“Beautiful stay .” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 24 Hotels in Kumarakom
“Beautiful stay .”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

10th April 2014
It was nice stay here. We enjoyed the sound of birds around our cottage.
(Kingfisher, woodpecker, drongo, coucal, koel etc..)

We got best deal for stay. Very near to the boat jetty. Moderate food. If you stay in bamboo cottage then you hear some surprising sounds at night (nocturnal animal / birds). They gave mosquito mat but we found not much mosquitoes.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

I stayed in the guest house on 21st december, which they called home with my family and my friend from kochi, Mr Thakur. The rooms wrwe booked online in advance by Expedia, the amount charged was Rs 1497/-.inclusive taxes. After arrival in the reception I was shocked to know that, the same type of room was alloted to my friend for just Rs 975/-.only. When asked at the front office that why there was such a disparity for the same rooms, the lady was clueless. She then asked a gentleman of the home, but he blamed Expedia for what went wrong. After my return to kolkata I asked Expedia, on the customer servce desk which is available round the clock 365 days, the gentleman replied that if you book through Expedia in advance, then an amount should be charged in addition to the room tariff. If this theory goes
correct, then I will definitely say that booking fee of Rs 500/- for a room of Rs 950/- is very very harsh on a budget traveller whose primary aim is to capture the beauty of nature rather than lavishing on a super deluxe room. From my experience over a decade as a nature -
photographer I have stayed in a number of lodge, resort & guest house, but, the facilities
available in this guest house cannot be remarked as a " home " . The house has a good
dinning room but the rates are just a bit too high than the best hotel( HOTEL DUBAI) in the area. Also, the food is only available once you have placed order two hours before, otherwise
you have to depend on the roadside small hotels which to my knowledge are not good.

In a nutshell, if you are planning for a stay in KUMARKOM, just stay
away from this home and dont book through EXPEDIA. because I think they are also responsible for the dramatic episode .

Room Tip: Avoid double rooms beside the canals, just try for cottages & wodden suits ----------
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

The staff was very kind. The place is very good, Rooms were specious and with private balconies. They upgrade us to AC rooms with bit of extra cost. The overall space is good. Only thing that the Kids garden was not maintained properly and also there was some corner area that was not maintained. Location of the hotel is very good.

Room Tip: Its a walking distance from boatjetty or boat parking so if you are coming in houseboat then its 5 m...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

The surroundings do not disappoint with grand teak buildings with magnificent overhanging eaves and generous balconies.

We stayed in a charming first floor room with it's own veranda which provided a delightful refuge from dramatic thunderstorms as we watched rain cascade from the roof.

Food was variable and basic and service a little confused although very friendly. We would recommend eating beside or in your room as the dining area doesn't compete. The veg curry with the idly was extremely bland and gluey.

One downpoint was unexpected and elongated singing from the neighboring temple in the middle of the night. We would be surprised if any rooms are immune and this shattered our extremely peaceful sleep prior to then (from around 3 to getting up). Apparently this was due to a religious festival - check out the dates before booking.

Very handy for the bird sanctuary. We didn't see many birds but did see monitor lizard, snake and turtles. We probably should have got up earlier but had had a bad night (see above).

Room Tip: ask to have a look around and pick your favourite
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Perth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

Beautiful old heritage house very clean and service wonderful. We happened to stay on an unfortunate festival date where the temple next door starts its noisy service at 3am and doesn't stop! Having said that I would still recommend staying for the ambience service and hot showers!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Cairo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

I stayed at that Hotel last night, it was terreble,

Location wise it is very nice, both the location of the hotel and also the room, it was a room in the old building annex made from Bamboo, though I didn't suffer from mosquitos as I didn't turn the lights on when door is closed.

Wi Fi is available only at the Home Office, it is frequently disturbed because the staff used to turn off power of the Router.

I used to get up early (3:30 AM), I tried to connect to Internet but connection was not available as the router with switched off and Office door was closed. I turned on the TV but all channels are in Indian language.

AT 4:00 AM very big noise started from a near by Hindu Temple, I wanted to go and see how are they praying but the main gate of the home was closed so I took the risk and climbed it and jump to the road , went to the temple then came back by the same way - if any one saw me I was going to be in trouble. Having the main gate closed and non attended like that gave the feeling of being at jail not hotel.

The staff are very poor in English, at the time of checking in they told me that they promoted me for a higher class of room than what is mentioned in my reservation, but this was not true.

I advice any one who is used to be annoyed and disturbed by noise not to go to this hotel.

Room Tip: Noise coming from the Temple is heard at all rooms
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Renujoseph, Owner at Tharavadu Heritage Home, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
thank you for the good and bad words you mentioned in the review. I want to make clear that we are closing our main gate after 11pm till morning [5am] for the safety of our guests and staff.
If any guests want to go out in between that time they can contact our office [it is working 24 hours]
We will opened the gate.
Regarding the wifi some renovation work was going on that may it was not working properly.
Regarding the english of staff, the pronunciation of the guest was not so clear that why it was difficult for our staff to understand him properly.
Regarding the music from the temple it is a religious thing we are helpless about it but we are trying to reduce the sound in the room by using glass and curtain.
Ljubljana, Slovenia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

We spent one night in the bamboo cottage at the Tharavadu Heritage home. It was a minimalistic and budget cottage in a bamboo groove. The room was small and very basic. The structure makes it accessible to bugs, which is expected in a bamboo cottage. It was interesting to observe the authentic Kerala architecture. The staff was friendly and service was very good. You needed to order the food one hour ahead, and meals were delicious. The only drawback was the sounds from a nearby temple, the chanting started at 4am and co0ntinued the whole day.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Tharavadu Heritage Home? Share your experiences!