“Fabulous place, great location, beautiful horses” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 10 Attractions in Sami
4.5 of 5 stars 63 Reviews
Type: Horseback Riding Stables, Sports
Yorkshire
“Fabulous place, great location, beautiful horses”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

I visited with my 2 children age 11 and 13 for an evening trek and we thoroughly enjoyed it. The stables are professionally run and horses cared for very well by experienced Equestrians. We trekked up into the mountains at a gentle pace and the views are stunning. The horses really are beautiful and well trained as my son only has a little experience, however I felt fully confident in his safety. My children and I didn't want to leave and hung around after to pet all the cats and dogs and 2 foals. Would highly recommend just make sure your child doesn't lock the toilet keys in the bathroom!!

Visited August 2011

cheshire
“Excellent, lovely well Looked after and good mannered horses for all levels.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011 via mobile

I endourse what has been said in the other reviews. I drove from lassi to make my booking to see for myself, the horses and facilities, Which are excellent. I booked a two hour ride for me and my partner for the following day. We went at 9am before it got too hot for the horses or us. I would recommend long trousers, Flat shoes (not sandles or flipflops)and if poss a light long sleeve top and spray yourself with fly repellant.
The trek up the hills and through the local villages is beautiful and well worth the 40 euros per person for 2 hours of off road breathtaking scenary with lots of interesting facts and information from our lovely guide. Thank you for a fabulous morning seeing kefalonia's beauty, riding the sure footed and well trained haflingers.

Zurich, Switzerland
“Excellent stable - for both riders and horses”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2010

I can only subscribe to what the persons before me have mentioned.
We were three people on a 1 1/2 hour's ride on October 16, 2010.
I was particularly impressed in what excellent shape the horses are as well as the open stables - none of the typical stress signs of a bored or badly kept animal. Conny supplies the right horse for the right person - be it for the six-year-old girl, my friend, who is inexperienced or me, who started riding after a break of six years but got the feeling back immediately. It was a very pleasant experience and I can recommend the stables without reservation. I doubt if many horses in Greece are being treated with such care and attention.

Three cheers for Conny!

Cornelia, Susan and Anna

Warwick, United Kingdom
“great for any level of experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2010

A great way to see the island off the beaten track.

We did a 4 hr trek up the mountains, through olive groves & earthquake ruined villages & took the horses for a paddle in the sea.

For the less experienced rider, Cornelia will tack the horses up with Western style saddles.

They do a variety of treks from 1hr to a full day. Each route covers different areas so check first if there is something you particularly want to do e.g swimming with the horses is not done on every trip & only for experienced riders.

Saddle bags are provided so you don't have to take a rucksack.

They also offer full riding holidays where you camp out at night.

In Greece you do not have to wear a hat but they do supply one if you wish (check your travel insurance too as it may be a requirement). The horses know the routes & terrain off by heart but you never know...

Don't worry about jodphurs etc, 3/4 length trousers are fine (and cooler in summer) and a t-shirt. Make sure you pack some flat / low healed shoes. I saw some people wearing flip flops but I wouldn't recommend it - if you do accidentally get trodden on it's gonna hurt.

I'd definitely use these stables again & try some of the other routes out. Cornelia will point out interesting things along the way & all the horses have an excellent temperament.

Basingstoke
6 attraction reviews
“Beautiful horses, genuine people”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

Bavarian Horse Riding stables (BHRS) is owned and run by Cornelia Schimpfky, a horse trainer originally from Germany and her team of dedicated staff.

The horses (Halflingers) are all well trained, good natured and very well cared for. In fact I would go as far as to say that standards are at least the same as those that we expect in the UK.

The stables caters for all levels of ability from first time rider to advanced. They do trek lengths ranging from one hour to a full day (and practically every duration in between). The four hour trek aimed at more experienced riders takes in trails down to the beach where you can swim with horses if you wish, however, beach cantering is not possible due to the depth of the shingle.

I went on a two hour trek with my daughter. This was a gentle walk in the hills taking in some spectacular scenery. I was disappointed that the trek did not go beyond a walk, as I am a more experienced rider who did ask to go on a faster trek (so I suggest that you make any requests very clear at point of booking). However the terrain was such on this route that it would have been unsafe for both riders and horses to go much faster. It was actually really nice to exchange both horse experiences and local knowledge with the friendly staff who were escorting us, whilst our sure-footed horses picked their way along the trail. To be honest that more than made up for my disappointment on the speed front.

Riding attire is not required. I took jods and jod boots with me for my own comfort which probably made me appear somewhat over dressed!

The BHRS is well signed from Sami (15mins drive).

So if my review hasn't convinced you that this is the place to go, bear in mind that I drove from Fiskardo (northern tip of Kefalonia) and despite it taking just over an hour along car-sick inducing, winding roads, I'm still very happy to recommend this place.

Things to note (particularly for non-riders):

I hope that you will enjoy Connie's beautiful, safe horses as much as my daughter and I did, but I feel it would be remiss of me not to outline a couple of things (particularly to non-riders).

You are not required to wear a helmet in Greece (no surprises there!). The stables can lend you one if you wish to wear one. I would recommend that you check your medical insurance before you choose style over practicality. As unlikely as it may be for you to have an accident, in the rare event, you could invalidate your insurance if you don't (even if your accident doesn't even result in a head injury).

Unlike the UK, you are not asked to sign any documents before you ride (again that's Greece for you!) but it did make me wonder what the position would be if I didn't have private travel/medical insurance.

In the UK, most established riding schools will insist that you wear a flat shoe with a flat heal of 1" to 2". This is to prevent your feet slipping through the stirrups. The BHRS does not insist on this, but does seem to prefer it if you wear something like plimsolls rather than sandals.