its marble tile so when the A/C is pumping in the room, the tile will get cold. Which is good but I wish I would’ve brought slippers to keep my feet warm. There’s a minibar and fridge in the room as well. And every day after the maid comes, a staff member comes by and restocks the minibar and fridge. I was never without bottled water.

DÉCOR:
Elegant chandeliers, paintings, landscaping, and high ceilings. The only drawback is the marble tile in the hallways because sound echoes off it like a tree falling in a forest… Everyone and everything is quiet and peaceful during normal “quiet times” (12am-8am). But if you plan to sleep in past 10am, chances are you’ll be woken up by something echoing off the marble tile in the hallways.

STAFF:
The great thing is that the staff isn’t trying to up sell you on anything, which means they come off very genuine and friendly. They are there and happy to serve you. And when I tipped them $1-$2 (US dollars) at meal time, they remembered my name and had my drink order ready the moment they saw me walking into the buffet area. If you make eye contact with any staff member (especially the servers), they’ll come to you immediately and ask if you need anything.

ACTIVITIES:
There are daily activities at the pool (water aerobics, water volleyball), on the beach (volleyball, rifle shooting, horseshoes), and even Spanish lessons. There’s also a nightly show in one of the ballrooms, which provides entertaining themed shows. But if you’re not into that and just want to relax, the resort gives you opportunities to read by the beach/pool or on your balcony, or just hang out and socialize in the common areas.

GUESTS:
It’s a mixture of families, honeymooning couples, and couples traveling with other couples. Everyone seemed very laidback and the vibe was great for relaxing.

POOL:
The warm water was the ideal temperature because it didn’t leave me freezing when I got out. The in-pool lounge chairs are a plus for relaxing and tanning. But get to the pool earlier if you want to grab a spot in the shade and/or use an umbrella for shade.

OCEAN:
Is literally 10 feet away from the pool! And the servers walk on the beach to see if you need anything. There are non-resort “beach vendors” who will try to sell you anything from earrings to cigars to tattoos. Simply say, “no gracias” and they go away. WARNING: there are jellyfish! I got stung twice (in four trips into the ocean). The lifeguards know what to do (douse the area with apple cider and vinegar). The pain goes away after a couple of hours but the initial sting feels like the sun kissed your skin with a wet noodle.

CLOTHING:
Most, if not everyone, spends the entire day in a swimsuit… so be prepared to see a lot of skin (male and female). But at night, people tend to cover up a little more. All the restaurants you have to make reservations for require a collared shirt and pants for men. (I simply brought two collared shirts and rotated them every other day because I didn’t wear them any other time.)

NOTES:
There’s no self-serve laundry service. You have to send it out (at cost) with a 48 hour turn around but no weekend service. So if you drop it off on Friday, you probably won’t get it back until Monday or Tuesday.

I wish I would’ve brought a little beach bag for visiting the pool or beach. I had to lug my sunscreen, book, camera, etc up and down.

OVERALL:
I would highly recommend this resort for the reasons listed above but also for this simple reason: I didn’t have to think about anything. Food was always there; drinks were flowing like water; friendly and accommodating staff. I needed a stress-free vacation and that is exactly what I received at Riu Palace Pacifico in Puerto Vallarta.

Room Tip: Firm beds.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Pacifico? Share your experiences!