“Food mouthwatering, Owner smothering” 3 of 5 stars

(705) 549-7000
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Le Maitre D' is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: French, Canadian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Le Maitre D is a personal, neighborhood style restaurant situated in the town of Penetanguishene, a picturesque bilingual community at the southern tip of beautiful Georgian Bay. The 45 seat restaurant serves dinner Tuesday to Sunday from Victoria Day to Thanksgiving, and Thursday to Sunday the rest of the year. The menu selection consists of regional cuisines of France and Canada. It features traditional French-Canadian recipes with a Metis influence - two cultures that are part of the fibre of Huronia.We invite everyone to savour gourmet cuisine that features local products and heritage. We place great emphasis on forming relationships with farmers and artisans. Come, experience our hospitality, enjoy the sounds of French music and the talent of our local artists!~ Dave Brunelle (Owner)
Barrie, Canada
“Food mouthwatering, Owner smothering”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

While visiting friends in the Penetanguishene area, they suggested we try Le Maitre D - as they had heard good things about the food.

We made reservations and showed up to a pretty empty restaurant. I thought maybe it was just to early and it would pick up. We were pounced upon immediately by the owner. After being seated our server informed us about the specials and we ordered. The kitchen was quick to fill our appetizer orders, we thoroughly enjoyed the brie with onions and spices.
While waiting for our main course (we ordered lamb, salmon and the stuffed chicken) the owner kept pacing around and stopping to talk to us and other customers. This is all well and good for a minute but he wouldn't leave the table! My friends and I agreed that we wanted time to catch up and not be bothered by him. Even our server had better manners!

Our server had informed us that the lamb takes a little bit of time because it is made specific to every order. When it arrived it was well worth the wait. It was a perfect medium rare with mashed potatoes and crisp veggies. I would eat that over and over again.

We enjoyed a selection of desserts that are made in house so the server told us. The cheesecake was the best I've ever had! Once it was getting time to leave and we waited for the bill, the owner felt the need to escort us out, pointing out pictures of his family on the way. My friends and I were less then impressed by the way he smothered us and other tables. I would gladly come back for the food, if the owner wasn't there.

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Midland, Canada
“Owner Needs Help”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

We ate at le maitre d restaurant a few weeks ago and the food was spectacular, however, the owner, was very annoying,he kept going on and on about how the restaurant came to be and then proceeded to bore the hell out of our party of 4 aboutall the art on the walls, it was like he wanted to be the centre of attention when all we wanted was to be seated and left alone so that the 4 of us old friends could catch up. A word of advice to the owner, if this happens again, not one of us will come back no matter how good the food.

Visited April 2013
Midland, Ontario, Canada
“Food- First Rate, Owner- Annoying”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I went to Le Maitre D about two weeks ago, the food was amazing. I was dinning alone and wanted it that way but the owner felt it necessary to sit with me. He yammered on and on about the restaurant and the art on the walls. BORING! All I wanted was to enjoy a great meal in piece and quiet. A work to the owner, seat your customers then let them enjoy the food and atmosphere alone or with their company. FOOD- First Rate OWNER-Annoying

• Visited April 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Tiny
“Quelle difference!!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

We dined here first about 3 weeks after its opening. I gave it a tepid review. There were issues with wait staff knowledge of the menu and worse, poorly prepared food. We returned March 19. Quelle difference!!!
Sasha the waitress was well informed. Instead of saying, "Everything is good.", she replied, "I enjoy..." and told us she has dined several times at the restauant. I love to hear staff indicate that they also are patrons of their establishment, a good sign of things to come And so her advice was to the point.
We had a wonderful garden salad with delightful vinaigrette and another appetizer of flaked white fish and crisp breads. Both excellent. I had the 10 ounce pork chop in apple-raisin sauce, chedar mash and crisp veggies. Outstanding!! My partner had salmon cooked medium rare. I had not known fish could be cooked medium rare, but it was perfectly done. Desserts followed, chocolate mousse and a wonderful apple tart. Don't be fooled, besides being very tasty, this tart is a monster.
The difference from first visit to second was night and day. This should become a very popular dining spot, some thing sorely needed in Penetanguishene.
Sasha also suggested a lunch of smoked meat sandwich. I returned later for this sandwich. The only problem was, not enough rye bread. It was piled with lovely smoked meat. Maybe it should come on a kaiser roll. There were just 2 tables in use at the time, but it was 1.30 pm, after the busy lunch period.
Summing up, highly recomended, although parking on street may be difficult.
Le Maitre d' is now at the top of my list for local restaurants.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Toronto
“Good food, pleasant staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I went in with my daughter and 2 friends for dinner on a Sunday night; we were the only people there however we were treated like royalty. The wiatress was friendly, well informed and made sure we knew nothing was a trouble.
I had the brie to start with and it was lovely (bit difficult to get wrong though!) and lamb as a main course. The lamb was cooked perfectly however the veggies were slightly over cooked (but not unedible). My daughter had the creme brulee which I also tried and was lovely.
My only disapointment was that as I was the only one wanting wine and so did not want to buy a whole bottole but the choice to purchase by the glass was very limited. The wine list was a good list but only the odd bottle from Ontario. It would be nice to see a few more choices of local wine.

• Visited April 2013