“Greek Luxury” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
West Byfleet, United Kingdom
“Greek Luxury”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2011

The Ionian Emerald hotel is certainly one of the best hotels on the island of Kephalonia. It is immaculately clean, ideally located, spacious and welcoming. The staff take a little while to warm to you (maybe that was just me), but if you engage with them the warmth is genuine, as opposed to corporate. This is a family run hotel that is a cut above the normal Greek hotels. It is a five star hotel, but if you are well travelled do not expect the same international five star package. It is certainly Greek five star, and I do not mean that to sound condescending, but it lacks some of the finesse you might find in other european destinations. However the pricing reflects this and I felt that it was value for money.
I did not see all the rooms and so I could not comment accurately, but our superior room was well appointed. On reflection I would ask for a room with a shower, as opposed to a bath; the rooms with baths have only a shower attachment, which was not the best. Every room has a balcony with a sea view - this is not just brochure speak. The pool was absolutely lovely and the sun beds were sumptuous. A matter of yards from the pool is the beach, which is small (stones) but nevertheless a great spot to watch the fishermen come and go. The water is beautiful and the views magnificent. Especially welcome is the sea breeze, which remarkably seemed to arrive at about lunchtime every day.
The hotel has a number of tavernas close by, which offer great value, and the town of Sami is a ten minute walk along the well-lit and pleasant costal path. The town offers a multitude of harbour front restaurants.
The communal areas of the hotel are modern and spacious and the bar is very well stocked.
I would happily return to this hotel; we travelled in early September 2011 and the temperature was in the top twenties, low thirties, just right.
One other thing I would mention. We hired a car via the hotel, which was a lot cheaper than any other source. We paid 30 euros a day for an air-conditioned Ford Fiesta - no extras!
I have tried to be fair in my assessment even though I am sure many would disagree. This is a beautiful hotel and I would happily recommend it. It far exceeds many of the other Greek hotels I have stayed in, but as I have stated it would not meet the same standards as some of the other five star hotels I have experienced elsewhere in the World.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Greek first
Falmouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

Firstly, I do not expect to pay for 5 star accommodation and facilities to discover that they are effectively shared with the 3 star Hotel guests (who I have no problem with at all) next door (Athina). Check out reviews of the Athina Hotel as many people mention it. The Athina Hotel does not have a pool. The only reason why I can think this is possibly due to joint ownership and/or extra generation of money via the pool bar.
I find this bad as when you pay for a 5 star Hotel, a proportion of what you are paying goes towards having a good pool, loungers, towels etc.... isn't it good when you are effectively supplementing someone else’s holiday!
Anyway I have made my point to our British Tour Operator that this needs to be clear on websites, brochures etc....
This ‘situation’ became even more annoying when many of the non-residents came with their noisy children. On many days I would describe the pool area as being busy to overcrowded and I know that many other residents of the Ionian could not find a place to sit as loungers were being used by non-residents - Unbelievable!
We expected the pool area for the size of the Hotel to be quite quiet and also expected the main guests to be couples wanting the same. Most couples I spoke to were of the same opinion. However, this was not the case due to the amount of children and toddlers and certainly would advise against couples coming during school holidays.
The young lady who works in the Pool bar is excellent - she is overworked in my opinion.
We found the breakfast to be below par for a 5 star and got the impression the breakfast at the 3 star Hotel next door was the same standard. The lady who works in the breakfast area is also very good as are the receptionists.
My opinion is that this Hotel needs to realise its main repeat market is going to be couples who come for peace and quiet in a relaxed atmosphere and over time to fill this Hotel during the main season, the owners will be reliant on this demographic. If this Hotel does not meet the expectations of its main market it will not attract people back and will not be sustainable as a business.
It’s a shame because Sami is beautiful with some good restaurants especially The Mermaid.
My advice if you want a budget holiday is to book in at the Athina and pay 3 star rates and enjoy the 5 star facilities next door.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Ath Gr
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

Relaxing atmosphere, colors & shapes!!!
Every moment ontain it's real value!!!
A place you can feel ALIVE...

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

We stayed at the Ionian Emerald in the first week in July this year and it was fab! The service in the hotel is absolutely brilliant – all of the staff are friendly and helpful and not at all intrusive. We asked to change from the original room we were given as it was a twin rather than a double and this was no problem at all.

Our room was lovely and spacious – everything worked fine – yes there are only a few English speaking channels on the TV but that didn’t really bother us! Just like the rooms the rest of the hotel is very well kept and everything is spotlessly clean! We loved relaxing y the pool and having drinks on the terrace in the early evening. The drinks – spirits – are served in very generous measures and so extremely strong! We didn’t eat dinner at the hotel so can’t comment on that but we did have lunch at the bar by the pool 2 afternoons and the food there was OK – nothing special but perfectly adequate. Again we only had breakfast a couple of times but that was nice and there was plenty of choice – fruits, cereals and pastries as well as eggs and bacon etc.

One thing I would say is that the prices for food and drinks at the hotel are really quite high!

Although we found it a little hard to find initially (we did arrive in the dark and I don’t think the hotel is sign-posted very well) the location is great. It’s in a quiet village just outside Sami. We ate dinner in Sami most nights – a 15-20 minute stroll each way along the beach. It’s also a great base for exploring other parts of the island and we had a particularly lovely day in Fiskardo.

Would happily stay here again if we go back to Sami

Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

We loved this fabulous little resort. It is in a quite but convenient location, about 5-10 minute walk from the port of Sami. The rooms are spacious, modern and very clean. We found the staff to be friendly and very helpful - especially the (blonde) receptionist who went out of her way to assist us in organising travel arrangements. The hotel breakfast was excellent with a variety of cereals, fresh fruit, cooked food etc. Hope to return again soon....

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

Hotel was modern spotlessly clean beautiful veiws of mountains and sea. Food was plentiful but I would not recommend half board as there were not enough traditional greek dishes and very little in the way of fresh fish brakfast was good. I would rate food 4 stars. Staff were very friendly and service in restaurant was excellent. The staff were not very knowledge able regarding best restaurants/tavernas in Sami/ Agia Efimia or able to advise on places to visit apart from main tourist beaches. Antisammos is a beautiful beach but does get very busy at this time of year. We did not use the Spa or gym also hairdresser was not available when we visited

England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for one week at the end of June and really loved it. The rooms are all facing towards the sea and they are very modern and clean. All of the staff were friendly and helpful and the Hotel has a lovely relaxed atmosphere.
I can recommend staying half board as the food was excellent and 4 courses every night meant that you were very well fed!
There is a ten mintute walk alond the sea front into Sami, where there are lots of tavernas and bars, which are all reasonably priced.
If you hire a car then don't miss out on a trip to Fiskardo where you can also hire a boat
for the day. It made my holiday, having the freedom to drive to deserted coves and just snorkel in the clear blue sea.
All in all a fabulous holiday and i would love to go back to this beautiful, romantic hotel, with great views of the sea.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Ionian Emerald Resort? Share your experiences!