“Good food, pleasant staff” 4 of 5 stars

+1 705-549-7000
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Le Maitre D' is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: French, Canadian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Le Maitre D is a personal, neighborhood style restaurant situated in the town of Penetanguishene, a picturesque bilingual community at the southern tip of beautiful Georgian Bay. The 60 seat restaurant serves lunch and dinner from Tuesday to Sunday. The menu selection consists of regional cuisines of France and Canada. It features traditional French-Canadian recipes with a Metis influence – two cultures that are part of the fibre of Huronia.We invite everyone to savour gourmet cuisine that features local products and heritage. We place great emphasis on forming relationships with farmers and artisans. Come, experience our hospitality, enjoy the sounds of French music and the talent of our local artists!~ Dave Brunelle (Owner)
Toronto
“Good food, pleasant staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I went in with my daughter and 2 friends for dinner on a Sunday night; we were the only people there however we were treated like royalty. The wiatress was friendly, well informed and made sure we knew nothing was a trouble.
I had the brie to start with and it was lovely (bit difficult to get wrong though!) and lamb as a main course. The lamb was cooked perfectly however the veggies were slightly over cooked (but not unedible). My daughter had the creme brulee which I also tried and was lovely.
My only disapointment was that as I was the only one wanting wine and so did not want to buy a whole bottole but the choice to purchase by the glass was very limited. The wine list was a good list but only the odd bottle from Ontario. It would be nice to see a few more choices of local wine.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

70% Recommend
Tiny
“less than hoped for”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

At last I thought, a French, Metis, style restaurant in Penetang offering more than frites and poutine.
We ate at Le Maitre d' just 3 weeks after opening. Obviously there were things to be worked out. All the staff were pleasant and helpful, but did not seem fully informed on the menu items. When asked about choices I find it discouraging to hear, "Everything is realy good". I'd rather hear, "My favourite is ..." as if to say "I've eaten here myself."
Decor is clean, bright and pleasing. Seats comfortable. As we arrived, there were about 1/2 tables filled. I ordered "duck confit", having eaten this dish once before just weeks earlier. At that time it was wonderful, crispy, golden skin, and perfectly cooked. Le Maitre d' brought it out and the skin was grey, as if the duck had been micro waved, a very sickly colour indeed. The breast portion was delicious, but the duck leg part was way undercooked, raw close to the bone. Roasted poatoes were a side dish and looked very nice. My partner's meal looked good, but veggies were cold and sent back for heating. My roasted potatoes turned out to be badly cooked, very much the texture of rubber. I ate 2 and left the remainder. As we left the restaurant, I walked past a table that had not yet been cleared. There was a plate full of uneaten roasted potatos, so, it was not just my opinion. The potatoes were poorly prepared.
Appetiser of brie and cranberries was excellent but such a tiny portion. Dessert was also first class. But appetiser and dessert do not constitute a fine meal. The owner spoke with us and we were comped the price of one meal, a generous offer.
I checked recipe books to be fair, and all 3 that I consulted stated the duck skin should be golden and crispy. Not so here. But perhaps that is the chef's way.
It was a disappointing experience, but since it was only week 3, we shall return and try again. It would be "honteux" if the place can not survive. This large Francophone community needs Le Maitre d'.

• Visited February 2013