“Excellent Thursday evening Fish and Chips” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Gastropub
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Excellent Thursday evening Fish and Chips”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Went back to this super old pub after living overseas; used to go there 40 years ago when we were newly weds. Now with the new smoking regulations you do not have sore eyes from the smoke and there is no longer a dart board :)

Good selection of beers at the pumps and decent choice of wines and champagne. The food selection on the boards was excellent. There is a dedicated restaurant area. The 4 of us in our party had the Tempura prawns to start and we followed with the large cod and chips and the plaice and chips. The Food was presented very well, and the portions were ample, and defeated us all. The food was hot and freshly cooked with a pretty salad on the side of the plate. My husband indulged in an ice cream, which was also tasty. Waitress service was friendly and very efficient. It was great to go back to an old haunt and not be disappointed after all these years. Parking is limited so get there early on a busy night. Well worth a visit.

• Visited July 2013

Maidstone
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Went here for the first time with a friend from work. Had the Languinne -on the special board - and it was delicious. I asked if the sauce was very spicy and the waitress said she would ask for it to be mild. It was just right. The plates were hot (not always the case) which meant our lunch stayed lovely and hot. We didn't have room for a desert. Will definitely go again.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London, United Kingdom
“Satisfactory”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

An impromptu lunch at The Angel was pretty satisfactory. The ‘kilo’ of what proved to be delicious mussels was, I thought, somewhat less than a kilo and on querying this the server immediately arranged to provide more (gratis). The mussels came with good bread and excellent chips. My wife’s belly of pork was somewhat dry but nevertheless enjoyed. I discovered after I left I had neglected to leave a tip which I regret. The service was excellent.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
West Malling, United Kingdom
“What happened?!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

We've always loved this pub and have been probably 5 or 6 times in the last year, even taking visiting family. I have no idea what has happened since we last went though. Having had some good news on a family member's health,we went along to have a quick treat of nachos, which have always previously been life changingly awesome. To fill us up, I chanced my luck and asked if the chef could grill some chicken and add it to them, which was handled with zero fuss.

Imagine my disappointment to find out about the great cheese, sour cream and guacamole shortage of 2013 that appears to have occurred in Addington, without which nachos become little more than a plate of warm crisps. I reckon they've cut down the topping size by almost half since we last ate here. I noticed the white bait on the table next to us had also shrunken in size considerably also - what a shame. Portion sizes were always a real positice at the Angel.

On the upside, I had the grilled chicken right? Wrong. In my hunger I'd been chatting away, blindly eating it only for my wife to point out a pinkish piece of chicken. As I checked the remaining chicken, it was clearly still raw in parts...what kind of chef can't tell raw from cooked chicken?! To her credit, the serving girl was great throughout the service and looked mortified when she saw it and immediately waived the additional cost of the chicken -In retrospect I'm not sure I should have paid for any of it - I only hope I'm not sick in the night and that they bring back the old chef!

We loved it here, the sad thing is we'll probably never now go back again based on one bad experience - theres too many other good local restaurants that get it right every time.

• Visited May 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Rochester, United Kingdom
“really nice atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

we went there bank holiday monday lunchtime. really friendly landlord. we only ordered sandwiches. however they were well presented and delicous. cannot fault the service or food

• Visited May 2013