“Riding in the mountains” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 10 things to do in Sami
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
“Riding in the mountains”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Near Sami, horses well looked after, great views from the 3 hour ride into the mountains, a bit expensive at 60 euros.

Visited October 2012

• Greek first
Worcester, United Kingdom
“A fabulous week!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

My husband and I have just returned from a week staying with Conny who runs the Bavarian Horse Riding Stables. We rode every day and we absolutely loved it! Like the other reviews, the horses and all of her animals are beautifully cared for and in excellent condition. I ride haflinger horses at home and I can assure any potential visitor that her horses are in fantastic condition, even more so given the challenges of caring for them, ie, no equnie vets, no farrier etc.
I note what people have said about her being bossy. She is not bossy, anyone who knows and deals with horses knows that they have to be in absolute control the whole time (as far as is ever possible!). Yes, there are times when Conny has to be firm and direct, but with us she was courteous, kind and often hilarious! She speaks excellent English, but with all the inflections of a native German who now speaks fluent Greek!
The trip advises that you go trekking on horses, this does not mean long periods in trot, or canter for that matter. Trekking on horses is a different way of exploring the island other than by car, bike or on foot. Its not the same as going out hacking on horses at home. Plus, the terrain on the island is hard, stoney and mountainous, I do sometimes wonder what people expect!
I had the most relaxing week's holiday I have had in a long time. The horses are so well behaved, you get to see parts of the island you would not normally see and best of all in my opinion, you get to spen time in excellent equine company and with Conny, who honestly, is hilarious!!
Finally, if you dont like the thought of trekking, book lessons with her. She is an excellent teacher, seriously good!

Visited October 2012
Guildford, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
“Take A Ride on the Wild side”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

One of the highlights of our trip to Cafeloina was to visit and experience horse riding in the mountains. My wife and I are both novices. To begin with, I was a little anxious about riding as I have never ridden before. Conny takes time to get to know her customers and makes them feel welcomed and at home with the horse. She taught us to relax and not to be tense as we sat on our saddle. Her horses seemed comfortable and relaxed with us. Conny then took us to the mountains where we saw some breathtaking views of Sami.

Conny has about 15 horses. She also takes in abandoned dogs and cats. The horses are well groomed. It was interesting to watch the dynamics between dogs and horses, some harmony, some power posturing.

I recommend a visit to Conny’s horse riding stable and take a ride on the wild side. You’ll love the experience. For an hour’s ride it will cost €20 pp. and €30 pp. for 1 ½ hours ride

Taxi fare is between €7-10. Nina the receptionist at Hotel Pericles told us that it should not cost more than €7 as it is about 3 kilometres to the stables. When we ordered a taxi to take us there, the taxi driver wanted to charge us €10 and he complained all the way and he finally charged us €8. Instead of dropping us off at the Stable, he dropped us at the side of the main road and we walked 200m to the stable from the main road. Just make sure you ask the taxi driver how much it will cost before paying too much.

Prestatyn
“Kefalonia on horseback is amust”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Dont know how Helen PD012 can write a review from the outside, yes Connie does raise her voice when she has to, normally when people are not following her instructions regarding her horses, she has taken 20 years to build up her business, starting with 4 working horses which she has now built upto 16. The stables are well presented being both clean and tidy and functional, the horses are very well cared for ( they are her family and livelihood ) sure footed and steady, ideal for the rocky terrain the treks cover. Riding hats are available and are offered to clients prior to going out, but this is not England, when you land in Kefalonia you leave all the stupid PC behind. As for the lady falling off her horse I cant comment on that, I was'nt there but I do know that Connie goes to great lengths to match her horses to the riders professed ability, she has to believe that you can do what you say you can. She does answer her phone while out on treks, what else is she to do, she's running a business. The treks are tailored to the ability of the riders lasting from 1/2 hour to 3 hours and cover some stunning and beautiful countryside, passing vineyards that are 100's of years old and the ruins of villages destroyed in the 1953 earthquake and vantage points giving breathtaking views of the surrouding countryside and out across the Ionian Sea to Ithaca. No one forced Tryunderthelatch to take part in that particular trek, they only had to explain to Connie what they were looking for and she would have arranged a trek more suited to their requirements, but dont expect to go trotting in the midday sun, it reaches 40 degrees, book for first thing in the morning or in the early evening. Connie also offers ' all in ' riding holidays with accomodation where she lives about 1km down the road, she has 3 double rooms with en suite wet rooms and a shared guest kitchen ( the food is great, the company even better ). the holidays come in two forms, the first is a daily trek ( duration arranged with Connie to suit personal requirements ) or a camping trek, normally 3 - 5 days where you trek out in the mountains to pre-arranged locations, cook a meal around the campfire, sleep out and then move on next morning, either way go with an open mind, accept where you are ( 3 hours by ferry from the mainland ) and you,ll have a good time, meet some nice people and see some stunning countryside from the back of some wonderful horses. A camera is a must. Recommended.

Leyland, United Kingdom
14 attraction reviews
“Chose not to Go...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

I was going to book, however, one morning I could hear a very bossy German voice shouting. As the horses came into view, I saw the culprit - the Stable owner was barkign instructons at her clients - none of whom were wearing hats. A couple of minutes later, one of the horses spooked and the client fell off, she lay on the floor and it took the action from another client to actually tend to her - the German lady didnt even get off her horse - I made the decision then and there not to bother. Having said that, the horses looked very wll cared for.