We stayed at this hotel for two nights toward the end of our trip to Kerala. Check-in and check-out were very quick. On arrival, we were offered fresh coconut juice. The resort consists of a very large property with beautiful gardens. Free bicycles are provided to move around the grounds and outside the hotel. There are white geese around the lobby area that parade in unison. Our room was very large and overlooked the artificial lake. The air conditioning was a bit loud but tolerable. The hotel provides a free cruise every afternoon for arriving guests and this is followed by complimentary tea and snacks. The pool is large and we used it only once. On the second day, there was some maitenance going on during pool hours and we were told we could not use it. We ate at the restaurant which was rather overpriced for Indian standards and since this is a luxury hotel, there are lots of additional taxes on food, which can quickly add. We were disappointed by one of our dishes. The manager was very kind and offered us a complimentary dish at our next meal, which was very good. The breaksfast buffet is varied but the outdoor seating is a bit tight and it can get very crowded. The restaurant's surface area should probabl be expanded.
Every evening there is an entertainment program near the restaurant (music, dancing, singing, etc.). The hotel is located next door to the bird sanctuary and very close to the backwaters docking area (where you can rent a boat for an excursion). Water pressure in the bathroom was excellent and the toiletries (soap) were of very good quality.
Re negative points, the plastic menus at the restaurant did not smell very nice (due to the humidity, the plastic quickly ends up smelling if it does not dry properly after being wiped). The bathroom's toilet seat looked very cheap and the bathtub looked rather old -- both should be replaced. Overall, this is a very nice property.
- Also Known As:
- Vivanta By Taj - Kumarakom Hotel Kumarakom
- Vivanta By Taj - Kumarakom Hotel
- Taj Garden Retreat Hotel Kumarakom
- Kumarakom Taj Garden Retreat
- Vivanta By Taj - Kumarakom Kerala
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kumarakom is a popular tourist destination in the Kottayam district of Kerala. Located on the picturesque Vembanad Lake, Vivanta by Taj - Kumarakom, Kerala, is a 30-minute drive from the Kottayam railway station or an hour's drive from Cochin city. Kerala's backwaters surround the 140-year old colonial bungalow which houses this resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Tingo, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Venere, Agoda and Otel so you can book your Vivanta by Taj - Kumarakom reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.